• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

hostel 2 U.K.

All of the problem discs which would not play back correctly on my Dvd players, have just been tried on my neighbours old "Pacific" Dvd Player and every one of the problem backup discs I had Spiderman 3, Fantastic 4 Silver Surfer and Hostel 2 all played straight away without any glitches whatsoever on the "Pacific", very weird.

:doh:

Sorry, sparkym5, your issue seems more likely to me to be the blank media you're using then--and not Anydvd.

This situation applies to you:

from Frequently Asked Questions (READ BEFORE YOU POST)

My backups play on my computer or standalone dvd player, but not in something else. Why?

First, if the backup is playing in a standalone dvd player or on your computer, that means Anydvd and whatever backup program you used worked.

The most common reason why you're having this problem (if the backup doesn't work in a standalone dvd player) is due to a compatibility issue between the blank media you're using and whatever you're using to play the backup in (standalone dvd player, for example). Basically your dvd player, dvd-rom drive, etc. doesn't like the blank media you're using (or if you're using +R media, you didn't change the booktype to "dvd-rom"). You can try choosing other blank media (+r instead of -r, for example, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")--or buy a different standalone dvd player (or a different dvd-rom drive, burner, etc.).

If you're using dvd-r media and your standalone dvd player gives you a message similar to ""Play Prohibited, please check disc", use dvd+r media instead and change the booktype to "dvd-rom" (see "b)" below).

a) Are you using junk blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden 8x premium, Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer to this question is "yes".
b) Click this and read FULLY (especially take a look at point 4 for more information on bitsetting/booktyping, but all points are very important)

The same factors also apply to why the backup doesn't play in your computer (but there can be other factors including buggy or poorly installed dvd player software, bad drivers, etc.).

It's also possible the playback device/player you're using is slowly dying.

Last edited:
The other thing to try is to play these "problem" backups in your computer. Do they work?

If this is an Anydvd issue, surely the "problem" backups wouldn't work on all dvd players.

Last edited:
Did Just back up this movie with latest AnyDVD & CloneDVD (main movie only)
AI Scanner enabled
Disc: Region 2 PAL
Same problem here
After 5-6 sec movie begins to play but the counter on the standalone player stays on 00:00:01
I tested the backup in the PC plays fine with PowerDVD
Also the counter is counting
Backup media use : TDK DVD-RW
The difference is, that the AI Scanner will leave the pre guard cells in the program chain, where the "old" method removes them.
I am not sure why leaving them causes problems, the disc should play fine (maybe a slight delay at the beginning).
I am still investigating how to solve this.
Yes they all play in the computer but so did the one for THE FLY in the post above, So all this means nothing, I Give Up! Sorry no more posts from me. :disagree::disagree::disagree:

Last edited:
So all this means nothing

Yeah, playback with dvd-rws aren't really conclusive in standalone dvd players (and dvd-rws tend to have a lower reflectivity than regular dvd-rs or dvd+rs), so they are less likely to play properly in standalone dvd players. If the Fly were using Taiyo Yuden premiums, I strongly suspect the standalone dvd player playback issue would disappear.

As for what James wrote, I believe that situation does apply with other discs and not the movies you're attempting to backup, unless James knows for certain otherwise.

It really doesn't make any sense that your "problem" backups work in another dvd player and in your computer. Well, it doesn't make any sense to me at least. Perhaps James will let us know if the issue he's talking about only affects certain dvd players. But that scenario doesn't seem likely to me. Again, what you've been posting about is consistent with a standalone player/media compatibility issue (and in this case, a bad choice of blank media).

Another possibility is that your burner is dying. But it makes more sense to me that the issue is your choice of blank media.

Last edited:
Yeah, playback with dvd-rws aren't really conclusive in standalone dvd players (and dvd-rws tend to have a lower reflectivity than regular dvd-rs or dvd+rs), so they are less likely to play properly in standalone dvd players. If the Fly were using Taiyo Yuden premiums, I strongly suspect the standalone dvd player playback issue would disappear.

from http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/compatibility_forum/white_paper.html

"The disadvantage is that rewritable technology has a lower reflectivity than write-once formats. Even though the DVD Video specification has provisions for lower reflectivity, the lower reflectivity is intended for dual layer media rather than single layer, low reflectivity media. As a consequence, many older set-top DVD players can get confused when they see low reflectivity on a single layer disc and may have erratic playback behavior if it plays back at all."

This seems to me to be a plausible explanation as to why The Fly's dvd-rw backup works in his computer, but not in his standalone dvd player.

Last edited:
I've got another Sony title called The Vacancy which has been dispatched from Play.com, should be here today, I wonder if this will give any problems, I'll just do a workround if it does, Unbeknowing to you I've actually bought a pack of Verbatim the same as these http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product...1837&session=5a4df4f1f985664fa3757e3301a0dff0 from my local PC World and they played back fine, but still re-produced the delayed read error if I burnt the encode without the menus as it did on the riteks, using the encode with the scanner enabled and menus preserved Verbatim and Riteks were both fine, I've wasted too many discs on this project already to try and prove a point. I'm throwing my Teddy out of the cot. :doh:

Last edited:
but still re-produced the delayed read error if I burnt the encode without the menus as it did on the riteks, using the encode with the scanner enabled and menus preserved Verbatim and Riteks were both fine

O.k., then, it does appear to be an Anydvd issue. But it's pretty confusing to me that this issue would only affect certain dvd players. Perhaps it has something to do with the chipset used or caching.

And you did change the booktype to "dvd-rom", by the way, right (with the Verbatims)?

Based on what you've written, then, yeah, what James mentioned appears to be the problem, but it's hard to diagnose, because it's not going to affect everyone.

Again, my apologies . . . the evidence you've been providing has been pretty confusing (to me). This doesn't appear to be an issue with your blank media (although I'm glad to see that you're using better stuff now).

Last edited:
Based on what you've written, then, yeah, what James mentioned appears to be the problem, but it's hard to diagnose, because it's not going to affect everyone.

Ugh. After realizing this I've got a headache. Troubleshooting problems relating to this issue is next to impossible. Some people won't have any issues, and others will. I'll get people popping into threads saying "I had no problems". And they'll be right. But so will the people who are complaining.

:(

I think I'll wait for this bug to be ironed out . . .

Last edited:
Yes they all play in the computer but so did the one for THE FLY in the post above, So all this means nothing, I Give Up! Sorry no more posts from me. :disagree::disagree::disagree:

Never had any problems backing up to TDK DVD-RW
normally i use TDK DVD+R or -R but i need to buy some
My standalone DVD (From Sony) can play all sort discs (DVD+R,DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+RW,DVD+R DL)

To sparkym5 try to disable AI scanner or uninstall AnyDVD 6.1.8.4 and install version 6.1.7.4 again i'm almost 100% sure it will work.

Version 6.1.7.4 download :http://forum.slysoft.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=511&d=1193164505

Will test it this weekend also, not having much time now

Cya

Last edited:
Back