• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD DVD's

CrazyCaliGirl

Do you need to buy special media when backing up your HD DVD's or will the normal DVD-R's work?

Do you need to buy special media when backing up your HD DVD's or will the normal DVD-R's work?

right now there are no hd dvd burners except for a few toshiba laptops so right now you can back them up to hard drives, however you can backup the ripped files on dvd-r's with backup software like you would do with any file but you wont be able to play them back in a player, but this should change in time

So can I copy an HD DVD movie directly onto a normal DVD-R disk with AnyDVD HD and CloneDVD like I do my regular movies now ?

Last edited:
So can I copy an HD DVD movie directly onto a normal DVD-R disk with AnyDVD HD and CloneDVD like I do my regular movies now ?

No, CloneDVD doesn't yet work with HD discs. AnyDVD HD will rip the disc to your hard drive, and from there you can copy that data to a DVDR (or some of it, anyway; DVDs aren't exactly big enough to store the entirety of an HD-DVD). There are no tools yet that are able to transcode HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs so they can fit on smaller discs. That'll take some time.

The file formats used by both HD-DVDs and BD discs are not recognizable by any of the consumer level applications that would allow you to split them up into smaller files for storage on blank DVD-R discs. There is no way to back up commercial HD-DVDs to recordable media other than ripping the files to a hard drive for playback. However, there are methods whereby you can create your own HD-DVDs from Hi-Def sources using Ulead's DVD Movie Factory 5 or 6, VideoReDo, and a couple of freeware utilities. The HD-DVDs are actually standard DVD-R discs that will play back in Hi-Def on any HD-DVD player. The entire process is outlined over at the AVS Forums in the HD DVD software section.

I've been extracting HD content from my DirecTV HDTivos and my series 3 Tivos with FIOS and burning them to DVD-R for about a year now and the results are as good as the original broadcast HD program. I've gotten to where I'll backup a HD-DVD or BD disc for playback but if I want a permanant backup I'll wait until it comes to HBO or other HD channel on FIOS and then record it to DVD-R in HD.

Back