• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How do you force 4x burning on Verbatim DL media

nododo

I'm using the following:

CloneCD 5.3.01
Sony DRU 830A (S22 firmware)
Verbatim DL +R (95310 Singapore) advertised as 2.4x-8x

I set cloneCD to burn at 4x but as soon as it begins writing the image, it quickly reverts back to 2.4x. I got the impression from one of WebSlinger's threads that 4x was possible and apparently robust. How do you do it?

Thanks.

I got the impression from one of WebSlinger's threads that 4x was possible and apparently robust. How do you do it?

That might be a limitation of your drive's firmware; I'm not sure. Keep in mind Clonecd shows the actual write speed while burning--and not just what you selected.

You should take a look at you Clonecd log and see what write speed you selected. (Tools-->Log)

Using one of my burners, a Plextor PX-760, in this case, and the same media, when I select 4x, it does say in the Clonecd log that the write speed is set to 4x, and my burn speed about halfway through is showing about 5300-5500 kB/s, which is consistent with a 4x write speed for that burner.

Last edited:
I checked and the average burn speed is 3320 kB/s or roughly 40mins per disc. That's alright, though, I can live with that, considering the output is very reliable. Thanks for looking into it.

I checked and the average burn speed is 3320 kB/s or roughly 40mins per disc. That's alright, though, I can live with that, considering the output is very reliable. Thanks for looking into it.

Normally, I would suggesting trying faster burn speeds or trying different firmwares, but Verbatim + R dl media is very pricey stuff to be testing different methods on.

Maybe James or someone else will have a better answer than the one I have provided, which, I realize doesn't amount to much more than something like, "Well, it worked for me." Not a very satisfying response, I know . . .

Sorry

Verbatim Dual Layer

I have used quite a few Verbatim Dual Layer (DVD+R DL) I can tell you for sure this much: No matter what the media says the speed is "Up to". Your burner and firmware determines how fast the Burner will support on any given brand & type media. I find it useful to use Nero Info Tool, insert a blank disc in your "burner". cancel autorun, open Nero Info tool, take a look in your burner model at look at the disc, it will tell you the coding, and it will tell you "supported burn speeds". I would not try and force a higher burn speed than the burner supports. Example: I have a GSA-4167B LG Burner, it Will support 6x burning on the newer Verbatim DVD+R DL media. However, I have played with it and it does best @4x. A lot of burners will do best at 2.4x. Slower can be better. A Full, Dual Layer Back-Up can be time consuming for sure, but these discs are a little pricy still to make coasters with. My sound advice is, if you are not sure what speed, try 2.4x to be safe. That is, If you have a burner that suports this newer media.

I have used quite a few Verbatim Dual Layer (DVD+R DL) I can tell you for sure this much: No matter what the media says the speed is "Up to". Your burner and firmware determines how fast the Burner will support on any given brand & type media.

Excellent point! :agree:

Back