How fast are people's transcoding times with m.2 nVme Drives?

Discussion in 'CloneBD' started by gameowl, Apr 17, 2019.

1. gameowl

gameowl Well-Known Member

I'm going to buy soon a m.2 nVme they've really come down in price and I feel nows the time to buy one. With people transcoding say 45GB bluray rip, ripped with AnyDVD HD, and transcoding with CloneBD using your video cards hardware acceleration with the movie rip on a m.2 nVme drive. How fast with all this I said does it first say time to transcode the bluray rip? I'm eager to know.

2. MartyMcNuts

MartyMcNuts Well-Known Member

I have a GTX1060 6GB and a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 drive and the average mkv video encoding time (@25Mb/s) is about 30-40 mins depending on movie length.

whatever_gong82 likes this.
  3. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

Afaik even a sata SSD will outperform any GTX 10xx series, not sure about the rtx series. The 'bottleneck' will be the GPU. My GTX 1080A does a full disc backup to BD25 in about 14 min's. Even a standard sata drive can handle that (as long as you don't use the same standard HDD then to read and write to)

The main priority is a GPU for fast processing

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

I don't have an m.2 drive yet but using the same HDD as source & output (Toshiba X300 6TB SATA III) and a SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) working folder drive it takes ~15 minutes to do a complete backup to BD-25 using a RTX 2060. CUDA decoding & encoding. Highest quality.

Replicas (~42 GB) to BD-25 took 12:33 start to finish.

Specs:

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Extreme [BIOS 3801]
    Intel Core i7 6700K
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3200
    ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2060 OC
    Samsung EVO 850 1TB
    Toshiba X300 6TB

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  5. gameowl

gameowl Well-Known Member

I have a MSI GeForce GTX 980TI 6GB. It's still a heavy hitter card. I paid a pretty penny for it in 2016. Using it with CloneBD most rips using highest quality setting transcoding take 25 minutes. Also take note, the hard drive I transcode it on a Seagate SSHD 1TB FireCuda. Using Full Disk Encryption with the AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) 256-bit, with a 256-bit key. I'm using on my CPU AES-NI to speed up encryption/decryption by 30%. I'm transcoding my bluray rips on a separate partition on my boot drive. All this partition has is movie rips on it. And that partition is also full disk encrypted. Love, Red Fox and Elaborate Bytes, I'd be lost without you guys.

6. imcatinhiding

imcatinhiding Well-Known Member

I have a ssd drive for boot drive/win10 and a 1tb hd for storage and anydvd/clonebd. If I were to get a nvme m.2 drive would it be best to put anydvd and clone bd on the m.2 drive by themselves?
    thanks!

7. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

Not at all, they're small programs with a tiny footprint. The GPU will do the encoding and the drive will then do the writing. Install on the standard drive you always do, then perhaps set the RIPPING TARGET DRIVE (AnyDVD rip) to the nvme or sata SSD, so when clonebd loads the image and encodes it there's maximum performance

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8. imcatinhiding

imcatinhiding Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for the advice.