• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

GPU's now available at MSRP says many outlets?!?

DQ

I see many reports/articles lovingly claiming well, GPU's are OK now they are available at MSRP.

BUT

No one seems to mention the MSRPs are very raised off of where they started. Pre 2020 a good mid-range card was what, maybe $500? Now it's easily $1k.

So the prices are still insane, "reporters" are also insane to think the market has become normalized.

I see many reports/articles lovingly claiming well, GPU's are OK now they are available at MSRP.

BUT

No one seems to mention the MSRPs are very raised off of where they started. Pre 2020 a good mid-range card was what, maybe $500? Now it's easily $1k.

So the prices are still insane, "reporters" are also insane to think the market has become normalized.
The card I have was over 2,500€ when it got to Amazon and Newegg. It's 1,750 € now, so the prices are coming down, I got the card from Asus for free, if I didn't I would have no video card since the 1080Ti.

Reactions: DQ
The card I have was over 2,500€ when it got to Amazon and Newegg. It's 1,750 € now, so the prices are coming down, I got the card from Asus for free, if I didn't I would have no video card since the 1080Ti.

I know the prices are coming down, that is obvious. My point really is while they are "at MSRP" they HAVE NOT reached any sort of sane price. All they did was nearly double MSRP's over the last year or 2.

I know the prices are coming down, that is obvious. My point really is while they are "at MSRP" they HAVE NOT reached any sort of sane price. All they did was nearly double MSRP's over the last year or 2.
Yup, when the 3080Ti Strix came out, it was something like 699.99 but no one had it in stock, and I knew I was getting one anyway from Asus. They were never in stock anyplace, then the people that got that first batch put them on eBay for 2,500 give or take a thousand bucks, now that the 4080s and 90s are on the horizon they want to get the most they can for the 3000 series, so they can upgrade to the 4000 series.

Last edited:
Reactions: DQ
Yup, when the 380Ti Strix came out, it was something like 699.99 but no one had it in stock, and I knew I was getting one anyway from Asus. They were never in stock anyplace, then the people that got that first batch put them on eBay for 2,500 give or take a thousand bucks, now that the 4080s and 90s are on the horizon they want to get the most they can for the 3000 series, so they can upgrade to the 4000 series.

I am SUPER curious to see what AMD and Nvidia do with the MSRP's of the their new line of cards to be quite honest.

I am SUPER curious to see what AMD and Nvidia do with the MSRP's of the their new line of cards to be quite honest.
It all depends on how many they can produce at first, if the supply outweighs the demand the price will be MSRP.

It all depends on how many they can produce at first, if the supply outweighs the demand the price will be MSRP.

Right, from retailers. But what will AMD and Nvidia do with their MSRP or suggested prices. Because as I mentioned those nearly doubled AFTER retailers went to town on the prices.

Right, from retailers. But what will AMD and Nvidia do with their MSRP or suggested prices. Because as I mentioned those nearly doubled AFTER retailers went to town on the prices.
I don't think anyone knows, when I did a review on the 3090 they told me the MSRP was 799.99, and after the first batch sold out and no more came for months the people started price gouging them, so NVDA and AMD raised the prices.

I am a cheap SOB along with living on a very small fixed income, so I make due with a couple of nVidia video cards I purchased several years ago. GeForce GT 1030 & GeForce GTX 1060.

Yeah, I know getting better GPU cards would help with newer games and Blu-ray ripping using CloneBD. I get by, well enough for my cheap standards. I don't play the latest and greatest PC video games and I don't mind if ripping a BD takes some time, I don't compress them any more since more often than not CloneBD creates audio sync problems if there are any special features on the disc.

I am a cheap SOB along with living on a very small fixed income, so I make due with a couple of nVidia video cards I purchased several years ago. GeForce GT 1030 & GeForce GTX 1060.

Yeah, I know getting better GPU cards would help with newer games and Blu-ray ripping using CloneBD. I get by, well enough for my cheap standards. I don't play the latest and greatest PC video games and I don't mind if ripping a BD takes some time, I don't compress them any more since more often than not CloneBD creates audio sync problems if there are any special features on the disc.

There are people who need the latest gear at every hardware rev. However, that IS NOT most of us. That's just a waste of money to always have the latest in my opinion. Everyone should skip a gen or 2 between upgrades as I see it unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise.

I know you mentioned a fixed income but I see the wisdom in your frugalness.

I see the wisdom in your frugalness.
I said CHEAP, not frugal. :Þ

The 1030 was purchased specifically because it was the only available card that would fit into my re-purposed previously used PC box, it rather smallish HP case bought from my local used PC parts store. The 1030 cost more than the 1060, about US$25 more. Go figure.

My main ripper machine doesn't even have a GPU video card, onboard motherboard Intel HD graphics and is x86 Win 10.

Currently doing a test rip of my freshly delivered copy of Criterion's "The Hidden Fortress" coincidentally. Even if I don't want to make a backup copy I've learned from experience to always test a new DVD/Bluray for possible problems as soon as I get them so I know the disc is without read errors.

I don't think anyone knows, when I did a review on the 3090 they told me the MSRP was 799.99
I try to spend less that that on an entire custom build PC box. There is no way I could realistically afford paying that much for a video card.

Unless I decided I didn't need to eat or pay bills for several months.

I try to spend less that that on an entire custom build PC box. There is no way I could realistically afford paying that much for a video card.

Unless I decided I didn't need to eat or pay bills for several months.
The GPU I have is an Asus Strix 3080ti and it sold for 2500.00USD, but I didn't pay for it, I got it as a review drive, sometimes you have to return them but I got to keep this so all went well.

The GPU I have is an Asus Strix 3080ti and it sold for 2500.00USD, but I didn't pay for it, I got it as a review drive, sometimes you have to return them but I got to keep this so all went well.
Suh-weet! You are tryin' to make me envious, ain't ya?

Suh-weet! You are tryin' to make me envious, ain't ya?
Not at all bro, but I have been doing this ( building computers for DIY computer companies for many years, the show computers for CES, Computex, and years ago CeBIT in Germany. I have done case design, motherboard design, and other related things for the industry in the past 20 years. I have never been paid but I do get freebies like parts and the computers that I build get sent back to me sometimes with no cost. It all started at a forum I will not mention here in the mid to late 1990s, so I have been at it a while.

Back