HD-DVD From External HDD Through Xbox 360

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray issues)' started by brandonvd, Dec 2, 2007.

1. brandonvd

brandonvd Member

So now that I know that my computer isn't capable of HD-DVD playback because of my previous thread I would like to know about a different solution.

If I backup my movies onto my external 500 gig HDD and then hook it up to my Xbox 360 can I play movies? Should I put an .iso file on the HDD or just the files?

I haven't seen this exact senario in these forums before so I figured I would ask.

Thanks,

Brandon

2. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Retired Moderator

No. Not possible at all. The 360 can only play HD DVD's using the USB HD DVD drive. That's it.

3. brandonvd

brandonvd Member

Yeah, that's what I thought.

What about the PS3. I know that it is possible to play backed up blueray movies using lixux, etc. but I haven't read anywhere of successful HD-DVD playback.

Unfortunately I don't have the funds right now because of Christmas to build a HTPC, but I do have a Xbox 360 with the HD-DVD addon and a PS3.

Brandon

4. SamuriHL

Where did you read that playback of Blu-ray movies works in Linux? Cause, um, no. It does not. A lot of us use Linux to rip the raw ISO to an external drive using the PS3's Blu-ray drive, but, we then mount that raw ISO using Daemon Tools on an HTPC. I suppose if the Blu-ray was MPEG2 encoded you MIGHT get it to playback the TS in Linux, but, until they get hardware acceleration working in Linux on the PS3(and it's close from what I've read), playback isn't likely to be very smooth. If a universal player comes out for Linux, then yes, it might be possible to plug in an HD DVD drive on the PS3 and play an HD DVD. :D Hilarious, I know. :)

5. brandonvd

brandonvd Member

6. SamuriHL

I've seen it, but, it has serious limitations and isn't likely to work well. Not for a while anyway.