• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD movie server recommendations?

The Areca controller i purchased used for $425. It sells new on Newegg for $750 i think. It's true that it's expensive, but I think it's worth it. Firstoff, the Areca uses the spare graphix port that runs at 8x instead of the normal PCI ports that the Promise uses. Second, what if you don't have 4 pci ports? Third, the Areca controller, from the research that i've done, performs better than the promise and has more functionality.

I'm not trying to knock your suggestion so i hope you don't take it that way. I think you get what your budget allows and i was able to find some good deals. It's true that i probably spent a little more than the average for a home server, but i didn't break the bank and it does everything i want it to do well. Furthermore, i like that all i have to do now is pop in a new hard drive when i want to expand as the expansion capability is already paid for.

For a "budget" server though, or if I just wanted to spend less, i would have went with your suggestion (minus the 4 Promise controllers).

Thanks for your insight. There are some controllers out there with as many as something like 16+ SATA in one controller but it costs a lot. Never try Arec and I am sure it is a very good controller. Since my server is a dedicated media streaming server in my house therefore when I look at the MB for the server and one of the requirement was 4 PCI slots to accomplish the 4 Promise X 4 SATA = 16 HDD ready server for me.

What Makes It All Possible

Whether you spend a lot or a little, what makes it all possible is AnyDVD HD. Without that little gem, it would be useless to have a high definition home theater server. And that's the thing that has impressed those that i've shown it to the most, is that I pretty much have my own movies on demand, like the cable company, but better:rock:

Like last night when my wife wanted to watch You've Got Mail and i wanted to watch AVP2. Instead of having to hunt for the plastic, we just fired up the client pc's (ones attached to a projector and the other is attached to the living room tv). I'm currently building a pc for the bedroom as i can find the parts for cheap.

Anyways, the server setup handled both requests splendidly although You've Got Mail is standard def. I really don't care to see Meg Ryan in 1080p:eek:

And that to me is the whole point of this thing, that we have a tool like AnyDVD HD that allows us to have that versatility and enjoy our movies within the "reasonable" limits of the law the way that we want.

Server Size Greater Than 2 Terabytes

In my quest to build the biggest server I can afford, i learned some things about the limitations of software/hardware when you go beyond partition sizes of 2 Terabytes.

First, if you are going to create a volume greater than two terabytes, make sure that your motherboard, or if using a controller, can create those sizes for the operating system. Some motherboards, even new ones, don't have the option to create a greater than two terabyte volume. Your best bet is to go with a controller like Areca or Promise. You will want to make sure that it either supports 64bit LBA or can change sector size from the standard 512bytes to 4kb. This will allow the operating system to address a volume larger than 2 terabytes.

Once you have the hardware set, its still not over yet. Besides loading drivers for the motherboard or controller raid, you will need to initialize the newly created volume as a GPT disk instead of the normal MBR disk. GPT allows the OS to "see" more than 2 terabytes of data. Once you do that, you should be good to go.

Finally, all programs won't be able to write to that volume, i'm assuming because it is GPT instead of MBR. An example that i've found is CloneDVD. It says that the destination is not available when i try to write to it. ImageBurn writes to it just fine and of course the copy-paste works so for DVDs i just write it to the local drive and then copy it over to the server.

I found a document on line, but its too large to attach here. Just google "Over2TB_050721" and you'll find it.

Last edited:
PrincipalityFusion,

On a separate topic, I noticed that PDVD8 audio and sound is lot better than native SD VMC player. I requested Brian in MM and see whether they can pick the SD player like we picked HD/BD player. Unfortunately it seems to me it will not happen anytime soon. What I tried to get to it now is in every HTPC in my home now I use PDVD mount the ISO and play both BD and SD DVD versus MM play SD before. And I definitely notice a smoother and easy manager an ISO than a folder in my server environment before.

PrincipalityFusion,

On a separate topic, I noticed that PDVD8 audio and sound is lot better than native SD VMC player. I requested Brian in MM and see whether they can pick the SD player like we picked HD/BD player. Unfortunately it seems to me it will not happen anytime soon. What I tried to get to it now is in every HTPC in my home now I use PDVD mount the ISO and play both BD and SD DVD versus MM play SD before. And I definitely notice a smoother and easy manager an ISO than a folder in my server environment before.

I'm almost in the same boat with you. After migrating my collection to a raid 5 volume, i notice that media center does not play my standard dvd files correctly or at all. For example, if i try to skip forward, it keeps going back to the same chapter. I found that creating ISO's of the dvds solved that problem. Also since Brian added support for PwrDVD8, i can install that on all my machines to get the better pq and sound.

I haven't looked at the pq for sd movies between 7 and 8, but high definition is definitely better in 8.

Thanks guys, this latter discussion is way over my head (and budget), but it's interesting and informational.

I got another question though. I just realized that I'll be needing to open the .torrent files with Azureus on the server, and I can't just be fiddling with 3 sets of kb/mice. They're all wireless and 2 of them are bluetooth so a switch is not possible, or maybe at least very, very inconvenient. Is there a way to open the files in Azureus (which will run on the server) remotely via another computer in the network? I'll probably be surfing the web with my Vista 32 PC, and the server will most likely run Windows XP pro.

Not to side track this thread, but I've 2 questions about this Abit MB
1) It stated 7.1 CH HD Audio, Is it a TrueHD audio HD Audio?
2) The HDMI GC in this MB, how we compare to ATI 3XXX series card?

Thanks.

Reply,
1) I dont have a pre-amp with hdmi, i just use it for my projector.
The other problem i think is getting the software to pass the truehd down it so thats why i use a sound card with each speaker output connected to my pre-amp.
2) i run it 1080p no problem.

Problems with htpc are more to do with
Memory timmings,
having a page file (use 2GB ram and disable it)
Progressive rather than interlaced.
And enough processor power.

If you want to use this for anything other than a HTPC then look for other components.

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was my powerful PC with which I do photography and some graphic design uses the Antec P180 with 5 fans. That is the one with XP and the overclocked E6600 that I'm replacing with the cooler Q9450 and updating to Vista X64, and that is also the one I'm currently running 24/7. I'll build the server just so I don't have to have that one turned on all the time and wasting electricity. The server will actually be my third PC, and it will use an Antec mini P180, that comes with a 200mm fan on top, which even at very low revs would be fine by itself to cool the PC (I'll put my E6600 there, probably underclocked.)

My HTPC is actually my second PC, and there are several reasons I'm running with Vista. My first reason was that since I already had Windows XP SP2 on one PC, I might as well just try the new OS and learn its tricks. The same reason I'm buying the next Mac mini. It has been pretty good so far, I'm liking Vista (after all the initial tweaks like disabling UAC and indexer and that sort of things). Vista, provided you have good enough hardware, runs faster than XP in my experience, with equivalent hardware.

Other reasons that I realized better as time went on is that mfrs are paying more attention to drivers for Vista, and generally speaking those are the ones that get updated more often, and released earlier. Especially graphics cards manufacturers. nVidia had a long time without Purevideo HD support for XP. During that time I was already running Vista 32 pretty well on my HTPC with a 8600GTS with full Purevideo HD acceleration.

Only word of advice is a HTPC is hard enough to get working with out using it for other things so be warned.

You can enable remote control of a pc and RDP to it if that helps with your other question. or use VNC.

Andy bit confussed.
Your htpc has 5 fans in it?
Your htoc is vista? and Why?

Recomendation
Ditch the fans.
Run cpu at 2.4ghz.
Ditch the motherboard and GPU buy this
http://www.uabit.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=48&page=1&model=339
You dont need masive fan cooling powersupply I bought this which comes with one
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=92480
Comes with 2 large fans. I use one becuase I have a quad cpu and need something to stir the air. It works off main powersupply and has a switch for low,medium and high. I set it to low and perfect.
Again i use stock intel cpu and fan and if I bought a better one I could do away with it.

Hope that lot helps

Vista will have PaP (protected audio path). This will be the only way to get your true high defination sound. Windows XP will not have this ever.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, this latter discussion is way over my head (and budget), but it's interesting and informational.

I got another question though. I just realized that I'll be needing to open the .torrent files with Azureus on the server, and I can't just be fiddling with 3 sets of kb/mice. They're all wireless and 2 of them are bluetooth so a switch is not possible, or maybe at least very, very inconvenient. Is there a way to open the files in Azureus (which will run on the server) remotely via another computer in the network? I'll probably be surfing the web with my Vista 32 PC, and the server will most likely run Windows XP pro.

IF you want good information on how to build an HTPC. Goto
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940972

This might be the 5 or 6 or maybe 10 thread on this subject.

IF you want good information on how to build an HTPC. Goto
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940972

This might be the 5 or 6 or maybe 10 thread on this subject.

Oh, I meant the discussion the guys were having about 16 drives and such. I already got my HTPC up and running, just rebuilt it with some upgrades by the way. That's a piece of cake. :D

I just built the server, and right now I'm installing the friggin XP updates. Will probably finish later in the day, although if it gets as hot as yesterday I might just do nothing. At. All.

Wow wow wow... Some of my friends think I am crazy to put a 16 bays server in my house. I need to show them this now. Unbelievable!!!

Back