HD DVD's

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray issues)' started by CrazyCaliGirl, Nov 21, 2007.

1. CrazyCaliGirl

CrazyCaliGirl New Member

Do you need to buy special media when backing up your HD DVD's or will the normal DVD-R's work?

2. bk1987

bk1987 Well-Known Member

right now there are no hd dvd burners except for a few toshiba laptops so right now you can back them up to hard drives, however you can backup the ripped files on dvd-r's with backup software like you would do with any file but you wont be able to play them back in a player, but this should change in time

3. CrazyCaliGirl

CrazyCaliGirl New Member

So can I copy an HD DVD movie directly onto a normal DVD-R disk with AnyDVD HD and CloneDVD like I do my regular movies now ?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  4. TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron Well-Known Member

No, CloneDVD doesn't yet work with HD discs. AnyDVD HD will rip the disc to your hard drive, and from there you can copy that data to a DVDR (or some of it, anyway; DVDs aren't exactly big enough to store the entirety of an HD-DVD). There are no tools yet that are able to transcode HD-DVD or Blu-Ray discs so they can fit on smaller discs. That'll take some time.

5. captain_video

captain_video Well-Known Member

The file formats used by both HD-DVDs and BD discs are not recognizable by any of the consumer level applications that would allow you to split them up into smaller files for storage on blank DVD-R discs. There is no way to back up commercial HD-DVDs to recordable media other than ripping the files to a hard drive for playback. However, there are methods whereby you can create your own HD-DVDs from Hi-Def sources using Ulead's DVD Movie Factory 5 or 6, VideoReDo, and a couple of freeware utilities. The HD-DVDs are actually standard DVD-R discs that will play back in Hi-Def on any HD-DVD player. The entire process is outlined over at the AVS Forums in the HD DVD software section.

I've been extracting HD content from my DirecTV HDTivos and my series 3 Tivos with FIOS and burning them to DVD-R for about a year now and the results are as good as the original broadcast HD program. I've gotten to where I'll backup a HD-DVD or BD disc for playback but if I want a permanant backup I'll wait until it comes to HBO or other HD channel on FIOS and then record it to DVD-R in HD.