Harry Potter - HD-DVD - Years 2,3,4 Wont Play

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (Blu-ray issues)' started by Rodster, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Rodster

Rodster Well-Known Member

I recently posted regarding the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player and using it on my Vista laptop, and had issues playing any HD-DVD movies, well it turned out it was WinDVD9, do I installed PowerDVD8 with HD-DVD support which has played all movies perfectly.

I recently purchased all 5 Harry Potter HD-DVD movies for around $AU9 each brand new, and for some strange reason PDVD8 plays Year 1 and Year 5 but the other 3 HP movies wont play at all - just a black screen and the status bar (blue) going along as normal - so no picture and no audio.

These are brand new discs, however I looked at the HD-DVD discs and they look as if they have an oily slick pattern to the data side - not clear and smooth like other discs - possibly a dud batch? I believe WB dont use region coding either, so this is not the problem.

How can I verify these are dodgy discs?

2. Adbear

Adbear Well-Known Member

If the others work then I'd say those 3 are faulty, you could try copying the data to the harddrive to see if it will copy, if not then they are definitely faulty

3. Rodster

Sounds like crappy / if any Quality Control to me and Google indicates many people have had issues with the quality of HD-DVD discs as they are not as reliable as Blu-Ray, I also just installed Vista SP1 and no difference either - definately disc based issue - dud batch.

4. YaniD

YaniD Well-Known Member

If the surface looks oily, try giving the discs a clean before replacing them: I've noticed that either the disc manufacturing process can leave a transparent film on the surface that affects playback, in some instances, or there is an oily residue on the inside of the cases (apparently a mold release compound) that may deposit on the disc surface too and cause issues.

Whilst it could be a faulty batch of discs, I find that if I get playback issues, a clean will sometimes fix it up.

5. Rodster

The pattern im describing looks like an oil pattern on a wet road and its rippled, ive never seen this on DVD / Blu-Ray so I suspect a stamping / burning issue. Will clean the discs and try them when I get home.