• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question How compatible is E-AC3 audio?

Gilmore21

Almost every movie/tv show has E-AC3 audio as the highest quality audio. I'm just wondering how compatible this audio is and whether it may be worth opting for aac 128 as aac is supposedly the most compatible audio codec.

I could play everything with no issues so far. However, I watch on my PC only. I had many issues with the TV of my dad (that is 4k capable but couldn't play some files so I had to convert it. Don't know how a TV in 2020 (or how old it is) and 4k cannot play everything. Same for the UHD player he has.

Maybe you can see it in the manual of your device if it can play this format.

I've decided to go for aac 128kbps for everything. Whilst playing, the audio sounds absolutely fine so i'll carry on with aac as i've read a few forums which advise to go with this codec.

Almost every movie/tv show has E-AC3 audio as the highest quality audio. I'm just wondering how compatible this audio is and whether it may be worth opting for aac 128 as aac is supposedly the most compatible audio codec.

What I do is get the best audio I can, then I add an AAC track as the default for compatibility. I keep a script on my desktop, and when I get new videos, I just drap-n-drop them to the script and it automatically creates and adds the AAC track.

Last edited:
I have no idea what provider you are referring to because 80% of all downloads from all providers have 640kbps DD+5.1 HQ, except for Disney and Hulu 720p on both and lower audio.

I have no idea what provider you are referring to because 80% of all downloads from all providers have 640kbps DD+5.1 HQ
E-AC-3 is DD+. I just checked, AS shows the movie as 640 DD+ 5.1 but when I use MediaInfo on it, it shows E-AC-3 6 channels. So it is just a different way to label it. And the question is if he should prefer AAC 128 to be able to play it on more devices.
Code:
Format: E-AC-3
Format/Info: Enhanced AC-3
Commercial name: Dolby Digital Plus

E-AC-3 is DD+. I just checked, AS shows the movie as 640 DD+ 5.1 but when I use MediaInfo on it, it shows E-AC-3 6 channels. So it is just a different way to label it. And the question is if he should prefer AAC 128 to be able to play it on more devices.
Code:
Format: E-AC-3
Format/Info: Enhanced AC-3
Commercial name: Dolby Digital Plus
Thank you Deepspace.;)

To avoid remuxing the video (when you have to convert it and can't download AAC from the beginning), then look for a software that has a setting to copy the video instead of converting it.

That's what remux is. It's just extracting (demuxing) and recombining (muxing) the tracks into a container (e.g, mkv or mp4). There's no transcoding involved.

Yes, converting (or transcoding) applies only to the audio track(s). The video track remains untouched (or will be copied only).
If you are keen with command prompt you can use ffmpeg - or better use one of those nice frontends, like FFmpeg Batch Converter or XMediaRecode.
If you are downloading "disposable shows" - just view it with this crappy audio. But if you intend to keep the video and you intend to ever upgrade to better audio equipment then the best available audio is recommended. Just downcovert the better audio and add it by muxing it into the original file. So you have both - the crappy and the better one.

Yes, converting (or transcoding) applies only to the audio track(s). The video track remains untouched (or will be copied only).
If you are keen with command prompt you can use ffmpeg - or better use one of those nice frontends, like FFmpeg Batch Converter or XMediaRecode.

Yup, ffmpeg is nice because it will do the demux, transcode of the audio, and remux, all in one shot.

There's the line from my script (bash) that does the heavily lifting. It assumes the source has no more than 6 audio tracks, and will transcode the first to AAC and add it as the first track of the output file (I haven't found a way of telling ffmpeg to copy all but the first. You can tell it to "copy all" but not copy 2-n, that I've found).

Code:
  # create new AAC track with ffmpeg
  if ! "${ffmpeg}" -i "${inp}" -map 0:v -c:v copy -map 0:a:0 -c:a:0 aac -ac 2 -ab 196K -map 0:a -c:a:1 copy -c:a:2 copy -c:a:3 copy -c:a:4 copy -c:a:5 copy -c:a:6 copy -map '0:s?' -c:s copy "${out1}"; then
  exit 1
  fi

Last edited:
99% of the time on the streamers the E-AC3 is really just AC3 anyway as far as I could tell.

Hiya,

I use my 2 Roku Ultra's USB port to play files via 3.1 Docking station that supports 16Tb drives or a USB Thumb drive (on the fly from with commercials stripped out) to my TV's.

I've never had an issue with it playing EAC-3 6ch or below files.

Nearly all my files are H265 - Mp4 - I read it also supports MKV format.

You can usually find the Roku Ultra's on sale for ~$70.

Mike

Hiya,

I use my 2 Roku Ultra's USB port to play files via 3.1 Docking station that supports 16Tb drives or a USB Thumb drive (on the fly from with commercials stripped out) to my TV's.

I've never had an issue with it playing EAC-3 6ch or below files.

Nearly all my files are H265 - Mp4 - I read it also supports MKV format.

You can usually find the Roku Ultra's on sale for ~$70.

Mike
Well - just to play the EAC-3's it is a waste of money, I think. Get better audio equipment for the money and enjoy better sound.

Well - just to play the EAC-3's it is a waste of money, I think. Get better audio equipment for the money and enjoy better sound.

Coopervid,

I agree - just to play EAC-3's it's a lot for the Roku Ultra with USB port.

But due to support for 16TB drives, upscaling and working great on my older 55 inch Samsung TV (that won't even update or add new streaming services due to limited license agreements of support that TV's manufacturer's made) good choice for me and might also be for others.

My Audio is also ok using Sony BDV-3100 6ch for audio playing and it does do 6 channel emulation for files that are not 6ch.

Yeah, there's a lot better/newer equipment but I'm on a limited income and what I'm using is fine for me right now.

My target file choice preference is 1080p, 6Ch, H265 .mp4.

What works great for me and makes me happy, might get lesser/different mileage for others.

Mike

Coopervid,

I agree - just to play EAC-3's it's a lot for the Roku Ultra with USB port.

But due to support for 16TB drives, upscaling and working great on my older 55 inch Samsung TV (that won't even update or add new streaming services due to limited license agreements of support that TV's manufacturer's made) good choice for me and might also be for others.

My Audio is also ok using Sony BDV-3100 6ch for audio playing and it does do 6 channel emulation for files that are not 6ch.

Yeah, there's a lot better/newer equipment but I'm on a limited income and what I'm using is fine for me right now.

My target file choice preference is 1080p, 6Ch, H265 .mp4.

What works great for me and makes me happy, might get lesser/different mileage for others.

Mike
You are fine. You picked a good bang for the buck choice and you have some decent equipment based on your budget. I started also similar but my budget allowed me to upgrade.

I'm late to the party but. DD+ or EAC3 or eAC3 or E-AC3 or E-AC-3 or EC-3 or ??? (yes it can be written many different ways, all meaning the same thing).

Short version:

If your device are from around 2015 or older, there is a very good chance it doesn't support eAC3, but if they are from 2016 and newer there is good to great chance they do support EAC3. But all aspects of your audio playback setup must support DD+/EAC3. This includes the streamer/player and the audio output devices (TV, sound bar, receiver with speakers, etc). In other words, the "lowest device" dictates the ability. (Think plugging a 4K HDR device into a 1080p TV, and you only can get 1080p picture)

Oh another way to know if your device supports DD+/EAC3 is if your your device says it supports ATMOS with streaming services, then it DOES support eAC3 (aka DD+). Streaming services like Disney+, Amazon and Netflix all deliver ATMOS as ATMOS inside DD+ or more specifically EAC3_JOC. Again, this is also dependent upon your audio device setup.

Long version:

The First Gen Fire TV from 2014 is listed on Amazon's developer page as supporting eAC3, although newer models also support ATMOS/EAC3_JOC. Roku's Developer page says "Roku TVs and Roku Ultra can decode AC3 and E-AC3. All other Roku devices will do passthrough to the receiving device." and "Encoding in Dolby Digital Plus instead of Dolby Digital is recommended." Roku doesn't break it out by model numbers.

I can confirm a Roku Streaming Stick+ 3811R (purchased November 2018) connected directly to my Pioneer Elite receiver does show DD+ (eAC3) on the receiver, when playing movies using Plex. The audio is direct played, no conversion or transcoding, as both the Pioneer and ROKU support eAC3. In addition, those sticks, or the Ultra 4670r and 4800r when plugged into my Sony XBR43X800D TV (2017), newest being a XR77A80J (2021), also play the EAC3 directly, and in the Ultra's case this includes EAC3_JOC.

However, when those same sticks or Ultras are directly connected to my OLDER Sony KDL46XBR6 (2006) or KDL55HX750 (2012) TVs, and movies with DD+/EAC3 audio tracks are played via Plex, they have their audio transcoded to AC3 5.1 by the Plex Server because the TV's are too old and don't support eAC3. This goes back to the "lowest device" setting the capabilities.

My Nvidia Shield TV can play eAC3/EAC3-JOC, as do most Sony TV's that run Android/Google TV. My oldest Sony/Android is an XBR43X800D from 2017, and it supports eAC3 playback, and will direct play DD+/ATMOS or EAC3-JOC using Plex on the TV, although I mainly use my Shield TV Pro 2019, Roku Ultra (4670r and 4800r) or FireTV 4K Max as my players, not the internal apps on my Sony TV's.

I always use avidemux to re-encode audio from EC3 6 ch to AC3 6 ch at 640k. I set it to copy the video and remux as mp4. Takes a few seconds per title. If it's a series, I run them as a queue. Is easy, it works, keeps the 6 channels, and AC3 is more likely to be compatible.

Back