• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

H.264 Encoding

ddanckaert

I've been ripping my DVD collection (which I own) for Apple TV (Mac Mini with external drive houses media collection) and I love the way the new version of Handbrake does H.264 encoding--very nice. However, Happily Never After has some form of copy protection on it (discussed elsewhere in this forum). Note that I have XP on this Mini as well using boot camp so I have both OSs on it.

I understand that AnyDVD will remove encryption and I'm probably going to buy it if it will work for what I need it to do. Essentially, I want to copy the DVD to my hard drive so I can then encode it using Handbrake. Will AnyDVD do this? Thanks.

to use the anydvd ripper (which should be able to do this) right click on the anydvd icon and click "rip dvd to harddrisk"

this should make a copy of the dvd on your hard drive. (i dont know if you can access is with boot camp. can the mac side see the windows side's files?)

Worked like a charm

It worked perfectly. I did a straight rip of the DVD on the Windows side (keeping all the annoying intro items) and let Handbrake (current version) do its thing (it keeps just the main movie) and it did a wonderful job.

I actually copied the movie from the winxp partition to the mac partition before I ran Handbrake, but since the mac can see (read only) the WinXP partition, next time, I'm just going to leave it on the XP.

The cool thing about this arrangement is that I can copy a bunch of DVDs and then queue them up on Handbrake and produce them iTunes ready with optimal quality for AppleTV using H.264 encoding.

Bravo. I will buy this application tonight, although since I don't have an HDDVD or BluRay drive, I will just get the DVD version.

It worked perfectly. I did a straight rip of the DVD on the Windows side (keeping all the annoying intro items) and let Handbrake (current version) do its thing (it keeps just the main movie) and it did a wonderful job.

I actually copied the movie from the winxp partition to the mac partition before I ran Handbrake, but since the mac can see (read only) the WinXP partition, next time, I'm just going to leave it on the XP.

The cool thing about this arrangement is that I can copy a bunch of DVDs and then queue them up on Handbrake and produce them iTunes ready with optimal quality for AppleTV using H.264 encoding.

Bravo. I will buy this application tonight, although since I don't have an HDDVD or BluRay drive, I will just get the DVD version.

If you get the HD version you also get the DVD version, so if at some point in the future you may go to HD............

If you get the HD version you also get the DVD version, so if at some point in the future you may go to HD............

can a normal dvd player (standalone or computer) read the dvd part and just not the hd part? or do you need a hddvd player to read either?

can a normal dvd player (standalone or computer) read the dvd part and just not the hd part? or do you need a hddvd player to read either?

AnyDVD and AnyDVD-HD are in the same program. If you buy the AnyDVD license, you only get to use the AnyDVD portion. To use it for HD, you would then have to buy the AnyDVD-HD license. If you buy the AnyDVD-HD license, it works with DVD and HD. To use the HD part of it though you would need to have an HD or BluRay reader or burner.

If you don't think you will ever have an HD or BluRay then just get AnyDVD. If you may, you might save a little money in the future getting the HD version now. Your choice.

oops, i misunderstood. :eek: i thought you were talking about the hddvd or blu ray disks themself. i already knew about anydvd and anydvdhd :doh:

Back