Home Brew Media Server

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by sondeterra, Oct 5, 2007.

1. sondeterra

sondeterra Well-Known Member

OK you guys were great on the hard drive question I posted and the follow ons were very informative as well. Here is a new question for you. What are the minimum computer requirements (video card, audio card, cpu type and speed, hard drive) software, and external hard drive to build a W98se Media server, this would be used with my HDTV which is a Samsung TX-R2765. I would be ripping to the external HD using my current set up and playing back on the home brew thus the external HD.

2. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Any Graphics card with an S-Video out. Any sound card(or onboard sound) basically any CPU and the HDD size would depend on how much data you want to store. Lots of variables depending on what level of quality you are expecting. Why would you want to use 98SE?

3. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

No doubt if I was to make a server I would go one of 2 ways:

1. Linux

or

2. Windows server 2003 as this is very stable and user friendly an I have been thinking of getting this as well.

4. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Linux might have some issues with the software needed to accomplish what sondeterra wants to do. I also have some doubts about 98SE having the capability.

5. Charlie

What about the ideal of XP 2003 server? It is just as good actually the kernals and security built in is better than XP so it is expensive but a good buy I think.

6. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

XP 2003 would be the better way to go for sondeterra.

7. Charlie

Plus there is no such thing as a windows 98 SE server either. Windows 2000 server was the first windows based server I think?

8. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I believe sondeterra means to use 98SE as the OS on the server host. Any OS can be used for a server.

9. sondeterra

sondeterra Well-Known Member

Let me rephrase the question,your honor.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word server. I was given an older computer, dealer built with which I have little if any familiarity, just know its running W98 and was wondering what minimum requirements were needed to use it as an external HD playback system for the Samsung(which has component, composite and S-Vid inputs) of reasonable quality. I would use the current computer to Rip to Hd then use HD to TV's Computer( the dealer built) for playback.:doh:

10. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

A decent quality graphics card would be a necessity but you need to find out what type, and quality, hardware the PC has.
    If you could furnish the brand and model of the MOBO and the CPU size, that would be a great help.