• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

General Ripping questions (Technical)

MovieMatt

I am ripping all my DVDs onto hard drives, and have the following questions:

1) What's the difference between AnyDVD's "Rip to hardrive" funcitonality and using CloneDVD to create DVD files on the hard drive? (I've had some failures using the AnyDVD only)?

2) When I rip with the settings to remove everthing but the movie, why do I get 5 or 6 idetically sized (1.2GB) files?

3) If I rip and deselect the 2 channel or the 6 channel, what is the impact when I play back?

Thanks,

- Matt

1. The CloneDVD2 ripper is a better ripper is all.
2. Most rippers break the movie into 1 gig chunks - normal standard.
3. Only the audio tracks you keep selected will be available on your rip - so choose wisely and test if in doubt.

-W

General Ripping Question

Usually the audio AC-3/6 will be the main movie audio and AC-3/2 will be a director's commentary or other extra soundtrack. Deselecting unneeded audio (like ditching the commentaries) will make a *significant* improvement in video quality as audio takes up a *lot* of space (and the more audio you are compressing , the less space there is to compress the video). Here is a link to an excellent and clear, step-by-step general guide on AnyDVD and CloneDVD compiled in 2003, but the "how to" of it is still valid (by the way, the guide would make a great addition to the AnyDVD/CloneDVD main site as initial instructions for those new to the programs if arrangements could be made with the author). Here's the link:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=72022

Back