• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Gears of War

fletcher77

I feel like a noob. I can't even find the exe fill for this game. I am running vista and the only way to run the game is to go to the game explorer. I have also have been having a hard time finding the file on the dvd so I can scan it.

rightclick the icon in game explorer? check properties...

sorry, my mistake...

Scanning -> E:\Gears of War\Startup.exe
File Type : Exe, Size : 2002640 (01E8ED0h) Byte(s)
-> File Appears to be Digitally Signed @ Offset 01E6AC8h, size : 02408h / 09224 byte(s)
-> File has 1440456 (015FAC8h) bytes of appended data starting at offset 089408h
[!] Safedisc 4.81.000 detected !
- Scan Took : 0.640 Seconds

same version as that other troublesome game too....

So does anyone know on how to get Guild of War to work on GJ?

7GB of drive space taken up with the FULL IMAGE profile is just a little too much to swallow.

Any chance of the devs creating a Smart profile map for this game, just like they have done with COD4? (Profile Maps\Call_of_Duty_4_Modern_Warfare_DVD.map)
How do they create those Smart Profile Maps anyway?
It would be great if we could do that ourselves within GJ somehow.

Marzz

Ah good question ;)
I will be posting a "how to" on this soon (having trouble finding the time).

But the long and the short of it is.
The mapping file is a collection of sector required by the game when it starts. This info is collected by GJ and stored in collection file (which is located in the collection directory of the profile map directory). Over time this file will contain all sectors called by the game, and then can be used to create a map file. (keep in mind that it may take many hundreds of game startups to get all sectors).

To create a profile map, the first line must be
10;1;Profile map name here

Then a list of sectors to hit during profiling. Then you need to edit the maplom.xml file (located under the profile map dir) and include the mapping file with the profile. For this game, there is no profile map entry so you need to create one of these also.

Thanx for the info matthew :)
I thought the map was something to do with sectors that needed to be present, but didn’t know how to find out which ones. I tried using the map for COD4 (Re-named and first line edited) and editing the ‘maplom.xml file’ to reflect the new map file. I assumed that because the protection version used was the same as COD4, that maybe it would possibly work but it didn’t lol!! But now you have pointed out where I can find the accessed sectors information, I can have another try. Now I just need to launch the game a couple of hundred times and I’m ready to go :D ................ Unless you know of a quicker way? ;)

Regards, Marzz.

Now I just need to launch the game a couple of hundred times and I’m ready to go ................ Unless you know of a quicker way?

Well not quicker, but easier... any is can be done unattended ;)

1) Get yourself a macro app (I use a product call "Quick Macros 2").
2) Capture the profile in question. Now it is important that this profile does not work. (You can ensure this is the case by using the wrong cd when creating the profile).
3) Change the profile setting so the "auto start" and "auto stop" are unchecked.
4) Remove all cd's etc and activate the profile.
5) Using the macro app, record a macro that starts the game (i.e. by double clicking the game's icon) and then clicks the ok button when the error message appear.
6) Edit the macro to repeat the operation

The following is an example of a macro I use with "Quick Macros 2"
Code:
rep 1000
	dou 39 1077 win("Program Manager" "Progman")
	int w1=wait(33 win("Tiger Woods PGA TOUR(R) 08"))
	lef 354 114 w1
	wait 2
Code details
Line 1: How many to repeat the indented block
Line 2: Double click on the desktop
Line 3: Wait for the error window to appear
Line 4: Click Ok button.
Line 5: Wait 2 seconds.

Hope that helps ;)

Matthew, you’re a diamond! :)

I created a working map file after launching the game 50 times with the 1st non-working profile locked and no DVD in the drive and manually running the game and clicking the 'No disc found' error. (I hadn't read your reply at this point). It didn't take that long because GJ didn't have to go through the Profile creation, but still added the accessed sectors to the collection file.

Then just created an empty map file with the first line as you advised, and copy and pasted the sector no's into the new file and edited the 'maplom_lib.xml' to include the new map file. Job done! and working! :)

Here's a link for those that would like the map file and updated maplom_lib.xml. (Hope this is permitted) I've also included the exported Profile. Use one or the other. You will still need your original disc whichever method you use.

Edit:

Whoops! Looks like I was being a little optomistic with just 50 runs, because tried it this morning and it doesn't work Arghh!!
So...... following your instructions matthew, I have produced a working (I Hope) profile map created using 1000 launches using a macro utility

Updated Link:
Removed - (Sorry Guys, It stopped working :()
See my post down the page.

Regards, Marzz.

Last edited:
Hey ive been reading through alot of forums on how to get this game up and running without the cd and with the newest patch. Is this a solution to this? I have game jackal but im having trouble with getting your profile map to work, it just keeps asking me for the cd.

Do i need to import the profile? When i attempt this, it asks to insert the CD into the drive, but Im mounting the image so it doesnt work. Ive tried creating a profile and using your custom map, and selecting "gears of war" making sure to select the correct locations for startup.exe and working directory of binary to no avail. Ive tried this in image mode also. What exactly did you do to get this working?

@Synide

You will still need your original disc whichever method you use.

Your only importing a profile map, not a full profile.
Game Jackal still needs to profile your original DVD. So put it in your drive and away you go. :D

Marzz

37 meg? wow that's an obscene amount of data for a disc-check! There must be some file (or files) that it reads from disc (or MS is just really poopin' paranoid about copy protection!).

Just DL'd your map, going to give it a shot, and hopefully I'll quit having to swap out that $50 bad-boy GoW, and it can sit safe in the bookshelf with the rest of them :)

EDIT: DOH, no dice. But now that I know how to create the profile map and catch all those troublesome sectors, I think I'll give this a try. It could be region/version differences keeping it from working (and aside from that I've got a handful of older, non-profiled games that I'd love to do too)

Last edited:
God! MS must have some custom checking going along with Safedisk on this. The damn thing has stopped working again!!

Looking at the collection files I did yesterday and the 1000 launch one I did this morning, none of the sectors match. I think there is some completely random sector checking going on here. I could try adding another 1000 launch sector checks, but I think I'm going to be wasting my time.

Sorry Guy's and Gal's, but it's looking like the only answer for this particular title is going to be the Full Image mode. Better clear 7GB of space again :(

I tried!

regards, Marzz.

Back