• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How to add 3D subtitles to a full resolution 3D movie (MVC decoding with frame-packing rendering)

hr_muadib

Hello to ALL.

In my country is very difficult to have some movies available on my native language. I'm talking about 2D movies, but even more difficult to have 3D movies with the subtitles I want.

I buy the original discs and I’m able to use RedFox AnyDVDHD to properly gain access to my movies, I do not compress or change anything for the original content, I’m interested ONLY on the main movie.

After this initial but important task I'm also able to add to 2D bluray titles by using the proper srt subtitle files, along with some free tools that take care of the convertion for the blyray format!

My problem is always regarding the full resolution 3D movie (MVC decoding with frame-packing rendering), i do not want to use SBS or Top Bottom subtitles or movie, i would like to create my own 3D subtitles, natively, using the original 3D main movie.

Is this possible?

What tools can i use to do this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best regards,
hr_muadib

There's no such thing as a 3d subtitle. There subtitles in 3d movies are the same as in 2d subtitles except that they have a z-index offset.

Hi, you can use srt converted with goSUP in SUP/PGS, use tsMuxeR and add subtitles, check "3d offset" by selecting the subtitle.

Hi, you can use srt converted with goSUP in SUP/PGS, use tsMuxeR and add subtitles, check "3d offset" by selecting the subtitle.

Thank you ocean. I will try to do just that.

UPDATE:
I was able to create the SUP/PGS subtitles from the SRT file i have with no problems, i was also able to build withh tsMuxeR the new 3D ISO and sucessfully added the new subtitle to it BUT the subtitle appears only in 2D, not with the 3D effect i need!
What i'am i doing wrong! Probably something quite easy... Appreciate some feedback.

Last edited:
On the right side of "3d offset" select "plane # 0", "plane # 1", "plane # 2" etc.
based on the position of subtitles.

Last edited:

UPDATE:
I was able to create the SUP/PGS subtitles from the SRT file i have with no problems, i was also able to build withh tsMuxeR the new 3D ISO and sucessfully added the new subtitle to it BUT the subtitle appears only in 2D, not with the 3D effect i need!
What i'am i doing wrong! Probably something quite easy... Appreciate some feedback.
On the right side of "3d offset" select "plane # 0", "plane # 1", "plane # 2" etc.
based on the position of subtitles.

3D subtitle is broken in tsmuxer and no it won't work.

Extrapolated doom9 thread tsMuxeR:

The 3D-plane must have valid 3D data, or your subtitles will be displayed without 3D effect. Note that even when tsMuxeR tells you that there are 32 3D-planes in the MPLS, that doesn't mean that all planes are filled with valid 3D data. Most of them are "empty" (filled with 0x80 values). Some cheap 3DBDs have no valid planes at all, and in that case, you cannot display the subtitles in 3D.

It is not easy to select a good plane offset, as usually the 3D-planes of the original BD have been designed for specific subtitle streams. You should select a plane that is used for a language similar to the language of your additional subtitle stream: approximately the same length of strings, same positions on screen, and same forced subtitles.

Note also that for a good 3D effect, you need to position your subtitles precisely at the same places than in the original BD. Usually, an external subtitle stream has been converted from a SRT file, and therefore all subtitles are located in the bottom centre of the screen. The 3D-plane of the original BD may not be suitable for that subtitle stream.

Best regards,
hr_muadib
Extrapolated doom9 thread tsMuxeR:

The 3D-plane must have valid 3D data, or your subtitles will be displayed without 3D effect. Note that even when tsMuxeR tells you that there are 32 3D-planes in the MPLS, that doesn't mean that all planes are filled with valid 3D data. Most of them are "empty" (filled with 0x80 values). Some cheap 3DBDs have no valid planes at all, and in that case, you cannot display the subtitles in 3D.

It is not easy to select a good plane offset, as usually the 3D-planes of the original BD have been designed for specific subtitle streams. You should select a plane that is used for a language similar to the language of your additional subtitle stream: approximately the same length of strings, same positions on screen, and same forced subtitles.

Note also that for a good 3D effect, you need to position your subtitles precisely at the same places than in the original BD. Usually, an external subtitle stream has been converted from a SRT file, and therefore all subtitles are located in the bottom centre of the screen. The 3D-plane of the original BD may not be suitable for that subtitle stream.

Thank you so much ocean for your explanation. I understood well the possible application and limitations based on your last text. I already tried and it works, but NOT 100%, like you say the streams must be compatible on both position on screen and also timing for what i understood from my experience. Indeed the subtitles i add into the movie appear sometimes with the 3D effect BUT they are not in sync with the 3D effect!

Once again thank you for your time and patience, finally i understood how it works.

One final question... Is there any software (paid!) that would allow me to create my own 3d effect subtitles!?

There's no such thing as a 3d subtitle. There subtitles in 3d movies are the same as in 2d subtitles except that they have a z-index offset.

Thank you Chevron,
i really was not aware of that (2d subtitle that have a z-index offset to be recognized as a 3D subtile)

Question:
Is it possible to add or create functional 3D subtitles (taken from 2D in SRT or SUP files) to a 3D movie to be muxed via tsmuxer, or that is not possible at all?
Does a free software solution exist?

Thank you in advance.

The z-index I was referring too is the same thing as the '3d plane' you've been trying. I just didn't know any other term to name it.

Thank you Chevron,
i really was not aware of that (2d subtitle that have a z-index offset to be recognized as a 3D subtile)

Question:
Is it possible to add or create functional 3D subtitles (taken from 2D in SRT or SUP files) to a 3D movie to be muxed via tsmuxer, or that is not possible at all?
Does a free software solution exist?

Thank you in advance.

@hr_muadib have you found a way to add 3d subtitles to a full 3d movie? im looking for a way to add 3d spanish subs to a3d movie i have that only has german subs (daybreakers 3d)

Back