• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

How best to rip/compress Blu-ray to MKV etc.?

I encoded with XviD in VDubMod and used only one core. :( I'll check if meGUI and X264 uses both cores. :eek:

I encoded with XviD in VDubMod and used only one core. :( I'll check if meGUI and X264 uses both cores. :eek:

I'll be attempting XVID with meGUI in about 11hours, will see if it's any different and what sort of encode speeds I get out of it. Multicore encoding is VERY nice I have to say. I actually have the video compressed from that movie with x264 but need to figure out the soundtrack still. Not had good luck with xport's commandline yet. Keep hoping Madshi will get eac3to working as well for BD as he did for HD-DVd.:bowdown: In any case with just one core it will be interesting to see if XVID encode speed compares with x264 and compare the video quality.:rock:

I've made a few 720p X264's using megui, and it always uses all the cores. I've been using it on a Dual Xeon 3GHZ Core 2 Quad system, first pass only uses around 25% of each core, but comes in around 25-26 fps, second pass takes around 3 hours and uses all 8 cores at 100%. It's only when I'm trying to make WMV's that it only uses 4 cores on 1 CPU

Now THAT is a system to envy!:bowdown: I'd imagine that the low usage on the first pass is I/O bound processing. A problem I'd love to have! Cannot quite swing a dual CPU board I'm afraid. I'm patient though, a quad might be enough for now. If I already didn't need to build a box I'd just live with it but having one just dump it's time. I'll probably move the water cooling system from the old one to my current box too and get it back to stable @4Ghz.

FWIW I've seen code to allow multiple machines to do X264 encodes. I didn't look closely into it as it looked like a bit more complexity than I was looking for at the time but others might be interested, I'll try to look up the name of it.

I would experiment on a few minute clip instead of working with a whole movie.
What speed do you get encoding to H264? 2-3fps?

Quad core processors will definitely increase his 1.9fps. I use a quad (QX6700 stock) to do 12mbit x264 encodes from HDDVD EVOs right now and on pass one, I typically get ~20fps, pass 2 gets ~4-5fps, varies by movie. Though I'm running all kinds of custom flags into x264.

I ran a little comparison test on a 15min m2ts file, and the X264 encoded MP4 with meGUI seems like lower quality than the XviD encoded AVI with VDubMod at the same 5Mbps bitrate. Any similar experiences?

Quad core processors will definitely increase his 1.9fps. I use a quad (QX6700 stock) to do 12mbit x264 encodes from HDDVD EVOs right now and on pass one, I typically get ~20fps, pass 2 gets ~4-5fps, varies by movie. Though I'm running all kinds of custom flags into x264.

I think part of the reason why the framerate was SO low was a hung process eating up one core thanks to meGUI hanging while trying to process an audio file. On HD-DVD I generally see 14+FPS on first pass and 3-3.5 on second pass. I too am passing lots of crap to x264 and here's what it looks like:
Code:
 --pass 2 --bitrate 11000 --stats ".stats" --keyint 14 --min-keyint 2 --ref 5 --mixed-refs --no-fast-pskip --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --b-rdo --bime --weightb --direct auto --filter -2,-1 --subme 6 --trellis 1 --analyse all  --8x8dct --ipratio 1.1 --pbratio 1.1 --vbv-bufsize 14475 --vbv-maxrate 25000 --ratetol 2.0 --qcomp 0.7 --me umh --threads auto --thread-input --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim --output "output" "input" --mvrange 511 --aud --nal-hrd

XVID processed at 8.4FPS and used both cores. I've just now used xport, which I hate BTW, to pull audio from the original MTS and will run it through eac3to and then MKVmerge so I can compare quality. I've only got a 47inch screen so I might not see a big difference. Very much looking forward to seeing this movie in HD finally!:clap:

I ran a little comparison test on a 15min m2ts file, and the X264 encoded MP4 with meGUI seems like lower quality than the XviD encoded AVI with VDubMod at the same 5Mbps bitrate. Any similar experiences?

You can be relatively certain that if you're seeing worse video quality from x264 that something is going wrong during the process or x264 could be passed specific flags that would help. There is no reason that DivX should look better.

Well, about 85% of the way through my x264 encoded movie it went to hell:bang: Hung XBMC, constant "buffering" messages, it pretty much died. I went back and tried the XVID version and really saw no obvious vid differences although it was a larger file - it was a "fast" encode. Fast forwarding trying to get to where I'd been in the other file failed however, likely a player issue as XBMC is still under development and that was a looong way to forward. I'll try this again tomorrow, I really enjoy this movie:p One thing I noticed was that both cores were maxxed out with the x264 encoded file which is odd. Most of my HD-DVD rips don't go past 85% on the cores except for one scene in Planet Earth that is nutz - but most of this movie really pushed my system and I used the same encoding profile. I even had some dropped frames which is pretty unheard of on my system, very odd!

I'm doing an HD-DVD rip with XVID now, we'll see how it looks. Pretty sure I get dual core decoding with that too so I'll be interested to see the CPU usage. I'll try the BD rip again tomorrow too to see if I can get past that spot.:(

What bitrate did you use for the 2 encodings, and which programs did you use? When I play back the encoded video, my dual core never goes above 25%. Are you sure that the system is stable and doesn't make errors during encoding?

What bitrate did you use for the 2 encodings, and which programs did you use? When I play back the encoded video, my dual core never goes above 25%. Are you sure that the system is stable and doesn't make errors during encoding?

11K is the bitrate target as I recall, commandline is above. My CPU usage is usually not this high, it's pretty strange. System is stable for sure, done MANY HD-DVD rips with no issues. Is funny, I'm watching an XVID encode from HD-VD of Batman Begins that came in at just 2Gigs and it looks DAMNED good:rock: I seldom rip files down this small, might need to reevaluate. Bugs me that BD is so damned screwy by comparison:bang: I can and do rip HD-DVD with ease now, this BluRay has been nothing but trouble. Now that SlySoft's tool can rip BD+ I want to switch over but so far this has been a PITA. I just need to keep trying different combinations I guess.

Oh, I used TSremux to make a single M2TS as I recall. Xport to split off the vid and audio. VdubMod's AVSynth script I used with meGUI to encode the files with x264 and also tried XVID - not watched the XVID through yet. The audio was run through eac3to and then the two files muxxed together with MKVmerge. That was about it:clap:

I usually encode XviD with 6.4Mbps, and get 4-5GB files at the end for each movie.

Try to join the m2ts files with TSmuxer instead of TSremux, I've read people complaining about glitches in the file when joined with TSremux. Are you sure that the BD wasn't BD+?

I usually encode XviD with 6.4Mbps, and get 4-5GB files at the end for each movie.

Try to join the m2ts files with TSmuxer instead of TSremux, I've read people complaining about glitches in the file when joined with TSremux. Are you sure that the BD wasn't BD+?

Actually, I think you advised me to use TSmuxer and I used that the second time around - I may try it again just to be sure. I am positive it's not BD+, I've got clear video - when it's working.:bang: Honestly I do not mind larger files if I keep the fidelity of the file - that's my primary goal. I don't mind a 9-12Gig file but 40Gigs is nutz!

Won't be able to work on it more until Sunday night, it will be compressing while I'm away. Having issues FFWD what I've got right now - hits a point and locks up. Could be the player, could be the video. On the plus side I've built a 3.1+Ghz quad. I need to load it up but it's going to be crunching video here soon:rock:

So which method of compressing your EVOs are yall using. I have my own method that i have posted a couple times but the way you all make it sound it is much easier then that. I do not use AVIsynth at all mainly becuase anything with a command line i try to avoid. It reminds me of the old programming days on the apple....10 goto 20...blah blah.

So which method of compressing your EVOs are yall using. I have my own method that i have posted a couple times but the way you all make it sound it is much easier then that. I do not use AVIsynth at all mainly becuase anything with a command line i try to avoid. It reminds me of the old programming days on the apple....10 goto 20...blah blah.

AVIsynth doesn't require a commandline - all I do is open notepad and plug in the correct information for the movie I'm compressing and that's all I do where AVIsynth is concerned.

eac3to DOES use a commandline but it's pretty easy to use and does the majority of the heavy lifting. eac3to pulls out the audio and converts it to the format I choose and it pulls the video out into a MKV container. I then use meGUI and the AVIsynth file I've created to compress the MKV file. Lastly I use MKVmerge to mux the audio and video together - done. I've written it up here and tried to give credit where it's due on the Doom9 forums.

BluRay is the big issue for me right now. M2TS is the nightmare for me right now. The files are heyuge, the M2TS format isn't so well supported, and the BD videos that do the seamless scene changes are a PITA. eac3to is slowly supporting this format too but Madshi has his hands full with all of it's quirks - he's making progress though. Sadly HD-DVD arten't going to be around too much longer. I'm buying up the ones I can when at the right price but no more new movies it looks like - booo!:bang:

Last edited:
hi,

is it possible to make an mkv from an Blu-ray and add the PCM audio track with it ?

thx

hi,

is it possible to make an mkv from an Blu-ray and add the PCM audio track with it ?

thx

Yes. but compressing the pcm audio to flac will make a smaller mkv without losing sound quality.

Back