• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD DVD Question

Wolf359359

I have been happily ripping HD DVD's with AnyDVD today (maybe 5 so far) and I have encountered a few (three actually) that won't even be recognized. It's the Blade Runner 5 disc complete collector's edition. I believe it is a USA copy don't know where it was pressed but tell me how to find out and I can report back on that. The three HD DVD's in the box set don't get recognized by the drive. What I mean by that is the drive ramps up spinning and anydvd pops up and says it scanning the disc and then it never stops. I let it run for a good 5 minutes. My understanding is to post a log file the disc needs to be recognized. IE anydvd stops reading the disc and knows what the disc title is. This seems like a drive problem but I am not sure. The drive is obviously older and I forget the model but I can post back with that if it is important. Any insight would be helpful.

anydvd pops up and says it scanning the disc and then it never stops
About this, I had some DVDs with apparently a heavy protection and it took a long time for AnyDVD to scan them, even on another drive and on my Asus 16-whatever. It took several minutes to scan them, but at the end the Info showed up and I was able to rip all three discs in that set.
So maybe give it a try and let it run for at least five minutes.

About HD-DVDs itself, I cannot say. I only ripped my firsts of them a few weeks ago and everything went fine, apart a few read errors as I have with some other BDs and DVDs as well, no nothing special.

that won't even be recognized
Try if Windows itself can recognize them. Disable AnyDVD and insert the disc. Then look into Windows Explorer what happens or if the disc will stop spinning after a few seconds. After that (if Windows can recognize them), you should try to let it run for some minutes as I said above.

I should mention that this is a sata drive in a vantec enclosure. I put in disc one just now and let it run without anydvd running. I let it go for a good 5 minutes. Windows 11 never recognized the disc. Next I tried again with anydvd running. I did a power cycle on the drive and put the disc in and let it run. With this particular disc, anydvd didn't even come up and say "scanning disc." Each time the drive activity indicator light blinks slowly and consistently and doesn't show any real activity. It stopped scanning the disc after a few minutes and anydvd said there was no disc. I attached the ziplog but judging from the title it won't reveal much.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.6.0.0_Info_F_EMPTY_DRIVE.ziplog
    29.5 KB · Views: 12
I am not an expert and had to search what a hd-dvd is?
HD DVD is a discontinued high-density optical disc format for storing data and playback of high-definition video. Supported principally by Toshiba, HD DVD was envisioned to be the successor to the standard DVD format.Wikipedia
it seems like hd-dvd is an old format and may not be read by your optical drives . I also can not read your empty drive post. In my opinion why not get regular dvds or blu-ray and see if that helps. I jusr read your empty drive post and it say you habe cdrom drive not a dvd drive if I read it correctly. Question do you have a dvdrw or bluray drive??? that may be the problem-? good luck

Last edited:
I should mention that this is a sata drive in a vantec enclosure. I put in disc one just now and let it run without anydvd running. I let it go for a good 5 minutes. Windows 11 never recognized the disc. Next I tried again with anydvd running. I did a power cycle on the drive and put the disc in and let it run. With this particular disc, anydvd didn't even come up and say "scanning disc." Each time the drive activity indicator light blinks slowly and consistently and doesn't show any real activity. It stopped scanning the disc after a few minutes and anydvd said there was no disc. I attached the ziplog but judging from the title it won't reveal much.
1) If this is about HD, it should be in the HD section, not the DVD section. But since it is here now....
2) Is it a Bluray disc or an HD DVD?
3) If it truly is an HD DVD, is your drive capable of reading an HD DVD or just Bluray? They are not the same. My guess would be you have a BD drive and not an HD DVD drive.

I am not an expert and had to search what a hd-dvd is?
HD DVD is a discontinued high-density optical disc format for storing data and playback of high-definition video. Supported principally by Toshiba, HD DVD was envisioned to be the successor to the standard DVD format.Wikipedia
it seems like hd-dvd is an old format and may not be read by your optical drives . I also can not read your empty drive post. In my opinion why not get regular dvds or blu-ray and see if that helps.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. My drive does read HD DVD.

1) If this is about HD, it should be in the HD section, not the DVD section. But since it is here now....
2) Is it a Bluray disc or an HD DVD?
3) If it truly is an HD DVD, is your drive capable of reading an HD DVD or just Bluray? They are not the same.
Thanks for the reply. Please re-read the very first sentence of my first post.

Sorry this is in the wrong forum. I didn't see an HD DVD section so I posted here. Not trying to be snarky, but I know what an HD DVD is and the drive reads them. I am positive of this. Thanks.

also: I went back and read my first post. I guess it could be read that none of the HD DVDs I tried worked. 5 worked out of 8. The three that didn't work were all in the Blade Runner box set. Again, 5 ripped fine.
Moderators: please consider moving this thread to the appropriate forum.

Last edited:
There is no HD-DVD section. This format is outdated long time ago. I will check your log file.

Last edited:
Would I loose any functionality in AnyDVD if I updated the firmware?

There are 3 forums 1 for dvdS #2 for blu-rayS and # 3 uhd section- Please POST IN THE RIGHT SECTION!!!

scotton thanks for the reply. Read my posts. Welcome to the ignore button.

Would I loose any functionality in AnyDVD if I updated the firmware?
No. But most likely it won't help. New firmwares just added mostly new media for burning purposes. Try with the cleaned disc and provide a new log file if it doesn't work.

Cleaned the disc. No change. Here's the logfile. Note the timestamp.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.6.0.0_Info_F_EMPTY_DRIVE.ziplog
    27.9 KB · Views: 1
HD DVD's did not hold up well over time. I just recently re-ripped mine (in the past couple weeks) and I have one that I can't get to read, either. It's been sitting in the box since I got it and I take good care of them. Cleaned it, etc did not help. Unfortunately, it may just end up being a few bad discs with no real way to recover them.

HD DVD's did not hold up well over time. I just recently re-ripped mine (in the past couple weeks) and I have one that I can't get to read, either. It's been sitting in the box since I got it and I take good care of them. Cleaned it, etc did not help. Unfortunately, it may just end up being a few bad discs with no real way to recover them.
Thanks. Can I ask the disc?

Back