• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How close is "good enough" for HW refresh rates

jmone

NooB Q - I read in the Manual that it is worth trying to "tune" your HW current refresh rates to get closer to the "ideal". I play PAL, Blu-ray and NTSC material (in that order of volume) and I think I'll be decoding all formats to PCM in the HTPC then outputing over HDMI.

Is it worth mucking around trying to tune my current refresh rates or are these "close enough"?

50hz Setting => reported as 50.099 in reclock
24hz Setting => reported as 24.048 in reclock
60hz Setting => reported as 60.199 in reclock

I've got a Intel G33 that is not supported by powerstrip but I can try playing with other utilities but I'd prefer not too

Thanks
Nathan

Those should all be close enough, and with ReClock adjusting the playback to exactly match the refresh rate, you won't notice them being slightly off of 'ideal speed'.

You could probably get good enough results just using a switching program that just tells windows to switch to an integer rate. the first that comes to mind is 12noon display changer. You could work this into ReClock's script to change refresh rates to Cinema 24, PAL 50, or NTSC 60.

Last edited:
NooB Q - I read in the Manual that it is worth trying to "tune" your HW current refresh rates to get closer to the "ideal". I play PAL, Blu-ray and NTSC material (in that order of volume) and I think I'll be decoding all formats to PCM in the HTPC then outputing over HDMI.

Is it worth mucking around trying to tune my current refresh rates or are these "close enough"?

50hz Setting => reported as 50.099 in reclock
24hz Setting => reported as 24.048 in reclock
60hz Setting => reported as 60.199 in reclock

I've got a Intel G33 that is not supported by powerstrip but I can try playing with other utilities but I'd prefer not too

Thanks
Nathan
As long as you don't use SPDIF these numbers are fine. 60.2 Hz seems a little odd, but NTSC material made from film / HDTV sources should be played back with 24fps anyway.

As long as you don't use SPDIF these numbers are fine. 60.2 Hz seems a little odd, but NTSC material made from film / HDTV sources should be played back with 24fps anyway.

Thanks James - FYI I see from reclock that alot of my NTSC stuff is being reported as 23.976...

Those should all be close enough, and with ReClock adjusting the playback to exactly match the refresh rate, you won't notice them being slightly off of 'ideal speed'.

You could probably get good enough results just using a switching program that just tells windows to switch to an integer rate. the first that comes to mind is 12noon display changer. You could work this into ReClock's script to change refresh rates to Cinema 24, PAL 50, or NTSC 60.

That is exactly what I've been trying to do for the last hour by hacking the RunEvent.sample script but I don't know VBS so it has not being going well. All I want to do is (I think) is along the following lines but any help with the Syntax would be great!
Thanks
Nathan

Code:
If eventName = "YELLOW" Then
  Select Case MediaType
     Case "Cinema" then Run ""C:\Program Files\12noon Display Changer\dc.exe" -width=1920 -height=1080 -refresh=24"
     Case "PAL" then Run ""C:\Program Files\12noon Display Changer\dc.exe" -width=1920 -height=1080 -refresh=50"
     Case "NTSC" then Run ""C:\Program Files\12noon Display Changer\dc.exe" -width=1920 -height=1080 -refresh=60"
  End Case
End If

I tried with "DC" and it sort of works. The rez is changed but the playback is all garbled and bad, until I restart playback. Here is the code I used:

Code:
If eventName = "YELLOW" Then

If soundMode  = "PCM" Then

' Call the profile that match best what we need in PCM mode
        Select Case mediaType & ":" & currentResolution 
            Case "CINEMA:1920x1080"
                If currentRefreshRate <> "24" Then newtimings = "-width=1920 -height=1080 -depth=32 -refresh=24"

Case "NTSC:1920x1080"
                If currentRefreshRate <> "60" Then newTimings = "-width=1920 -height=1080 -depth=32 -refresh=60"
        End Select

...and then, down below...

Code:
If newTimings <> "" Then

Set wshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 
    ' MsgBox """" & "D:\Program Files\12noon\dc.exe"" -monitor=" & """\\.\DISPLAY2"" " & newTimings & """"
    WshShell.Run """" & "D:\Program Files\12noon\dc.exe"" -monitor=" & """\\.\DISPLAY2"" " & newTimings & """", 0, true

' In case we did a configuration change we MUST return 0 to 
    ' indicate ReClock it need to recalibrate itself.
    WScript.Quit 0

End If

Thanks Gents!

I had to make a couple of changes:

1) cbemoore's script - had to remove the "If eventName = "YELLOW" Then" as it was preventing me switch to 24 hz for Cinema material as my default refresh rate is 25hz and Reclock would see this combo as GREEN and just speed Cinema up to 25hz. There seems to be on logic reason to keep this IF statement as it will only change res if the NEW Refresh is differrent to the CURRENT anyway.

2) 24hz and Renderer Probs: noee, not sure if it is the same problem you saw but when I change to 24hz there are problems depending on the Renderer Selected, eg:
a) EVR - Stuttering Mess, dropped frames etc
b) Haali - Looks good but drifting Audio
c) VMR9 - OK!

Thanks - It is starting to look great!

1) cbemoore's script - had to remove the "If eventName = "YELLOW" Then" as it was preventing me switch to 24 hz for Cinema material as my default refresh rate is 25hz and Reclock would see this combo as GREEN and just speed Cinema up to 25hz. There seems to be on logic reason to keep this IF statement as it will only change res if the NEW Refresh is differrent to the CURRENT anyway.

Reclock was speeding up your Cinema material because your "allowed speedup" is set to the default of 5% in the ReClock config program. If you change it to 1%, then you will get a "YELLOW" event for Cinema material, and my script will work as expected.

Back