• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Having problems playing Paramount HD DVD's

anderdea

I have a HP dv9260nr multimedia laptop with a Toshiba (used by HP) HD DVD player. The software that plays the HD DVD's is called HP Quickplay. It is actually produced by Cyberlink and is the HP version of Cyberlink's Power DVD ultra. My problem is that any Paramount HD DVD I put in (Stardust and NexT for example) will load but continually produces a flashing green screen then normal video then back to green screen at about .25 second intervals. It's looks like some type of a macro vision process from the past. It's totally unwatchable.
I am also using AnyDVD HD.
My other HD DVD's play OK.

Has anyone experienced this problem?
Is there a fix?
All my drivers are up to date and I just downloaded and installed the latest version of "Quickplay"
Thanks, Don

Do they play without AnyDVD active? Is the "rename highest xpl file..." checked in AnyDVD's video hd dvd options page? If so, uncheck it.

Anderdea,
I couldn`t get Stardust to play at all either.My problem was after AnyDVD started scanning,my computer would freeze and all I could do was a hard reset.I kept going through this no matter what I tried.The only way I could get it to play was select AnyDVD rip to disc function select a folderand clickm ok.Then I loaded the disc and it would rip to disc.Only then was I able to play it.I had to do that with another disc as well.I still can`t get The Mummy Returns to play no matter what I do though.I hope this helps you.

samuriHL,
I wasn't aware of the options you mentioned in AnyDVD, I'll look for it tonight. However it does the same thing with or without AnyDVD HD. I will add however, if I make sure that AnyDVD HD recognizes the disc before I launch "Quickplay", Quick Play seems to recognize the disc and load it with less trouble.

Bill01,
I don't want to go through all that hassle. I can load and view the Paramount HD DVD's but just doesn't play correctly. Also I can load a standard DVD from a folder within "Quickplay" but it won't recognize a folder with a ripped HD DVD in it and I'm not going to spend an additional $99.00 to get PowerDVD Ultra just to see if it will play from a folder. This whole HD DVD/ Blue Ray thing is such a feasco. I'm useing my laptop as a interrum solution (to suppliment my older HTPC) until the Multi players like the Samsung DB-UP5000 become more available and come down in price.
Thanks for the replies

If you're having the same problem without AnyDVD running, then this isn't an AnyDVD issue. You have something else going on with your system I'm afraid. I doubt very much that anything in AnyDVD is going to fix it. You may have to contact the maker of your software and see if they have an update that fixes this problem.

Green flashes are normally caused by Graphics card drivers, My laptop (not an HP) did the same thing until I got a newer driver for it

Ya right!:confused:
Talking to anyone at HP about anything related to playing HD DVD issues is like talking to the wall. HP makes these high end multimedia laptops (I hate Vista) but the engineers/designers are so far ahead of tech support it's become a real issue. The tech support people (mostly from India) aren't trained on anything but the basic issues and as a last resort it's always reinstall the op system. Cyberlink, the company that make "Quickplay" for HP doesn't even reference it on their web site. And trying to get a person to talk to is almost impossible. So I go to the people that are generally in the know, usually from trial and error like this great forum. As you can see, my frustration is showing. :mad:The major computer company's promise the world in regards to what the computer will do but don't supply the knowledgable tech support if there is a issue out of the ordinary. You should have seen the problem I had figuring out how the SDPIF audio out worked. No one at HP knew. I finally saw on a forum that I needed a special 3.5 mm fake audio plug with the end cut off so it would pass the optical audio signal out to my preamp/proecssor.

I'm with adbear on this one that it's LIKELY a driver issue. Hopefully HP makes it easy to find drivers for your laptop on their site? I *HATE* HP with a passion and have boycotted buying anything from them for over 10 years, so, I'm afraid I'm of no help here.

All my drivers are up to date including my Invidia 7600 video card. I've even gone to the manufacturers site and they refer me back to the HP site. Perfect closed loop.:mad: HP has me by the _ _ _ _ _ :bowdown:

two probably usless sugestions but just in case.

1. I dont think theres a prob with your 7600 card but to prove it make the HDDVD window windowed to about 1/4 size of screen.
Load task manager and check your cpu usage, paramount dvd's need about 60% more cpu than other HDDVD's so it could be cpu related.
If this works leave task manager open and then full screen PDVD and see what cpu goes to.

2. Try to get a copy of power dvd ultra (to evaluate) 3319a.

Try and shut down as much other software as possible, disconnect from web etc.

Good luck

All my drivers are up to date including my Invidia 7600 video card. I've even gone to the manufacturers site and they refer me back to the HP site. Perfect closed loop.:mad: HP has me by the _ _ _ _ _ :bowdown:

what nvidia driver version is it? I found anything under the 100 series doesn't play H264 on my laptop. I had to find a hacked driver set to make mine work. I still suspect its the drivers as We just got in a brand new latest HP laptop and it's only just using version 101 of the nvidia drivers

I got my hacked drivers from here

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

The 7600 plays HD DVD and HD ATSC OTA programs with out a glitch. I am also running a dual core Centreno 7200 at 2.0 GHZ for each core that helps.

I palyed with the settings in ANYDVD HD but no change to the Paramount HD DVD's. I also reinstalled the Nvidia 7600 drivers and software from the HP site for my laptop, no change. I still get the green flashing screen when trying to play Paramount studio disks, Next and Stardust.

This is definitely not an AnyDVD issue. If it's only Paramount HD DVD's that's causing this I still have to wonder if the laptop is power enough to handle them. I suppose it's still possible that it's a driver issue like adbear is suggesting, but, I would think that'd affect all discs and not just ones by Paramount.

would be more helpful to see what codec they use by getting powerdvd to show information. I know my problems were caused by discs using h264 codecs and not vc-1

Did u check out the cpu usage?
Also im sure you have but you dont need anydvdhd to play the disk so make sure its not loaded.

Back