• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HDTV Bluray Player Security Question

gameowl

Quick question, the HDTV bluray players have a tamper resistant algorithm detection. Is that the BD+ security built-in the player or is that security seperate from BD+?

What do you mean by a 'HDTV' Blu-ray player?

You mean your standard standalone player. Never heard of 'tamper resistant algorithm detection'. Care to post a link?

You mean your standard standalone player. Never heard of 'tamper resistant algorithm detection'. Care to post a link?
It was on a youtube video from 2007 by the Electronic Frontier Foundation memeber giving a conference all about Blurays new DRM at the time. Personally I'd like to see RedFox, make software to overwrite the protected stand alone bluray players write protected chip to remove the revokation code on it. You could do that through USB flash drive. The revokation code is just a tiny line of code, when you rip a movie with AnyDVD HD, it removes the AACS on it including the Media Key Block file that some bluray movies store the revokation code that the stand alone player reads off the bluray disc to update the stand alone players chip for revokation code on it. So if your bluray player gets updated revokation keys. And you put in a non AACS encrypted bluray copied with RedFox it doesn't have the Media Key Block file, which the bluray player checks for authentication and won't release the processing key to play the movie. But will play AACS protected discs fine since the MKB file is on it to authenticate it. This is why so many people on these fourms who backup a bluray movie complain but don't know why there backup won't play on there stand alone player. Now for Computers, the revokation is different, the licesened bluray software player companies like Nero and Cyberlink who make Nero Bluray player and PowerDVD must have an update in there software players to revoke keys that don't have the MKB AACS on the bluray disc. They haven't done this yet, because they implimented Cinavia in there software players they feel is sufficent. I've been implimenting cryptography on Windows based computers for myself since 2002. This comes all to natural for me to know this stuff.

I think you're talking about firmware, every player has that even a computer drive. Why on earth would you dig up a 9 year old video? If anydvd did is job correctly all the player sees is unprotected content and starts to play, it won't give a damn about some ancient 'anti tamper' stuff.

I think you're talking about firmware, every player has that even a computer drive. Why on earth would you dig up a 9 year old video? If anydvd did is job correctly all the player sees is unprotected content and starts to play, it won't give a damn about some ancient 'anti tamper' stuff.

AACS isn't fully beaten. On a bluray disc level yes. Not on a hardware level. Only way to make sure is to never get your stand alone player revoked is to only put in non AACS encrypted blurays ripped with AnyDVD HD so it can't update the revokation code from a movie through the Media Key Block to the stand alone players chip. This should be a new challenge for Redfox. Un-revoke already revoked stand alone players. Put in a USB flash drive with special Redfox software to remove the revokation code on the write protected chip is a idea to think about in the future. And would bring in extra revnue to Redfox. Something for the developers to talk and think about.

I've only ever seen a 'keys revoked' message inside anydvd once. That was just because the disc was protected by a newer aacs version than anydvd at the time supported. Couple logfiles and a beta version later and it was back to business as usual. The revoking is done on the firmware level partially I think, nothing anydvd can do about it. Anydvd uses its own aacs decryption keys I'll pretty sure. 2007 video? Why you even bothering with that lol.

I've only ever seen a 'keys revoked' message inside anydvd once. That was just because the disc was protected by a newer aacs version than anydvd at the time supported. Couple logfiles and a beta version later and it was back to business as usual. The revoking is done on the firmware level partially I think, nothing anydvd can do about it. Anydvd uses its own aacs decryption keys I'll pretty sure. 2007 video? Why you even bothering with that lol.
As long as you only put in backed up bluray movies ripped with AnyDVD HD and transcoded and when needed to remove the Cinavia watermark you'll be perfectly fine to play backed up movies all the time with stand alone players. Remember the movie industry only puts the revokation code in the MKB once every three months in certain movies (I take it more in big bluray move titles) to update the revokation code. Putting AACS protected movies in your stand alone player is like playing russian rouletee with it.

Now you're taking nonsense. If it was roulette you'd risk your standalone's keys getting revoked every time you insert a store bought disc and that's never going to happen. Every standalone player has hardware bound authorized aacs decryption keys. The revoking only comes into play on PC based decryption if the decryption tool hasn't been updated to support the new mkb version. Standalone players will NEVER have their keys revoked.

With respect to the updated keys on a scheduled basis I believe that only applies to licensed software players. Forcing updated keys in standalone players could be problematic and without a serious reason would lead to headaches that are not necessary for consumers or manufacturers.

Back