• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD DVD Problem

ron spencer

Not sure if this should be in this forum or not...mods please move if you feel it should be elsewhere.

I have one of those combo HDDVD/DVDs here, The Brave One to be exact. Of course it, like other combos, has the issue that its physical quality is poor...many of these discs had CRC errors when ripping (manufacturing defects). Of course I cannot rip because of this. Is there anyway I get get around such a defect or am I SOL. I have tried AnyDVDHD with drive speed set to slow...just wondered if anything else can be done.

Basically, yes, unless you can find an application that will brute force rip--and then you risk wearing out your drive . . .

And even if you can brute force rip, the rip won't be perfect (you will be missing material, even if it's for less than half a second).

You can also try another drive (some drives are better readers than others), but I wouldn't hold your breath.

I have tried AnyDVDHD with drive speed set to slow...just wondered if anything else can be done.

Not with Anydvd HD

Last edited:
Too bad...Bizarre though. My Toshiba A30 standalone player plays it fine, but none of my two PC HD DVD drives or 2 xbox 360 HD DVD players, can read it. Good think I only paid $1.99 for it LOL!!! Guess it is heading to the trash!!!

Too bad...Bizarre though. My Toshiba A30 standalone player plays it fine, but none of my two PC HD DVD drives or 2 xbox 360 HD DVD players, can read it. Good think I only paid $1.99 for it LOL!!! Guess it is heading to the trash!!!

Actually, that's not bizarre. That situation is becoming increasingly common due to poor quality control (and outsourcing to the cheapest manufacturing and labour process) even with Blu-rays.

Simply because a disc plays fine (even in one device) doesn't mean the disc is fine, unfortunately.

As for one device being able to "see" and play the disc, again, some drives are better readers than others. That doesn't imply, however, that even if you could somehow hook up the optical drive in your Toshiba A30 to a computer that the disc would rip without read errors. Playing is not that same thing as ripping . . .

That's unfortunate about your disc. Sorry to read that.

Last edited:
thanks....no big deal for $1.99. I just got another 360 HD DVD from a garage sale for $3 LOL....I guess I am future proofed for HD DVD. Will try that one and if it does not work, then out the disc goes.

thanks....no big deal for $1.99. I just got another 360 HD DVD from a garage sale for $3 LOL....I guess I am future proofed for HD DVD. Will try that one and if it does not work, then out the disc goes.
I don't understand--you have a SAP and it plays the disc--why do you have to rip it, and if you can't you throw it away??? :confused:

Movie BTW is complete crap--no need to own/rip/watch/keep such garbage around anyway.

Back