• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD-DVD playback!

djficus

Hi,
After 3 days of reading this forum and Doom9, I gave up because I cannot find a clear answer to my problem!
I use a Xbox360 HD drive, AnyDVD HD 6.1.3.0 trial, PowerDVD 7.3, Nvidia graphic card FX 5200 128 Mb with DVI output AGP 8x but limited at 4x by motherboard, last drivers 93.81 forceware, XP SP2 and LCD 32" 720p without HDCP!

Using anydvd hd I manage to copy the KingKong HD-DVD to my hard-drive, but when I try to play that with PDVD is saying that my graphic drivers, or graphics card is not having the minimum requirements! Try to play directly from HD-DVD drive is the same message.

I use a old Dell, 2.8Ghz, IDE HDD, 1GB RAM and I am not very happy to change all my pc just for HD! Trailers from apple in 1080p works fine!

Somebody could help here before my trial of anydvd hd expire?

Many thanks,
DjFicus

graphic card FX 5200 128 Mb
but when I try to play that with PDVD is saying that my graphic drivers, or graphics card is not having the minimum requirements!

Yup. This is a powerdvd restriction based on the version you're using. Apparently, version 6.5 might work for you, but your video card is a weak-link anyway.

Otherwise, from http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/require_112_ENU.html

"Graphics Card

* nVidia: GeForce 7600 GT, GeForce 7800 GTX 512, GeForce 7900 GX2, GeForce 7900 GTX, GeForce 7950 GX2
* ATI: X1600 series, X1800 series, X1900 series
* Video RAM: Graphics card memory requires 256 MB or above"

Thanks for the quick answer! You say that is no chance to make HD working with my old graphic card?
I have try to find PDVD 6.5 but this version is very rare (any suggestion were I can find a copy?)
To buy a new graphic card and fit it into my 4x AGP port will be a big waiste of money!
Any others suggestions?!
DjFicus

Thanks for the quick answer! You say that is no chance to make HD working with my old graphic card?
I have try to find PDVD 6.5 but this version is very rare (any suggestion were I can find a copy?)
To buy a new graphic card and fit it into my 4x AGP port will be a big waiste of money!
Any others suggestions?!
DjFicus

I have not tried it, so I don't know.. but *apparently* PowerDVD 7.3 *doesn't* contain the silly check. Trying to get the update now.

*update*
I got the upgrade and nope.. still has the silly check.

Last edited:
It is Working!!!!

So, after I have tried
Power DVD 7.3 (graphic card error 0012, aparently they ask for minimum GeForce 7600)
Then WinDVD 8, this doesnt work at all, say nothing, but is not playing, neither from HD DVD or hard disk;
Finally I "managed" to find a copy of PowerDVD 6.5, dont ask how! THis soft works fine is not complaining about my graphic card, play from HD DVD or from hard disk.

BUT, always is a but, the weak link turn tu be my CPU!! Pentium 4 2.8Ghz seems to not be enough to handle 30Mbps bitrate! The image is nice but the cpu is struggling to keep the frame rate so you cannot watch a movie!

The solution to that probably will be a XBOX360 console, second hand arround 200-250 euros instead a new PC dual-core at least 500€.

Hope my experience help some others lads!

Cheers,
DjFicus

The solution to that probably will be a XBOX360 console, second hand arround 200-250 euros instead a new PC dual-core at least 500€.

I always figured that would be my failback plan, but I'm happy with the mac mini's output. (Dual 1.83Ghz) Most of the time I don't notice any tearing.
Maybe later this year, there'll be a new Mini with the new intel onboard graphics with HDMI support and a Core 2 Duo processor and this would be a good reason/excuse to get that.

Faye

divx

Hi,
After 3 days of reading this forum and Doom9, I gave up because I cannot find a clear answer to my problem!
I use a Xbox360 HD drive, AnyDVD HD 6.1.3.0 trial, PowerDVD 7.3, Nvidia graphic card FX 5200 128 Mb with DVI output AGP 8x but limited at 4x by motherboard, last drivers 93.81 forceware, XP SP2 and LCD 32" 720p without HDCP!

Using anydvd hd I manage to copy the KingKong HD-DVD to my hard-drive, but when I try to play that with PDVD is saying that my graphic drivers, or graphics card is not having the minimum requirements! Try to play directly from HD-DVD drive is the same message.

I use a old Dell, 2.8Ghz, IDE HDD, 1GB RAM and I am not very happy to change all my pc just for HD! Trailers from apple in 1080p works fine!

Many thanks,
DjFicus

Just purchase divx and a divx player...convert the file to a hd dvd divx with 5.1 surround and it'll play fine at full hd on the divx dvd player...you'll also need to download an ac3 filter they are free

Just purchase divx and a divx player...convert the file to a hd dvd divx with 5.1 surround and it'll play fine at full hd on the divx dvd player...you'll also need to download an ac3 filter they are free

And converting HDDVD to Divx? How quick is it? How much quality is lost?
Instructions/Tools?

quality

And converting HDDVD to Divx? How quick is it? How much quality is lost?
Instructions/Tools?

you need to choose hd on the converter and select 1280x720 as that is the maximum resolution supported by a standard dvd player over progressive scan
then convert the video...burn it as a data dvd

as far as I know nobody convert yet HD DVD into a DivX format! I had try your silly suggestion with DivX Pro converter 6 and of course is not working: unsupported file format!
Could you give as more detailes if you have?

Hi,

Many thanks,
DjFicus

I went through the same thing as you with a 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4 and an ATI 1600XT AGP video card. I overclocked the Pentium to 3.4 Ghz and playback still stuttered. I'm going to upgrade that system to PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 and AnyDVD 6.1.32 and I'll let you know the results.

I went through the same thing as you with a 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4 and an ATI 1600XT AGP video card. I overclocked the Pentium to 3.4 Ghz and playback still stuttered. I'm going to upgrade that system to PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 and AnyDVD 6.1.32 and I'll let you know the results.
That is surprising!!! What AGP you have on mother board 4x or 8x?
I will make a test this weekend with my work PC a brand new Dell E520 Pentium D 925 3.0Ghz and 1Gb DDR2, nvidia 7300 256MB.
But it seems that without a really good PC is to hard to get good results! Xbox 360 is probably my answer! I still not know what is the max resolution output for that and how they deal with HDCP problems?

DjFicus

Yup. This is a powerdvd restriction based on the version you're using. Apparently, version 6.5 might work for you, but your video card is a weak-link anyway.

Otherwise, from http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/products/require_112_ENU.html

Per Cyberlink, an HDCP compliant display is required (for hd).

Per Slysoft: Allows you to watch movies over a digital display connection, without HDCP compliant graphics card and HDCP compliant display. No need to buy an expensive monitor. Sweet!

Thus how should the statement by Slysoft be interpreted?
May I accurately interpret it as:
Allows you to watch movies over a digital display connection, without HDCP compliant graphics card and without HDCP compliant display. No need to buy an expensive monitor. Sweet!

It looks a bit like the left hand giveth but the right hand taketh away.:)

TIA

HUH? :confused: :disagree:

It meens you DONT need a HDCP compatible Graphics Card or Monitor to watch any HD (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD) DVD's if you are using this Slysoft product.

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I originally understood it to mean.

The contradiction entered because:
1) Slysoft stated that an HDCP compliant display was not required (edit: as I understood it).
2) Slysoft stated to use Cyberlink Ultra.
3) Webslinger (to paraphrase) recommends one should follow requirements
provided by Cyberlink.
4) Cyberlink quite clearing states an HDCP compliant display is required.

Merely trying to clarify the issue.

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I originally understood it to mean.

The contradiction entered because:
1) Slysoft stated that an HDCP compliant display was not required (edit: as I understood it).
2) Slysoft stated to use Cyberlink Ultra.
3) Webslinger (to paraphrase) recommends one should follow requirements
provided by Cyberlink.
4) Cyberlink quite clearing states an HDCP compliant display is required.

Merely trying to clarify the issue.

Cyberlink lists requirements for playback of encrypted HD content on their website.
They don't mention the fact, that PowerDVD will play non-encrypted HD content (which also exists without AnyDVD HD :)) with no limitations. That's probably because this type of unencrypted media is comparedly rare, so they don't care.
So don't take Webslingers advice too literately, leave away the HDCP part.
He was rather addressing the "computing power" minimum.

And...

Cyberlink lists requirements for playback of encrypted HD content on their website.
They don't mention the fact, that PowerDVD will play non-encrypted HD content (which also exists without AnyDVD HD :)) with no limitations. That's probably because this type of unencrypted media is comparedly rare, so they don't care.
So don't take Webslingers advice too literately, leave away the HDCP part.
He was rather addressing the "computing power" minimum.

Following Cyberlinks advice is the answer. Not all the Video Cards they list are HDCP compliant. HDCP is NOT required when using AnyDVD/HD however a computer with a lot of memory, CPU power and a really good GPU are needed for decent playback. the X1600 is about the minimum Video card that will work (it is not HDCP compliant according to ATI) and is listed in the Cyberlink specs.

Thanks to all of you for responding.

Is the x1600 the video card that was not compliant because it
provided hd data to be transmitted in a manner which was outside
the HDCP dictates? i.e. no handshaking for output.

Thanks to all of you for responding.

Is the x1600 the video card that was not compliant because it
provided hd data to be transmitted in a manner which was outside
the HDCP dictates? i.e. no handshaking for output.

I have a Visiontek ATI Radeon X1600XT agp video card and it works fine with my Sony SXRD HDTV. My Sony is this year's model and it requires HDCP compliance when a device is connected to any of the HDMI inputs. I know this because when I tried to use an ATI Radeon 9800 video card it would not work. I am using a DVI to HDMI cable to connect the output from the X1600XT to the HDTV.

I also tried a 7600XT video card but I prefer the X1600XT because it displays 1080P resolution (1920x1080 pixels) without overscan. I had to reduce the resolution on the 7600XT to get it to not overscan.

Last edited:
Back