General Ripping questions (Technical)

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by MovieMatt, Mar 16, 2007.

1. MovieMatt

MovieMatt Member

I am ripping all my DVDs onto hard drives, and have the following questions:

1) What's the difference between AnyDVD's "Rip to hardrive" funcitonality and using CloneDVD to create DVD files on the hard drive? (I've had some failures using the AnyDVD only)?

2) When I rip with the settings to remove everthing but the movie, why do I get 5 or 6 idetically sized (1.2GB) files?

3) If I rip and deselect the 2 channel or the 6 channel, what is the impact when I play back?

Thanks,

- Matt

2. Clams

Clams Well-Known Member

1. The CloneDVD2 ripper is a better ripper is all.
    2. Most rippers break the movie into 1 gig chunks - normal standard.
    3. Only the audio tracks you keep selected will be available on your rip - so choose wisely and test if in doubt.

-W

3. Cycat

Cycat Member

General Ripping Question

Usually the audio AC-3/6 will be the main movie audio and AC-3/2 will be a director's commentary or other extra soundtrack. Deselecting unneeded audio (like ditching the commentaries) will make a *significant* improvement in video quality as audio takes up a *lot* of space (and the more audio you are compressing , the less space there is to compress the video). Here is a link to an excellent and clear, step-by-step general guide on AnyDVD and CloneDVD compiled in 2003, but the "how to" of it is still valid (by the way, the guide would make a great addition to the AnyDVD/CloneDVD main site as initial instructions for those new to the programs if arrangements could be made with the author). Here's the link:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=72022