• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolved HEADS-UP: Regional Runtime Differences

zero269

I'm just noticing this for the first time and decided to share this with those of us that like to use VPN with AS.

I noticed quite a few titles showing runtimes around 5 minutes less than what I'm currently seeing in the US.
For example, John Q has a runtime of:
  • 1:56:10 prime (USA) with 30 seconds of splash at the beginning.
  • 1:51:16 hbomax (Spain) with just the 15 second New Line Cinema splash.
Looking at the time the credits start rolling:
  • 1:51:13 USA
  • 1:46:31 Spain
This indicates there are about 4m cut from the Spain release, even after taking the 30 seconds of splash into account.

I understand some titles would have some runtime differences, but I'm seeing quite a few from the hbomax (Spain)... which caught my attention.

So, keep this in mind when pulling titles from abroad over VPN.

I'm just noticing this for the first time and decided to share this with those of us that like to use VPN with AS.

I noticed quite a few titles showing runtimes around 5 minutes less than what I'm currently seeing in the US.
For example, John Q has a runtime of:
  • 1:56:10 prime (USA) with 30 seconds of splash at the beginning.
  • 1:51:16 hbomax (Spain) with just the 15 second New Line Cinema splash.
Looking at the time the credits start rolling:
  • 1:51:13 USA
  • 1:46:31 Spain
This indicates there are about 4m cut from the Spain release, even after taking the 30 seconds of splash into account.

I understand some titles would have some runtime differences, but I'm seeing quite a few from the hbomax (Spain)... which caught my attention.

So, keep this in mind when pulling titles from abroad over VPN.

Check the frame rates. The differences for both are in line with the 5% speed up you'll get going from 24 fps to 25 fps.

Check the frame rates. The differences for both are in line with the 5% speed up you'll get going from 24 fps to 25 fps.
I'd say you hit the nail right on the head! Good catch! (y)

upload_2022-10-5_20-57-44.png

I never even thought of that considering I never really paid attention to frame rates before. I've always been hung up on resolution, video bitrates, and surround sound.

I decided to run the numbers in excel based on my limited knowledge of the topic, and the numbers add up when looking at the total number of frames per video file.
Although it's not exactly 5%, it's pretty damn close. Total seconds comes out to a 4.22% difference when using the total runtime as is. If I remove the splash at the beginning for both, it actually brings it closer to 4%.

upload_2022-10-5_20-57-44.png

The total number of frames for both files are 100.6%.

upload_2022-10-5_21-9-30.png

This was very helpful, especially when I'm looking for different Editions of the same movie with very similar runtimes. It can help me identify if there is actually a true difference.

Thanks!

In case anyone needs a simple worksheet to help calculate the differences, this is what I created:

upload_2022-10-5_21-16-47.png

In the C Column, I just entered the values need to convert h:mm:ss to seconds only and then showed the difference between the two values (%) below in C4.
I subtracted the splash (in seconds) that play before the movie.
Column E just sums up C and D.
G is used to multiply E with FPS and then I just displayed the differences below for the number of frames and the percentage difference.

Last edited:
Sorry, typo. The speedup from 24 to 25 (often called the PAL speedup, though it has little to with PAL) is 4%, which is what your numbers are showing.

Back