• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How to convert ripped movie to 720p?

reb00n

Hey there,
I've some questions as to what to do after ripping a movie I've bought yesterday. How can I convert these files to a mkv file with a resolution of 1280 x 720 (720p)? Can you give me some tips, for example what tools I need except from AnyDVD HD?

Hope you can help me!

Thanks in advance,
reb00n

There is no "one size fits all" tool, sadly.

I followed the instructions, and used my own (albeit limited) video editing skills, along with instructions/links to instructions/instructions on what to google for, from here and am able to, fairly reliably, backup my HD-DVDs and Blu-Rays to x264.

If someone honestly comes in here and walks you through every step, I'd love to see it... the way I'm doing is awkward, convoluted, and hardly worth the time IMHO, but I've not looked into other methods. If you're looking for an "HD-DVD Shrink" type program, it doesn't exist... yet :D

Good luck!

Hi hotdog,
thanks for your post. Of course I'm not looking for a one-click-tool. ;) I was rather looking for some kind of tool packages, including all (!) the tools I'll need to convert a ripped HDDVD to 720p!

Regards,
reb00n

Hey again,
here's a short tutorial I found.

Hi,

I´ve successfully converted VC-1 .evo to .mkv x264 on XP. Trying to do it now on Vista. I was able to convert only the video though, not audio, since, as fas as I know, there´s still no DD+ decoder that can be fed to AVISynth and such.

Just trying to help. Here´s the steps I followed:

1. Rip your HD-DVD disc using HDDVDBackup or one of its ports (Java or C#). In your destination directory you should have two folders: ADV_OBJ and HDDVD_TS.

2. Use EVODemux (latest version is 0.619 I think) to demux your .evo files. On the .EVO file text box browse to your HDDVD_TS folder and select the main feature .EVO file. This is usually named FEATURE_1.EVO or PEVOB_1.EVO (it could be named yet differently (on CANAL HD discs I think), so search for the one or two largest .EVO files).

3. Press the `Read EVO` button and the `Read XPL` button. You will get some information displayed in the Status and XPL tabs. Go thru the video, audio and subs tabs and select the streams you wish to demux. If you hover you mouse over the checkbox I think you get some information such as language of audio and subs tracks.

4. On the options tab, make sure the `Continue with second EVO` checkbox is checked and choose your output directory and file extensions (the default extensions worked fine for me).

5. Click `Demux` and watch the MB progress indicator on the status bar as the app demux the one or two .EVO files.

6. Demuxing is done. You will now probably have at least a VC-1 video stream file named `filename.mpv` and one DD+ or MLP audio stream named `filename.mpa` and one `filename.sup` file for each language sub stream on your destination directory.

7. For the video: If you have scenarist 4.1 installed you can feed it (the .mpv file) directly to AVISynth using DirectShowSource, make sure to specify some required parameters like so:

DirectShowSource ("C:\Path_to\Filename.mpv",video=true,audio=false,fps=23.976,framecount=NNNNNN,seek=true,seekzero=false)
ConvertToYV12 ()
Crop (0,N,0,-N)

This is the basic .avs script I´m using. The converttoyv12() was required by megui and the crop () is to cut off black bars on top/bottom of the video to reduce encoded size (make sure the vertical resolution is a multiple of 16 after it´s cropped).

If you just want to test, add

Trim (0,5000) to the end of the script so you will only encode the first, e.g., 5000 frames to see the results.

You can now open this script in MeGUI and choose your codec and container, such as .mkv

8. If you don´t have Scenarist but have WinDVD 8 Platinum. There´s an extra step: open GraphEdit and build a graph:

File Source (Async.): Filename.mpv ---> InterVideo Demultiplexer ---> InterVideo Video Decoder

Save this graph in the same directory as your demuxed files. Use this .grf file in the .avs script instead of the .mpv:

DirectShowSource ("C:\Path_to\Filename.grf",video=true,audio=false,fps=23.976,framecount=NNNNNN,seek=true,seekzero=false)
ConvertToYV12 ()
Crop (0,N,0,-N)
Trim (0,5000)

and open this in MeGUI

----------------------------------------------

These are the steps I used and they worked for me, with XP. I´m trying to do this now with Vista... Having trouble though...

Hope this helps...

P.S.: The only thing in the steps above is finding the correct framecount for a movie. EVODemux reports number of frames when the movie is demuxed, if this option is enabled on the options tab ('count frames'), but, in my experience, and I may be wrong, it isn´t reporting the correct number, yet. In the EVOB Demuxer thread here on Doom9 they have said that all HD-DVD discs are encoded at 23.976 fps. I don´t know if this is correct, but you roughly figure out how many frames by using

Feature duration in seconds * 23.976

You can see the feature duration in the XPL tab of EVODemuxer. I´ve tried counting frames using this and it wasn´t precise for me, the count yielded a framecount that lasted a few seconds more than the feature...

Does anyone of you know if this works?

It works as well as any of the guides; it was the one I used as a launching point.

This is another good one. Honestly, they're all semi-out dated, it's kind of odd, hehe.

if you have nero installed you can import an avc encoded hd dvd and recode it to 720p. You can do this with or without the nero hd plug-in. HOWEVER the audio does not work, just the video gets recoded. have not tried any of my vc-1 encoded movies yet.

if you have nero installed you can import an avc encoded hd dvd and recode it to 720p. You can do this with or without the nero hd plug-in. HOWEVER the audio does not work, just the video gets recoded. have not tried any of my vc-1 encoded movies yet.

Interesting. How do you go about getting the audio added on then? Any steps you normally take? Or just the old fashioned fun of VirtualDub :D?

got it to work on a trailer evo file usinf the above method plus, eac3to and yamb. tough to tell if the audio was in sync do to the trailer having a lot of fast motion and maybe 1 second of speaking where you actually get to see lips moving. trying the full movie now, only another 3 hrs before vision is done then i need to put the audio in. will let you know. you DO need the nero hd plugin for eac3to to work though.

didnt work, tried a bunch of tools but cant get the audio into the feature mp4. for some reason when i try and convert the ac3 audio file into any format (mp4, mp3, wav) it is only 13 minutes. but if i play the ac3 directly it is the full length so i know the original is fine. keep playing though. will report if i get a working process.

Back