• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD-DVD playback!

I also tried a 7600XT video card but I prefer the X1600XT because it displays 1080P resolution (1920x1080 pixels) without overscan. I had to reduce the resolution on the 7600XT to get it to not overscan.
Do you have the 55-inch SXRD TV? It's got plenty of overscan built-in and it has nothing to with the video card you're using.

Do you have the 55-inch SXRD TV? It's got plenty of overscan built-in and it has nothing to with the video card you're using.

No it's a KDS-R70XBR2 and there's absolutely no overscan with the ATI X1600XT when I set the video card to 1920x1080 and connect it to the HDMI input on the Sony.

I have the 55" SXRD and you are right there is around 5% overscan with this TV, I use Powerstrip to scale so that the Vista desktop fits the visible screen size perfectly and Vista does look absolutely stunning. My problem is that PowerDVD won't use the same scaling and also PD turns off Aero and into basic mode. :confused:

I have the 55" SXRD and you are right there is around 5% overscan with this TV, I use Powerstrip to scale so that the Vista desktop fits the visible screen size perfectly and Vista does look absolutely stunning. My problem is that PowerDVD won't use the same scaling and also PD turns off Aero and into basic mode. :confused:

Assuming that you have a Sony KDS-55A2000 55 inch SXRD, the specs say that it has a resolution of 1920x1080. Wouldn't that would be a false statement if it did not actually display it. I've googled for overscan problems with this set and haven't found any.

What input are you using on the 55" SXRD, because I find it hard to believe that it would overscan on the 1080i HDMI input? If that's true then it means that it would also overscan if you were using a Blu-ray or HD DVD standalone player. If this really happening, then maybe it could be refocused to eliminate the overscan.

This said, I still think it's the graphics card that's causing the overscan. I've seen this happen in the past on VGA monitors when the video card output did not match the monitor's input requirements.

Last edited:
Assuming that you have a Sony KDS-55A2000 55 inch SXRD, the specs say that it has a resolution of 1920x1080. Wouldn't that would be a false statement if it did not actually display it. I've googled for overscan problems with this set and haven't found any.
Then you haven't looked well enough. The overscan on that TV is a well-known fact. I've been in touch with Sony's European product manager for SXRD RPTVs; Sony is aware of the overscan, but seems reluctant to do anything about it. In fact, in one e-mail I was told that Sony engineers won't allow 0% overscan, but no reason for this was given. I pleaded Sony to get rid of the overscan and issue a firmware update for the TV, but it's very unlikely to happen.

It is possible to enter service menu and reduce the overscan by some degree, but it's impossible to achieve 0%, unfortunately. And yes, overscan affects all image sources, HD DVD and BD stand-alone players included.

I happen to have the KDS-70R2000 as well. It's supposed to be the equivalent of KDS-R70XBR2 but there are some internal differences. There's some overscan in KDS-70R2000, too; not sure about the US variant. edit: There's plenty of talk about KDS-R70XBR2's overscan in AVS' Owner's thread. See http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=9776877&highlight=overscan#post9776877

Last edited:
You need a new CPU.....

You really need a new computer to run HD-DVD. I had a Dell almost just like your configuration and using PowerDVD 6.5 all I could get was the main menu screen to work. Once I clicked on play movie it ground to a quick halt.

I ordered a refurbed Dell XPS 410 for $700 (Core 2 Duo 2.13) and it plays just fine now on PowerDVD 6.5. Still trying to get PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra to work. Currently all i get is a black screen on it with the sound in the background.

I wish we had a better software player for sure.

You really need a new computer to run HD-DVD. I had a Dell almost just like your configuration and using PowerDVD 6.5 all I could get was the main menu screen to work. Once I clicked on play movie it ground to a quick halt.

I ordered a refurbed Dell XPS 410 for $700 (Core 2 Duo 2.13) and it plays just fine now on PowerDVD 6.5. Still trying to get PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra to work. Currently all i get is a black screen on it with the sound in the background.

I wish we had a better software player for sure.
Better computer? So I make a test with my Pc from work, Pentium D 3.0 GHz, nVidia GeForce 7300 LE, Power DVD 7.3, XP SP2, connection via DVI to 32" LCD LG non HDCP 1366x768.
Xbox360 HD driver and AnyDVD 6.1.3.0 version (without is not working)!

Play from disk or ripped and play from HDD results the same!
With this configuration the image frame rate sometimes is below the normal, you can watch the movie but some parts espeacially wide angles are hardly processed!
I was check the CPU is stay arround 50%-60%, so should be the graphic card! (I have the latest driver so dont start with that).

From my point of view there is ultra-expensive to go for PC playback of HD DVD. Only a decent graphic card is at least 200€, plus CPU dual core minimum 200€, PDVD 99€, AnyDVD 80€ and soon ...

How is the playback from xbox360, somebody can say something about that? A second hand one is not more than 250-300 € which is much chepper than purchasing all those expensive hardwares!

I went through the same thing as you with a 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4 and an ATI 1600XT AGP video card. I overclocked the Pentium to 3.4 Ghz and playback still stuttered. I'm going to upgrade that system to PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 and AnyDVD 6.1.32 and I'll let you know the results.

Ok, I finally tried it and the results are suprising! (Note: I used AnyDVD 6.1.3.3).

Originally, I only had the XBOX 360 drive but now I have a Liteon LH-2B1S Blu-ray drive so I was able to test BD playback this time.

The results are that I was able to play Blu-ray movies fine without stutter but HD DVD movies still stutter.

Last edited:
DIVX "A" certified HD PLAYER

as far as I know nobody convert yet HD DVD into a DivX format! I had try your silly suggestion with DivX Pro converter 6 and of course is not working: unsupported file format!
Could you give as more detailes if you have?

YOU NEED A DIVX A CERTIFIED PLAYER TO PLAY HD DVIX FILES...
you'll find them here...

http://www.divx.com/products/hw/browse.php?c=1

Ok, I finally tried it and the results are suprising! (Note: I used AnyDVD 6.1.3.3).

Originally, I only had the XBOX 360 drive but now I have a Liteon LH-2B1S Blu-ray drive so I was able to test BD playback this time.

The results are that I was able to play Blu-ray movies fine without stutter but HD DVD movies still stutter.

BluRay movies are currently MPEG2 which will put a lot less stress on the player than VC-1 or AVC. You just need more juice in that CPU.

Back