• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Has anyone seen the movie, Hereafter?

I ripped it with AnyDVD and reauthored it with DVD Shrink. I don't remember now, but I might have unchecked the English subtitles (sometimes I do...sometimes I don't) and I always uncheck all the foreign subtitles.

OK, long story short, my brother watched a copy I burned for him and he said the scenes with the French journalist didn't have subtitles and he had no idea what was going on in the movie. Most of the time, subtitles are hard-coded into the movie with scenes like that.

So, my question is...should there be subtitles there and how do I get them to work? Will I need to make sure to keep English subtitles and turn them on while watching or something?

Yeah you may have to select all the English subtitles to get the forced subtitles to work if they are not part of the video stream.

You might get better help by putting this in the AnyDVD section. It's not really a problem with AnyDVD, but it's related to a DVD issue.

Mods, I apologize if i'm misleading the op, i've just seen these type of questions related to DVDs in the AnyDVD section most times.

Having said that, Shrink isn't developed anymore so it doesn't always work the best with newer releases. What i would recommend is to strip the subtitles out with something like VSRip. You can set it to only get forced subtitles, however, with a movie like Hereafter, where there is a large number of subtitles, the "forced" subtitles actually have their own subtitle file.

But like i said, strip out the subtitles using VSrip to create an IDX/Sub subtitle file pair. Run the files (the idx file i think) through BDSuptoSub so you can actually see what each subtitle file is saying. In Hereafter, the forced subtitle file is the smallest one, i think.

Once you determine what subtitle file you need, then open up the DVD in something like MultiAVCHD and on the subtitle tab, import your external subtitle file. Remember to uncheck the subtitle files on the disk itself and use your external subtitle file.

I have the same problem. I don't know if its anydvd related or dvdshrink related. I typically reauthor and just back up the movie only. When I did this I did not get any of the hardcoded subtitles from the movie. I could turn on the subtitles feature as I watched but that gives you everything and not just the subtitles of when they speak in french.

Strangely enough, I made another backup of of the whole disc and it played with the hard coded subtitles, even though when you preview it though dvdshrink it does not show them.

This poses a problem, however. If I don't want to make full copy backup's, how do I know what movies will have hard coded subtitles so I can make a full copy. I just realized that Distric 9 had hard coded subtitles and I missed them all. Does clonedvd help with this issue.

Thanks in advance as any help is truly appreaciated.

I just downloaded a trial version of dvdclone2 and I had the same result as with dvdshrink. when reauthoring for only the movie no subtitles when the french journalist was speaking. but when backing up the whole disc, the subtitles are there.

Any ideas.

I just downloaded a trial version of dvdclone2

Wrong software that doesn't belong to Slysoft you will have to contact that other software company that makes that software. CloneDVD is the correct one from Slysoft not "dvdclone2" that is from a company that makes a poorly make program copier that doesn't remove protection but will gladly take your money.

Wrong software that doesn't belong to Slysoft you will have to contact that other software company that makes that software. CloneDVD is the correct one from Slysoft not "dvdclone2" that is from a company that makes a poorly make program copier that doesn't remove protection but will gladly take your money.

Odd, when I open CloneDVD it says on My Programs and on the program when it opens CloneDVD2. Yours doesn't say that?

@mmdavis: now read the post from gallman again. He said dvdclone2, there is no such slysoft product. Slysofts version is CloneDV2. Big difference

There are 2 english subtitle tracks on the DVD of Hereafter, one puts subs throughout the whole movie the other (2nd English Subtitle) is for just the French speaking parts.

Easily done with CloneDVD2

There are 2 english subtitle tracks on the DVD of Hereafter, one puts subs throughout the whole movie the other (2nd English Subtitle) is for just the French speaking parts.

Easily done with CloneDVD2

yup, I just watched this movie too, only I watched it on BD. I noticed that when I select "English2" subtitle, It works like the last guy said...just french subtitles appear.:clap:

yup, I just watched this movie too, only I watched it on BD. I noticed that when I select "English2" subtitle, It works like the last guy said...just french subtitles appear.:clap:
For anyone that might be backing up a movie only copy of this one...
Discovered today that Clown BD is not picking up forced subs on this one. I assumed it would, but it didn't. In this case one just needs to manually force that second subtitle track to be selected by default by making sure a check mark is present in the "Forced Subtitles" option in addition to moving that second english subtitle track to the top of the subtitle section on the next screen in the event any other subtitle tracks are also selected. If you are using BD Rebuilder instead you simply need to right click on the second english subtitle track and set as default.

Back