• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HBO MAX Space Jam- A New Legacy 4K

This is not how it works on UHD BDs. HDR(10) isn't just meta data. On UHD BD you have a HDR10 base layer and then a Dolby Vision enhancement layer (can either be a full or. minimal layer).
If your TV doesn't support HDR10, then the BD player does the HDR10>SDR conversion.
So like, I knew that, but I guess my mind just replaced "4K SDR" with "4K HDR" when I read that comment. Encoding SDR and extrapolating HDR out of it is basically how you get HLG, and it's the black sheep of the HDR family for a reason.

So I’m thinking of converting my whatever 1080P HM movies to 4K once I can login. I use Plex. What should I be downloading from AS to ensure best experience? What about running the AS download through Handbrake to make it play nice with all equipment? I realize it’s time consuming but may be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you turn on the log messages, when you start to DL the movie, if you see the message

"[Debug] [Mux:hbomax] Setting original format hvc1"

then you may be able to watch the movie (I can watch them with VLC or KODI). If the format starts with dv, such as in "Setting original format dvh1", then it'll be in Dolby Vision and you may have problems playing the file and see that green / pink tint if you don't have the proper hardware / software setup. Since these won't work for me, I just abort the download and move on.

Here's the HM 4k/UHD movies that I've had luck getting the hvc1 format of where the resolution is better than 1080p :

Space Jam A New Legacy - 3200x1800
Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice - 2560x1440
The Matrix Reloaded - 3840x2160
The Matrix Revolutions - 3840x2160
Wonder Woman (2017) - 3200x1800

The other UHD movies that are currently on HM are either causing a stream initialization failure/crash, or are in dolby vision (dvh1).

Last edited:
How can I convert the movie in 4kuhd from .mp4 to .Miva format
Using mkvtool uts not working

How can I convert the movie in 4kuhd from .mp4 to .Miva format
Using mkvtool uts not working

ren movie.mp4 movie.Miva

Just kidding of course... Maybe that's a question more suited for MKVTool's forum?

If you turn on the log messages, when you start to DL the movie, if you see the message

then you may be able to watch the movie (I can watch them with VLC or KODI). If the format starts with dv, such as in "Setting original format dvhe ", then it'll be in Dolby Vision and you may have problems playing the file and see that green / pink tint if you don't have the proper hardware / software setup. Since these won't work for me, I just abort the download and move on.

Here's the HM 4k/UHD movies that I've had luck getting the hvc1 format of where the resolution is better than 1080p :

The Matrix Reloaded - 3480x2160
The Matrix Revolutions - 3280x2160

The other UHD movies that are currently on HM are either causing a stream initialization failure/crash, or are in dolby vision (dvhe).
I think it's fair to assume that the next version will allow switching between HDR10 and Dolby Vision downloads. Perhaps it'll be a preferences setting, or it'll be in the form of extra options in the drop down.

I think it's fair to assume that the next version will allow switching between HDR10 and Dolby Vision downloads
Unless you have inside information, why should we assume this? I have no inside information, i.e. uninformed, perhaps naïve, and I think it's fair to assume nothing until we see the release notes.

Unless you have inside information, why should we assume this? I have no inside information, i.e. uninformed, perhaps naïve, and I think it's fair to assume nothing until we see the release notes.
Because it would make absolutely no sense for them not to. Without a compatible device, and TV, DV files are as useful as a soaking wet towel. HDR10 can be played back on numerous devices, and easily tone-mapped to SDR. It makes no sense to offer 4K download, and then have it be a crapshoot whether you get the file that works perfectly or the file that looks like you took acid. I assume it will happen because I believe the devs are competent individuals.

"They" as in RedFox isn't offering anything. HBO is (and very likely due to a flaw in DRM implementation) 4K and higher content is usually very highly drm protected. It's your right to assume what you want, but it's highly unlikely for AnyStream to offer 4K (across all providers that is) at any time soon. Tonemapping HDR to SDR is anything but the trivial task you make it out to be (on PC). Playing HDR tonemapped content on a non-hdr TV usually screws up the colors one way or another if the TV handles it.

"They" as in RedFox isn't offering anything. HBO is (and very likely due to a flaw in DRM implementation) 4K and higher content is usually very highly drm protected. It's your right to assume what you want, but it's highly unlikely for AnyStream to offer 4K (across all providers that is) at any time soon.
I'm specifically referring to HBO Max right now, which is currently serving AS users flavors of HDR at random.
Edit: Sorry, I didn't read your whole response. Yes, thank you, I'm very much aware of this. I wasn't implying anything other than HBO Max needs the ability to switch.
Tonemapping HDR to SDR is anything but the trivial task you make it out to be (on PC). Playing HDR tonemapped content on a non-hdr TV usually screws up the colors one way or another if the TV handles it.
On PC, it very much is trivial. Pop it into VLC, boom. Pop it into MPC-HC with MadVR, boom, done. On a TV? Yes, it is much more challenging, but Plex can do it on the fly.

Last edited:
I have a Roku Ultra (4670x which does NOT support Dolby Vision, just 4k HDR) and FireTV 4K Stick (supports Dolby Vision+HDR) running through my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX103 receiver to my Sony XBR65X900F TV (the Pioneer and Sony support 4K DV and HDR). I usually watch my downloaded and ripped movies using Plex. (I was using Kodi before Amazon messed up the audio passthrough on it).

When using Plex to Space Jam New Legacy, Batman vs Superman, WW84 downloaded via AnyStream, the Roku Ultra gave me green, the FireTV 4K Stick plays nicely.

Last edited:
I have a Roku Ultra (4670x which does NOT support Dolby Vision, just 4k HDR) and FireTV 4K Stick (supports Dolby Vision+HDR) running through my Pioneer Elite VSX-LX103 receiver to my Sony XBR65X900F TV (the Pioneer and Sony support 4K DV and HDR). I usually watch my downloaded and ripped movies using Plex. (I was using Kodi before Amazon messed up the audio passthrough on it).

When using Plex to Space Jam New Legacy, Batman vs Superman, WW84 downloaded via AnyStream, the Roku Ultra gave me green, the FireTV 4K Stick plays nicely.
Plex has Dolby Vision compatibility problems depending on the platform, it's been a known issue for months but they haven't fixed it yet.

Plex has Dolby Vision compatibility problems depending on the platform, it's been a known issue for months but they haven't fixed it yet.
Well that and isn't there also a problem with HDR transcoding when PMS is running on a Windows PC?

I was trying to say that at least with hardware that supports DV, these movies do play fine for me, even via Plex (as long as transcoding on the plex server isn't needed).

Since my wife and our son usually use Plex on Roku, I just have to teach them what to look for so they know to switch to the FireTV 4K stick for certain movies.

Is anyone able to download 4k dv movies from hbomax today?? As i cant

Hello,

i have downloaded few 4k UHD movies form hbomax . format is in Dolby vision. when i am playing on my Surface Pro 7 and Pro 7 connected to 4k monitor and 4k Tv, i am getting Green and pink colors in the video

is this common or what is the alternative way to watch these movies ?

Is there a way that i can download 4k HDR movies with anystream

Hello,

i have downloaded few 4k UHD movies form hbomax . format is in Dolby vision. when i am playing on my Surface Pro 7 and Pro 7 connected to 4k monitor and 4k Tv, i am getting Green and pink colors in the video

Yes, it's common. The solution seems to be downloading anything above 1080 and below full 4K. The devs may add a way to switch between HDR10 and DV on HBO MAX 4K, they may not, we'll have to see. For now, that solution works.

Hello,

then you may be able to watch the movie (I can watch them with VLC or KODI). If the format starts with dv, such as in "Setting original format dvh1", then it'll be in Dolby Vision and you may have problems playing the file and see that green / pink tint if you don't have the proper hardware / software setup. Since these won't work for me, I just abort the download and move on.

The Matrix Reloaded - 3840x2160
The Matrix Revolutions - 3840x2160

The other UHD movies that are currently on HM are either causing a stream initialization failure/crash, or are in dolby vision (dvh1).

Last edited:

The Matrix Reloaded - 3480x2160
The Matrix Revolutions - 3280x2160

Thanks for the detailed explanation

The other UHD movies that are currently on HM
With the way HBO Max rotates their theatrical releases off and back on to the service there's currently only like a dozen 4K titles on HBO Max total.

Back