• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

G1 HTC Smartphone - Converting Videos To Play On It

sanfrancisco

I thought I saw a thread talking about the G1 HTC Google phone and what settings to use to convert DVDs to play on the G1.

I took a few hours trying them all, converting with various preset formats in the Clone Mobile menu, transferring to the G1, then seeing if they would play.

What works is the preset for the Zune, but only at certain resolutions, otherwise the videos won't open on the G1. You will get a "won't play" error message.

One reason the Zune setting works is because it converts DVD raw VOB files into MP4 (mpeg 4), which I also think is H264.

In Clone DVD Mobile format selection menu go to:

Category: <Microsoft>

Setting: <Zune [MP4]>

Resolution:<320x180> or <428x240>

Quality setting does not matter (except high quality might be over 1 GB so take that into consideration. I set it usually at 500 MB on a two hour movie. But I have set it to 250 MB and they still look good on the G1. Sometimes certain movies can look pixelated at the low quality setting so to avoid that I always set quality to 500 MB.)

Here is a converted DVD sample, just a few minutes to you can see if your G1 is working properly.

http://www.bullpooper.com/G1HTCZuneTest428x240.mp4 It is at the 428 x 240 quality setting.

Hope that helps for the G1 HTC Google Android phone owners.

Last edited:
Another test conversion for the G1

Here is another converted DVD - a 40MB download. The first few minutes of Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space.

There is nothing wrong with your G1, the movie is in black & white.

This is in the lower resolution so you can see if there is any detectable difference between it and the higher one, 480 x 240.

http://www.bullpooper.com/G1HTCZunetest300MBQual320x240Res.mp4

Maybe someday we'll get the g-1 added as a device

Hey thanks for posting this. I had been using the Apple settings which used to work but seem to no longer function- I get audio but no video on playback. I wasted a lot of time thinking perhaps it was the phone itself, do a master reset, calling tech support, etc. I'll try the Zune and see if it works. With all the HTC products out there you would think by now SS would have added a category for the G-1 and My Touch, etc.

Maybe someday we'll get the G-1 added as a device. There certainly are enough other obscure (and perhaps somewhat outdated) models to choose from.

Back