Guide for flashing UHD drives for AnyDVD / Important!!

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Drives' started by coopervid, Oct 24, 2020.

1. coopervid

coopervid Well-Known Member

I just checked the first time. BD-100 discs are 10 Euro each. All players with one exception can only read 66Gb (2 layers). That's a rip-off and therefore out of discussion compared to BD-50 you can get for 2,50 Euros each. Good quality - not no-names.
    Good decision to get this Pioneer drive if you want to continue to use discs (y).

2. kufo

kufo Well-Known Member

I thought so too. :D Glad to hear you are the same opinion. (y)

3. coopervid

Off-topic off. On-topic on :).

Guys. Please refrain from buying LG BH16NS40 drives. Yes, if the service code is NS50 they are UHD-compatible. But there are some sellers that sell old LG BH16NS40 SVC 40. Therefore only buy LG BH16NS55.

In addition a WARNING: LG offers a firmware update for BH16NS40. It's intended to put encryted firmware on the drives with SVC50. However, stupid LG has no checks if it's a SVC40 drive and if you flash this firmware your LG BH16NS40 SVC40 it is bricked. Maybe some cumbersome DOSFLASH might rescue it, but be warned!!!!

whatever_gong82 and kufo like this.
  4. coopervid

Guides in English / German updated and warnings added. Thanks to @DaveO88 for opening the stickies for editing (y).

Aeneas72 and whatever_gong82 like this.
  5. Swiso

Swiso Member

Hello kufo,
    Yes, I posted the two links because they are from two different Pioneer sites... one US and the other EU...
    I thought that the difference between UBK and EBK was solely duento region...UBK for US market and EBK EU market....other than that rhey look similar....
    Why no EBK in US and UBK in EU ?

6. kufo

kufo Well-Known Member

As far as I know you can purchase both versions in EU. I will have a look at this.

Swiso likes this.
  7. Swiso

Swiso Member

8. kufo

kufo Well-Known Member

I found it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B081R5NYJR/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_5IgbGb309X1X9
    It would be no problem to buy this one here.
    If I want to buy such a drive I wouldn't look on the manufactors page. Today global trading is normal and I bet it would be possible for you to purchase an EBK in US too. You only have to look at the right place in the www:)

Swiso likes this.
  9. coopervid

It's called BDR-S12UHT in Europe versus the BDR-212DBK or EBK.

kufo likes this.
  10. kufo

kufo Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter for my purpose anyway. I'm only burning BD-DL but good to know this coopervid (y)
    Thanks for clarification.

11. coopervid

Same here. Like said: Burning TL or QL discs is super-expensive and doesn't make sense anyway.

kufo likes this.
  12. Swiso

Swiso Member

I see....man what a bad habits to change name for the same device...no sense in this..just add more confusion for nothing..
    Thanks !!

kufo likes this.
  13. coopervid

Happened in the past before. The naming of drives sometimes is based on the fact that some drives are sold as so called "bulk drives" w/o software or bundled with software, e.g. some stripped down versions of PowerDVD plus other software by Cyberlink.

Swiso likes this.
  14. kufo

kufo Well-Known Member

That's what I wanted to point out (y)

15. kufo

kufo Well-Known Member

Seems to be only made for confusing customers...

16. coopervid

It was that way even in the old CD burner days.

17. Swiso

Swiso Member

Have you checked if the drive will fit in that enclosure?
    Here what it state OWC:
    Drives Supported
    5.25-inch SATA optical drives — CD, DVD, Blu-ray — up to 6.77 inches (17.2 cm) deep

Pioneer Drive dimensions:
    Dimensions (mm) 148 mm x 181 mm x 42.3mm (W x D x H) (Including Front Bezel)

kufo likes this.
  18. kufo

kufo Well-Known Member

Ah... Intresting :confused: I think my enclosure will be here soon. Let me see if it will fit. Tracking Info says that it is actualy in Belgium... I will give feedback as soon as I have it in my hands.

19. Swiso

Swiso Member

Yes unfortunately...was checking for an enclosure and saw that detail...

20. Swiso

Swiso Member

kufo likes this.