• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HDCP over DVI-D Dual Link Cable

jmegas

I already own CyberLink DVD Ultra 9. I have an LG 8X Blu-ray drive and dual nVidia GTX 275s with a NEC 30" monitor which supports HDCP. (Both the video cards and the monitor are HDCP compliant.) However, CyberLink will *not* play Blu-ray discs because of my DVI-D Dual Link cable (or so it says). Additionally the default of the NEC monitor is to turn HDCP *off* and it has difficulty resetting when I turn HDCP back off. (I bought the monitor primarily as a computer monitor and not to watch Blu-rays, but I would like to watch Blu-rays on it.

Is this the type of problem that SlySoft AnyDVD HD is designed to solve? Will it display Blu-ray on my 30" NEC monitor without my having to turn HDCP on? Will I continue to be able to use my single DVI-D Dual Link cable? Will AnyDVD HD insall a *second* copy of CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra 9 or is it just an interface?

Somebody told me I need to use a DVI-I Dual Link cable *instead* of a DVI-D Dual Link cable, but I do not think the DVI-I Dual Link port is supported by either my monitor or my video cards.

Thank you!

Your video cards will support DVI-I, but the monitor might not.
AnyDVD HD will remove the need for an HDCP compliant screen so it should work fine. You can always down load the 21 day trial to see if it works

Is this the type of problem that SlySoft AnyDVD HD is designed to solve?

Yes. And much, much more. But you can try the demo version to check if it is working.

Your video cards will support DVI-I, but the monitor might not.
AnyDVD HD will remove the need for an HDCP compliant screen so it should work fine. You can always down load the 21 day trial to see if it works

The screen *is* HDCP compliant, but I do not have it set in HDCP mode. (NEC says that give me a "crisper" computer image.) CyberLink says it is not working because of the cable.

Does AnyDVD HD install CyerLink again? It mentions CyberLink in the description sheet.

Thank you!

Yes. And much, much more. But you can try the demo version to check if it is working.

Thank you for your prompt response.

But, I still have two specific questions. (a) Will it work with my DVI-D Dual Link cable and (b) will it install *another* copy of CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra 9? I hate buying the same product twice.

I don't want to install the test version until I am certain it will not foul up my registered copy of CyberLink.

Thank you!

(a) Will it work with my DVI-D Dual Link cable
It should. Try it out.

and (b) will it install *another* copy of CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra 9? I hate buying the same product twice.

I don't want to install the test version until I am certain it will not foul up my registered copy of CyberLink.

Huh? AnyDVD doesn't care about players and it doesn't touch any installed player software.

Thank you very much! Those were the two questions I was concerned about, and you answered both of them. I will install the demo, and buy the product if it works.

I just wanted to report back that the demo works flawlessly, and I can now view Blu-rays with my existing hardware.

I love your product!

Thanks for writing it!

Last edited:
PowerDVD might not play if it detect unprotected Blu-ray which is what anydvd does. It remove protection from disc as you watch it.

IF possibe try TMT3 from Arcsoft.
30 Days free trial

PowerDVD might not play if it detect unprotected Blu-ray which is what anydvd does. It remove protection from disc as you watch it.

IF possibe try TMT3 from Arcsoft.
30 Days free trial

Thanks! It worked the first time I tried it, but I have not tested it again. If it does now work, now I'll know why.

Thanks! It worked the first time I tried it, but I have not tested it again. If it does now work, now I'll know why.

Yeah, I learn the hardway. Anyways there is nothing much you can do if cyberlink decide nay they don't want to play unprotected images or disc. :mad: Wish I discover TMT sooner.

... ain't that the truth! That's the way it is with most of this stuff; nobody really knows until you try it out. I just upgraded the software for two of my tape drives only to rind out that it rendered them useless. The company has no idea why their software doesn't work (I've been using it for years, through multiple generations.) but meanwhile both of my drives are bricks.

I wrote Belkin about the DVI-D Dual Link cable, and they don't know anything about what it can or cannot do, although it has a "lifetime warranty." What a joke!

Sometime I wonder why these company even exist at all :confused:

probably cannot do HDCP on your DVI setup

There was not a spec for HDCP over dual-link DVI until a few months ago. As such, it's unlikely your video card or display support it. So you probably cannot use HDCP on your setup.

There is a spec for HDCP over dual-link DVI now I believe, so new gear could fix you up. Alternately you could use DisplayPort, as the spec for HDCP (or equivalent) over 2560x1600 DisplayPort has existed for over a year and so most equipment should support it.

Sorry you got trapped in the crossfire. HDCP is a nightmare for consumers.

There was not a spec for HDCP over dual-link DVI until a few months ago. As such, it's unlikely your video card or display support it. So you probably cannot use HDCP on your setup.

There is a spec for HDCP over dual-link DVI now I believe, so new gear could fix you up. Alternately you could use DisplayPort, as the spec for HDCP (or equivalent) over 2560x1600 DisplayPort has existed for over a year and so most equipment should support it.

Sorry you got trapped in the crossfire. HDCP is a nightmare for consumers.

Thank you! You're the first one who really seems to understand this cable issue. Both my video card and monitor are *relatively* new, and *both* support HDCP; but, evidently, *neither* supports HDCP over a DVID-D Dual Link cable. It sounds as if the recommendation for a DVI-D Dual Link cable to solve the problem was just plain incorrect. Such cables would not have fit my video card and monitor.

Would DisplayPort do that same thing that SlySoft does? SlySoft seems to "fool" CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra 9 fine, or does DisplayPort add additional features? I have an old copy of DisplayPort from many years ago where it was a way to test your monitor and it all fit on a single floppy disk. <g> I don't think that is nearly current.

Thank you for the information!

Nightmare certainly describes my experience!

Sometime I wonder why these company even exist at all :confused:

Sometimes I think it's just to rip consumers off. One often wonders wheher there is any pride or ethics in making a product that actually *does* what it is advertised to do. Fortunately SlySoft really *does* seem to be doing *exactly* what it is claimed to do, and I can watch my Blu-rays again.

Now to try to make the tape software company honor their commitment. <g>

Would DisplayPort do that same thing that SlySoft does? SlySoft seems to "fool" CyberLink PowerDVD Ultra 9 fine, or does DisplayPort add additional features?

While I can't answer your question, I'd like to make sure, a very common misconception doesn't arise here (it's not clear from what you say):

SlySoft (or rather AnyDVD) does not fool PowerDVD into thinking you have HDCP compliant equipment.
It decrypts the disc on the fly making PowerDVD (or ANY conformant player) not care whether or not you have HDCP compliant equipment.

Thank you! You're the first one who really seems to understand this cable issue. Both my video card and monitor are *relatively* new, and *both* support HDCP; but, evidently, *neither* supports HDCP over a DVID-D Dual Link cable. It sounds as if the recommendation for a DVI-D Dual Link cable to solve the problem was just plain incorrect. Such cables would not have fit my video card and monitor.
Actually the statement in bold is not correct. Looking at the graphics cards they all should take either DVI-I or DVI-D cables, and looking round at the 30" NEC monitors they will also take both cable ends. But using the other type of cable wouldn't work any better as the difference between the cables is that one can also pass thru an analog signal.
Also PDVD always used to only let you output the signal thru one graphics head in this case I suspect that's what's causing the problem

Last edited:
While I can't answer your question, I'd like to make sure, a very common misconception doesn't arise here (it's not clear from what you say):

SlySoft (or rather AnyDVD) does not fool PowerDVD into thinking you have HDCP compliant equipment.
It decrypts the disc on the fly making PowerDVD (or ANY conformant player) not care whether or not you have HDCP compliant equipment.

Thank you for the clarification. I apologize for any misconceptions I may have caused by my misunderstanding. I can uderstand how this distinction is important.

Actually the statement in bold is not correct. Looking at the graphics cards they all should take either DVI-I or DVI-D cables, and looking round at the 30" NEC monitors they will also take both cable ends. But using the other type of cable wouldn't work any better as the difference between the cables is that one can also pass thru an analog signal.
Also PDVD always used to only let you output the signal thru one graphics head in this case I suspect that's what's causing the problem

I was not sure. I went to Cables to Go site, where they have pictures of the connectors of all the cables, and the DVI-I cables have four extra pins on them. As I know my ports were DVI-D I did not *know* if they were *also* DVI-I compliant. I did not read anything about DVI-I on the NEC port. It merely says it is a DVI-D port. However, if it is the resolution problem, then I am probably in trouble with *either* cable. Fortunately SlySoft seems to have solved the problem over my current cable.

I can understand how this distinction is important.

Yes, it actually is - because our support staff sometimes gets very bizarre requests because of that particular misconception :)
Otherwise I wouldn't mind...

Back