• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Generic DivX VBR error

nhwebforge

Hello

I have recently purchased a NAS and Networked DVD/Media Player. I want to transfer some of my favourite DVD's to DivX/XVID to store on the NAS.

I've been using CloneDVDMobile for years now and it really is great, however, when I convert any file to DivX, my new player has problems playing it. Picture is fine, but no sound.

So, I investigated the files CloneDVDMobile was creating. By opening one in VitualDubMod, I immediately get the following error message:

"VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file (audio stream 1). The current preference is to rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 0 ms of skew from the video stream. Etc..."

All I need to do to rectify this is resave the file in VirtualDubMod using Direct Stream Copy (i.e. no new encoding/processing, just a simple resave) which seems to rewrite the header and solve the problem. The file plays perfectly on my Media Player.

So, my questions are:

a) Anyone else had this problem?
b) Anything I can do to fix this? It is a bit of a pain having to additionally process every file I convert.
c) Is there a tag or instruction I could add to the Generic DivX entry in devices.ini to force continuous bit rate (CBR) audio encoding?

Many thanks in advance!

Nick

My apologies. Having already searched and found nothing, I searched again and found this:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=6295&highlight=xvid&page=2

which basically explains the same problem and provides a "real" XviD profile. So, playing with that as a starting point I created the following DivX profile which allows me to force CBR:

[* Generic (DivX) II]
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res3=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
AllowNativeTVResolution=1
Format=avi