• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How do I copy DVDs to my external hard drive?

iSarge4

I need to put movie DVDs on an external hard drive. Assume I have a desktop with an optical drive and an external hard drive (WD My Passport 2TB) connected via USB 3.0.

1. What is the software I need?
  2. What are the general steps (recommend a guide to me if you want)?
  3. What output format to the external HDD?

Terse responses are encouraged.

1. The AnyDVD built-in ripper will do just fine if all you want is 1:1 copies
2. http://docs.redfox.bz/manual/anydvd/
3. What do you mean? That depends on what it is you want to do. Do you want 1:1 backups, do you want mobile format files such as mp4,mkv,...

On #3: Sorry I did not help you to understand my plight on #3. Ok, I think a 1:1 backup is what I'm looking to do. At least, I'm fairly certain that is what I want to do, so I'll go with 1:1 backup.

Just one question: I will be able to play these movies on a PC/laptop for viewing, is that correct?

If you're using a licensed DVD player software yes, there are free tools like VLC and others but they aren't always the best at playback (menu problems, audio issues,...)

As output format if you want "1:1" copies, there are several methods:

1) As ISO-image from DVD-VIDEO-ROM Disc:
Creating ISO image:
1a) Use AnyDVD + CloneDVD
1b) AnyDVD + "AnyDVD Image ripper"
1c) AnyDVD + ImageBurn (Option "Create Image file from disc")

=>Keep in mind that DVD-VIDEO ISO-images made via way 1b) 1c) from DVDs with nasty "structural copy protection" can cause problems with playback later!!
=>1b) and 1c) should produce the same thing, on DVD-Discs, and on Blurays without Bus encryption.

2) AnyDVD Rip media to Hard Disk (extract files/folders)

=>2) and 1a) (principially) do the same thing (see at bottom)

3) AnyDVD + Windows Explorer (Copy+Paste)
Keep in mind that in takes up much more space from DVD-ROMs with structural copy protection, that actually could fit on a DVD-ROM (=>copying all duplicate files/links)
-------------------------------------------

Method 1a) Use AnyDVD + CloneDVD (ISO image)
It keeps the directory structure and the original filesystem from the DVD-ROM in an image. CSS and region code and some other sort of protection is removed.
This image is mountable with Virtual Drive software like “Virtual Clone Drive”, “Daemon Tools”, Alcohol 120%, in Linux via loop-device etc.

It might be that some VOB? and/or BUB? and or IFO files in VIDEO_TS folder might get (slighly) modified by CloneDVD (intentionally).
I watched some files IFO?/VOB? /BUP? appear (just) a few KiloBytes bigger or smaller on some DVDs tested.
This might be with compatibility issues on some DVDs with "bad" file mastering or compatibility issue after modifation below, I'm not sure. Not any bad playback experience had with this.
It can make other modifications in the “VIDEO_TS” folder into the image made from structural copy protected DVD Discs, that it removes several multiple file links (duplicates) ,invalid cell pieces, bogus title sets, to solve playback issues that could happen on some drives and/or players otherwise, if it didn’t, to improve playability,processibilty.

There can be some small cosmetic side effect, that AnyDVD-status-window suddenly reports “NTSC” instead of “PAL” on ISOs on some after structural copy protection removed.
---

Method 1b) Use AnyDVD + "AnyDVD Image ripper" (ISO-Image)
Method 1c) AnyDVD + ImageBurn (Option "Create Image file from Disc") ISO-Image

It keeps the directory structure and all files 1:1 and the original filesystem from the DVD-ROM in an image. Not any files are modified. CSS and region code and some other sort of protection is removed.
This image is mountable with Virtual Drive software like “Virtual Clone Drive”, “Daemon Tools”, Alcohol 120%, in Linux via loop-device etc.
The "pseudo" file entry links to same VOB/BUP/IFO video files and the structural copy protection stays. (The ISO still has normal DVD size.)
Keep in mind that such images with "structural copy protection" could make problems with playback later!! Beware there could be problems processing further this kind of data, eg. With transcoding software.

If you really would want to use this method, you can still process this structural copy protected ISO again to a new ISO with CloneDVD, or with AnyDVD Rip files/folder to HDD and then rebuild that to ISO.

Off topic:
1b) and 1c) don't do always the same things, concerning Blu-ray discs with "Bus encryption"!!

Images made via 1c) ImgBurn and other 3rd party software from Blu-ray discs with "Bus encryption" are useless because that upper Bus encryption not removed.
Such image would be useless, AnyDVD can only remove it directly from original BD-ROM-disc into ISO image, not from a doubled encrypted ISO to a new ISO!!
For this use "AnyDVD + "AnyDVD Image ripper" right away from original disc. <===Off topic

Method 2) AnyDVD Rip media to Hard Disk (extract files/folders)

This copies the files from DVD (extracted) as original DVD folder structure to hard disk, WITHOUT image.
CSS and region code and some other sort of protection is removed.
It might be that some VOB? and/or BUB? and or IFO files in VIDEO_TS folder might get (slighly) modified by CloneDVD (intentionally).
I watched some files IFO?/VOB? /BUP? appear (just) a few KiloBytes bigger or smaller on some DVDs tested
It can make other modifications in the “VIDEO_TS” folder into the image made from structural copy protected DVD Discs, that it removes several multiple file links (duplicates) ,invalid cell pieces, bogus title sets, to solve playback issues that could happen on some drives and/or players otherwise, if it didn’t, to improve playability,processibilty. You can still rebuild this to an ISO image eg. With ImgBurn.
There can be some small (cosmetic) side effect, that AnyDVD status window reports “NTSC” instead of “PAL” on ISOs on some DVDs created from DVDs files/folder where structural copy protection was removed.

------------
3) AnyDVD + Windows Explorer (Copy+Paste) (extract files/folders)
Bad idea, at least with structural copy protected DVD discs, takes up much more space than actual DVD size.

Last edited:
Back