• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How long should it take to rip to my hard drive?

mrpep

Dark night is taking 1 hour minutes:28. This is my first time but is this normal time?

depends on the drives read speed that is the major choke point for todays computers most single 7200rpm hdds can read @ ~70mbps and aslong as you have a core 2 or better cpu your cpu wount even "break a sweat"

ripping an iso *leave protection on) seems to be quicker than ripping to hard drive.

it also depends on the drive, how it's connected and whether you have Daemon tools installed

Hi :)
Not only is this dependent on CPU ODD & HDD.
But whether it is full disc or movie only.
My setup means movie only is usually around 6 > 8 mins. When the size is similar to that of DARK KNIGHT.
Full disc is only 1 > 2 mins extra.
I can (& have backed up this disc with AnyDVD HD + CloneDVD2) do a complete backup in under 15 mins for full disc. 12 mins for movie only.
Bluray of course is longer & I've yet to go that route.
However to find out whether your time is good/bad/indifferent. More info required.

Last edited:
how do you manage to get the full movie off that quickly? Doesn't that work out around 70Mbytes per second?

perhaps we should clarify ?

you posted in anydvd hd, so i assumed you're talking about a blu-ray rip ?

he must have a ~70 X br-dvd drive
you are mainly limited to the read speed of your optical drive if it is 2x than it will only rip 2x the speed of playing the entire movie adds and all but unless your like zebadee and have a ~70x then it would be limited to hdd and cpu!

Last edited:
I average 45 min rips on complete commercial Blu-ray BD-ROM disk to hard drive.

Registry cleaned out, no un-necessary startups, hard drive cleaned up, using resources for rip only.
All settings on computer set for performance and default settings, XP pro operating system. No overclocking on BIOS
3.16 cpu, 2GB ram
LG GBW-H20L optical drive with latest firmware

After rip, downsizing, creating Blu-ray structure, and burning takes much less.

:agree:

Last edited by a moderator:
depends on the drives read speed that is the major choke point for todays computers most single 7200rpm hdds can read @ ~70mbps and aslong as you have a core 2 or better cpu your cpu wount even "break a sweat"

Single SATA II drives can reach almost 120 mbps read.
WD VelociRaptor is around 110 on average.
When Raid0 like mine I get average read speed of 180+.
When ripping pressed DVD's using patched f/w 16x max is achievable.
Most get 12x at best with pressed DL DVD's.
It is early days yet for Bluray.
However in my post I am referring to DVD's, as an example.
I actually state I haven't as yet bothered with Bluray, though have the capability.
You simply take my times & multiply to estimate how long Bluray would take.
(Bear in mind volume as well as speed needs to be accounted for.)

Easier is to look at length of movie & divide by the actual speed drive is capable of.
(Movie only - 2 hrs divide by max speed of drive 4x = 30 mins)
This is of course theoretical, however times should be within + 50 > 100% of this for most users.
Hence typical times of 45 > 60 mins depending on set up.

Last edited:
But he was asking for real times not theoretical speeds that can't be reached yet, even on a 6x Blu-ray drive you're lucky if you reach 15-20Mbytes/s, and using the approximate times and size of a DVD you supply your discs are coming off at around 16mbytes/s

Last edited:
No matter what the maximum speed of your drive is you aren't going to rip an entire BD at the maximum theoretical limit. Speeds will fluctuate and then you also have to take into account the maximum speed based on whether the disc is a BD-25 or BD-50 disc to begin with.

Some discs may rip quicker than others. Some drives will be faster than others from the beginning. Factor in other hardware in the system and you can't definitively say it should take X amount of time.

Dark night is taking 1 hour minutes:28. This is my first time but is this normal time?

To actually answer your question,
that it totally normal :agree:

My experience has shown that ripping full Blu-ray movies to my 1TB Seagate HDD takes anywhere between:
50 minutes and 1 hr 30 mins

Your ripping times will vary depending wheather the movie you're ripping is a single layer (25GB) or a dual layer (50GB) and on the speed of your:
- Hard Drive
- CPU
- BD-ROM

The wait is entirely worth it :rock:

Last edited:
Well it took 1 hour 28 minutes/ this is a bluray....sound about right?
I have a intel duo core e4500 2.2 ghz oc'd to 3.0 ghz, 4 ghz ddr2 ocz ram, the hard drive is a western digital caviar blue sata 320 gb. The picture quality is awsome but it seems choppy (laggy), very slightly but noticeable...what could be causing this?

Well it took 1 hour 28 minutes/ this is a bluray....sound about right?
I have a intel duo core e4500 2.2 ghz oc'd to 3.0 ghz, 4 ghz ddr2 ocz ram, the hard drive is a western digital caviar blue sata 320 gb. The picture quality is awsome but it seems choppy (laggy), very slightly but noticeable...what could be causing this?

Couldn't help notice, you didn't specify what graphics card you're running :eek:

Is it at least a 8600GT?

I'm not too familiar with ATI these days, but when it comes to NVidia, the 8600GT is a great card for HD playback.

I've build several systems for friends/family with this card....none of which for gamers mind you :)

If you're just playing back the m2ts file then I'd expect it ti be choppy as you get no hardware acceleration from the graphics card in file mode

Single SATA II drives can reach almost 120 mbps read.
WD VelociRaptor is around 110 on average.
When Raid0 like mine I get average read speed of 180+.
When ripping pressed DVD's using patched f/w 16x max is achievable.
Most get 12x at best with pressed DL DVD's.

single hdds today only have about 120 mbps read yes, sata 1.5 has a bandwidth of 1.5mhz (150m/s actual) and sata 3=3ghz 300mb/s actual

the hdd interface i.e. sata ,pata dosent matter because the fastest hdd @ 120gbps would run just as fast on a old pata 133 interface. So again it dosent matter the interface at all!

also were discussing the hdd read where it is the write that matters in this situation

with a software raid ICH9R like im sure your using you will get ~180mbps read on 2x V-Raptors striped and thay are the fastest hdds 10,000rpm hdds today. and when your ripping it is still all limited to your optical read rate which i guarentee no one had a optical drive reading at more than 21 mbps so... as long as you have a old 5400rpm pata hdd your hdd is faster than yout optical drive!

attached is software raid-0 16k 2x raptor x

Attachments

• hdtac.jpg
    hdtac.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
If you're just playing back the m2ts file then I'd expect it ti be choppy as you get no hardware acceleration from the graphics card in file mode

Dark Knight is VC1, all the overclocking in the world won't get your picture smoothe. We had the same exact-same question yesterday already, so the search could have helped you.

You need to make a blu-ray structure with TsMuxer, convert to ISO with imgburn and mount with VCD. Now you can play back in powerdvd smoothly.

Back