• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How long shoud it take to rip a Blu-ray Disc?

in my case it starts up slow but reaches full speed within the first 45 seconds or so, then usually maintains this speed to what I assume is the layer break on a BD disc,

I don't know this for a fact but I was told a while back that DL discs actually stop and spin the opposite way at the layer break, witch would explain why things slow a lil in the middle of the rip, My lite ons change spin speed to counteract what your explaining above so there for keeps the same speed but the higher the rate of data you try to read the more what your explaining above becomes harder to counteract to keep a steady speed of data flow, faster also adds to error rates too.

I have never used LG personally, I have heard they are good, but not as good as plextor and lite on, but things change all the time.

Actually I was talking about this specific 6X LG drive. With slower drives it wouldn't be too hard to reach max read speed (linear) quickly. Is the drive you're talking about a 6X or a 2X drive? If it's 6x and it reaches that within the first minute, then the 20-30 min times reported are perfectly reasonable. And if so, I SO want that drive! But I'm afraid it's NOT the LG drive most of us have.

About the spin direction, I am almost completely positively sure that they keep spinning the same way all the time. I'd never heard of such thing as them stopping and turning around. It doesn't make sense either, I can't even imagine why they would design it that way, but either way, I don't get slowdowns on layer break, I get max speed at about the middle of the rip, presumably when the laser is reading the outermost part of the disc.

This behavior though is drive-dependant, some dvd drives will say something like 8X CLV or CAV, which mean constant linear velocity and c. angular velocity. There's of course as you say a limit, so the faster the drive gets, the harder it is to use CLV.

The typical movie disc (DVD, BD or HDDVD) uses what is called Opposite Track Path (OTP) recording.

That is, the data on the disc is recorded on the first layer starting at the center spindle and moving outward in a spiral until half of the data has been recorded. At that point, while the disc still turns in the same direction and at the same speed, the record (or playback) laser switches its focus to the second layer and begins spiraling inward as it writes (or reads) the remainder of the data.

This approach makes the adjustment time from one layer to another as short as possible, making that transition short or invisible. That transition from one layer to another and from outward to inward is called the layer break.

The alternative (and somewhat more intuitive) method is called Parallel Track Path (PTP) recording. In that case, as much data as will fit can be written to the first layer (although half yields best performance in most cases) then the drive head returns to the center of the disc, adjusts focus to the second layer and begins moving outward for the remainder of the data.

PTP is poor for movie recordings because of the additional time it takes to move the head from the outside of the disc to the inside between layers, requiring either larger buffers or creating uglier breaks.

So, in the typical case (OTP), the drive head switches direction from outward to inward but the disc continues to spin in the same direction.

The typical movie disc (DVD, BD or HDDVD) uses what is called Opposite Track Path (OTP) recording.
Good explanation - whoever said the drive spins in the opposite direction was probably misunderstanding the opposite track path technology.
FWIW, my LG GGC-H20L 6x is in line with others - ~45 minutes for most BD's > 25GB in size (which most are).

Good explanation - whoever said the drive spins in the opposite direction was probably misunderstanding the opposite track path technology.
FWIW, my LG GGC-H20L 6x is in line with others - ~45 minutes for most BD's > 25GB in size (which most are).

Yeah, and it PTP would explain why he saw some slowdown at the middle of the rip too. I didn't know some discs were PTP, I wonder if it's disc dependent or is it the drive. I don't think I've seen that behavior in any of a big number of dual-layer DVDs I've ripped with DVDDecrypter and a Pioneer 110 drive.

That is, the data on the disc is recorded on the first layer starting at the center spindle and moving outward in a spiral until half of the data has been recorded. At that point, while the disc still turns in the same direction and at the same speed, the record (or playback) laser switches its focus to the second layer and begins spiraling inward as it writes (or reads) the remainder of the data.

This approach makes the adjustment time from one layer to another as short as possible, making that transition short or invisible. That transition from one layer to another and from outward to inward is called the layer break.

The alternative (and somewhat more intuitive) method is called Parallel Track Path (PTP) recording. In that case, as much data as will fit can be written to the first layer (although half yields best performance in most cases) then the drive head returns to the center of the disc, adjusts focus to the second layer and begins moving outward for the remainder of the data.

PTP is poor for movie recordings because of the additional time it takes to move the head from the outside of the disc to the inside between layers, requiring either larger buffers or creating uglier breaks.

So, in the typical case (OTP), the drive head switches direction from outward to inward but the disc continues to spin in the same direction.

thanks for that explanation, I was wondering why my first DL burner (when they first came out) the burning soft wear was filling one layer and part of the other and when I updated my soft wear ever thing was 50 % dead on both layers,
thou i never see a layer break on any disc in any of my players my guess is they have larger buffers specially now a days.:)

maybe or I forgot what was said to me exactly like 4 years ago or more lol
had it somewhat right something does go one way and then the other lol

Actually I was talking about this specific 6X LG drive. With slower drives it wouldn't be too hard to reach max read speed (linear) quickly. Is the drive you're talking about a 6X or a 2X drive? If it's 6x and it reaches that within the first minute, then the 20-30 min times reported are perfectly reasonable. And if so, I SO want that drive! But I'm afraid it's NOT the LG drive most of us have.

About the spin direction, I am almost completely positively sure that they keep spinning the same way all the time. I'd never heard of such thing as them stopping and turning around. It doesn't make sense either, I can't even imagine why they would design it that way, but either way, I don't get slowdowns on layer break, I get max speed at about the middle of the rip, presumably when the laser is reading the outermost part of the disc.

This behavior though is drive-dependant, some dvd drives will say something like 8X CLV or CAV, which mean constant linear velocity and c. angular velocity. There's of course as you say a limit, so the faster the drive gets, the harder it is to use CLV.

in my case it was a 2 X are 6 X even out in the USA? yet? or any wear? not that I'm ready to spend another 450 on a burner reader combo like I did 7 months ago.

in my case it was a 2 X are 6 X even out in the USA? yet? or any wear? not that I'm ready to spend another 450 on a burner reader combo like I did 7 months ago.

Yeah, the LG drives, both of them, the reader and the burner, are 6X max. Mine does reach almost 6X but only at the end of the first layer/beginning of the second, where linear velocity is the fastest.

Yeah, the LG drives, both of them, the reader and the burner, are 6X max. Mine does reach almost 6X but only at the end of the first layer/beginning of the second, where linear velocity is the fastest.
yeah I understand what your saying and I'm not saying it's wrong but also most companies exaggerate space as they add things up differently then windows witch is probably adding to why you don't quite make it,
they say 16 X for DVD does a SL full 4.37 GB disc in 5 Min's and it does, however it also says in most burn apps thats about 21-22 MBps in reality the drives never go over 17 MB and mostly lag at 10 or 11 MBps if they ran 22 MBps you'd be done with both burn and verification within 6 Min's max it's actually nearly 12
point is what they advertise you never get in windows on anything

and llet me guess they want 700 or so for it? :(

and llet me guess they want 700 or so for it? :(

700... Money? Those LG drives are so popular because they offered (and still do) excellent value, probably the best. At the time the XBOX HD-DVD drive was like $180, these LG came out at $300 or even a bit less, with bluray and HD-DVD. I've never EVER been impressed with LG (quite the contrary), until I got this drive. You should probably get one, it seems you missed the memo:D.

700... Money? Those LG drives are so popular because they offered (and still do) excellent value, probably the best. At the time the XBOX HD-DVD drive was like $180, these LG came out at $300 or even a bit less, with bluray and HD-DVD. I've never EVER been impressed with LG (quite the contrary), until I got this drive. You should probably get one, it seems you missed the memo:D.

for $300 did it burn?

back when I got my drive there were not as many options out there, there was the Sony one that burned and read BD and DVDs Cd's for 1,000 and that came with no blank disc and no commercial BD playback software. it came with powerdvd but not a version that could play encrypted discs, and this was also a EDIE drive "ick"
this was about mid July 2007
most drives only burned and read, no read only drives, most were $800 up the cheapest for the time was $465 witch was a lite on, it does both read and burn DVD CD and BD disc's it came with commercial playback version of powerdvd, it came with one rewritable BD_R from TDK witch was great for playing with a new drive and testing and learning. at the time that was 50 % or so less then most other drives,adding another big bonus the drive is sata 2.

shortly after they came out with drives from LG that did read HD DVD and BD and burned regular DVDs, but 300 is just to high for a read only drive. I knew HD DVD would eventually die and did so very shortly after it's not even worth worries about that feature.
when I was done I ended up with all the BD features for little over 100 dollars more, I got the XBox 360 add on on sale got it's value back+ in free HD DVD movies, so in the end I had HD DVD BD DVD CD ALL Read and all burn except for HD DVD was read only. the difference was only in the end little over 100 dollars with the free movies, I own my disc's so the 2 X drive taken 30-90 Min's long doesn't bother me in-fact i kinda like it cause I can rip it while I use my computer for other things with no impact on performance, about 2 disc's come out a week give or take so 2 over nights aren't the end of the world,
i know allot of people have to upgrade every time there current isn't the best or fastest, but buy the time I need the upgrade in speed I'll get perhaps a 10 X for 100 bucks and will have gotten a good amount of use out of my 465 dollar investment in my current drive, just my opinion for my setup use and how hard I work for my money to have all these nice things:eek:

now if I was ripping all my BD's at 2 X and then burning afterwords at 2 X
then I would really want the upgrade. and I probably would get it, because of the double lap per disc, actually it be 3 laps cause of verification. but for now it's only for reading and burn testing, mainly for my standalone. and only SL disc's. it does burn DL I just don't use bigger disc's for my testing.

with the 90 Min's to rip and ISO barely takes 12 Min's to create out of 48 GB and I'm done and ready to use my ISO on my comp and I do store my more used ones on some external HDDs,

so for my use I'd save 30-60 Min's on my rip
were if i were burning I'd save
30-60 Min's rip
30-60 burn
30-60 verify so in otherworlds 30-60 min extra don't bother me but 90 Min's -3 hours would.

it's all in your use really weather it matters or not,

my BD drive is the Lite On BLH-2B1S "SCSI CD ROM DEVICE" "whatever that means".
my standalone to spite my dislike of Sony has not steered me wrong yet with burned or original BD disc's" over 400 originals to date BDP-S300 played them all, this was the model that Sony came out with to get the player price down from $1'000 to $500 back in like may or June 2007.

I've had my Sony Blu-ray Writer for over a year now, and when I bought mine it cost me £249 from the USA including carriage and came with PowerDVD for Blu-ray and is still going strong

I bought my first Sony BD writer/reader for close to $400 beginning of 07 and sold it in eBay for $300 to trade the LG drive for both BD and HDDVD. Not to long after that HDDVD died... I still remember not too long ago I look like a kid look at those candy when I first notice a BD drive in the shelf from my local computer store; I think it costs something like $700+ just 2 to 3 years ago... $700/$250 I think that is what the LG goes for nowadays, right? 67% drop.

But nothing beat my iPhone :bang: I bought it the VERY first day when they launch, no need to wait in the line, and few months after that from $599 to $399 and only get $100 back credit from them. Now, they are talking $199 now when 3G iPhone release in June. $599/$199; 67% drop too but only took 11 months :mad:

Oh one more thing, I plan to back up 2 BDs and report to you all later today and how long does it take.

Last edited:
Let me clock one and report all the info to you all by tomorrow.

What I usually do is throw a disk in and give my daughter a ride to her school, less than 10 miles, and by the time, I return it usually done if not close. But I have to admit that I never time/clock it. Once again will let you know all the info by tomorrow.

Just did one now. See below info.

Letters from Iwo Jima
30.05G
Start at 5:41 PM PST
End at 6:16 PM PST
Duration: 35 mins

I guess I am 5 mins off after all. But some of them I sure take longer and some of them I sure take less. But again I will say I can back up one BD using Imgburn 35 mins plus or minus 5 mins not 25 to 30 mins I quote before.

I have clocked my (AnyDVD) BD rips @ 35 min. for a 22 gig'er8)

btw I use all Seagate 32mb cache HDD's for storage

Edit: OK, I did a controlled test too, I started @ 2:10:10EST ripping Eragon BD to HDD as folder w/ AnyDVDHD, it topped out @ 18.97mbp/s, it finished @ 2:34:45

Less than 25 min for a 20.4GB BD rip from a LG GGC-H20L Blu Ray/HD-DVD reader to a 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 w/ 32mb cache HDD, not too bad I think (btw I just did a fresh install this weekend w/ my new rig)

1897.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

ocgw

peace

Last edited:
Back