• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Future of GJ?

The Higher Bid

With all troubles that had been storming SlySoft, would GameJackal be included in the resurrection effort under RedFox? What about the rest of programs portfoolio?

GameJackal was dead as a doornail already well before Slysoft shut down.

I honestly have zero idea what's going on with GameJackal but I will note that as someone who used the software I have used it less and less to the point of being unable to remember when I last did. Why? Because of Steam and Origin. Personally, I want to buy my games on physical media. Always. I detest digital distribution be it music, movies, or games. Sadly, however, there are games being sold that never actually get released on disc and more that might come on a disc but still require Steam. In short, game distribution has moved away from disc media. Steam doesn't require the disc in a drive. So, GameJackal isn't needed.

I'm in no way downplaying the value of the software and how awesome it is. The gaming industry has just moved on from physical media checks.

The last Release 5.2.0.0 from Oct 29, 2013
last posting by matthew, Nov 11, 2013
matthew was last seen: Dec 10, 2014
And so many zero reply threads in the forum.

Definitely dead ...but of course still offering a multiple year license model and selling LTL til the end ;)

The last Release 5.2.0.0 from Oct 29, 2013
last posting by matthew, Nov 11, 2013
matthew was last seen: Dec 10, 2014
And so many zero reply threads in the forum.

Definitely dead ...but of course still offering a multiple year license model and selling LTL til the end ;)

Hahaha, good point. Thank you for the info.

I would love to see it updated to support at least the latest (although not greatest) version of Windows. I suppose more people who had purchased a license would like to see that minimum support.

I would love to see it updated to support at least the latest (although not greatest) version of Windows. I suppose more people who had purchased a license would like to see that minimum support.
The previous release, v4, works just fine for me on my Win10 game box.

Granted I only use GJ for one game, but it works flawlessly even now.

Matthew, I hope you have moved on to bigger and better things.

Last edited:
I see it is now official, GJ is no more, it has reached "End of Life."

Hail and Farewell, GJ, you did well.

GJ simply became obsolete. No fault of Slysoft or Matthew. The gaming industry simply shifted stategies and moved away from physical media distribution and therefore disc-based protections also vanished. If you even are able to purchase some bigger new game releases on disc these days they end up requiring Steam and using what Steam offers for protection mechanism(s).

The end of disc-based game protections is both good and bad. It definitely is nice not needing to always insert the disc but now you have to have an internet connection. And technology marches on.

I wasn't saying it was the fault of Slysoft/RedFox or Matthew, I was just commenting on seeing the end of what for its time was some excellent software. I still use GJ for two games I play, older titles that use CD/DVD based protections.

The other games I do play are Steam-based, the DRM has certainly been done in a different fashion.

I wasn't saying it was the fault of Slysoft/RedFox or Matthew, I was just commenting on seeing the end of what for its time was some excellent software. I still use GJ for two games I play, older titles that use CD/DVD based protections.

The other games I do play are Steam-based, the DRM has certainly been done in a different fashion.

I wasn't aiming my reply at you, FurryGuy. :) I would have quoted you if I was. :) I was merely making a general statement/observation.

With respect to older games, I commented on that in the thread about the new RedFox website going online. I refuse to rebuy a game I own on disc from Steam unless it's dirt cheap while on sale during one of Steam's big annual holiday sales. IOW it's less than $5. I still use GJ for some older games but since I moved to Windows 10 I haven't played any of those older games so it hasn't been installed on this system yet.

Between Steam, Origin, Ubisoft's protection platform, etc, we just don't need to deal with discs anymore with most games. Unfortunately, of all the systems I have run across Ubisoft has got to be the most ridiculous and I personally refuse to purchase any Ubisoft games. The system is awful and the company's stance and public statements about it are ludicrous.

Back