Format War?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bjproc, Jan 7, 2008.

1. bjproc

bjproc Well-Known Member

2. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

James said himself that HD-DVD needs a miracle to survive now.

3. bjproc

bjproc Well-Known Member

cheers Charlie, i've not been on for a while

4. Charlie

5. bjproc

bjproc Well-Known Member

thats where i've just been :D

6. tebugg

tebugg Beta Tester

here goes sumthin i recently found that makes it even worse for HD DVD......

Following Warner's lead, sister company New Line has confirmed that it will support Blu-ray Disc high def releases exclusively. New Line has previously delayed their day-and-date new releases on HD DVD due to the format's lack of region coding, effectively making titles such as Shoot 'em Up, Hairspray, and Rush Hour 3 exclusive to Blu-ray. Although a 2008 release slate for the studio has not been released, an announcement may be possible at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

7. Charlie

Yes and my thoughts are that there is only one way to go now and that's Blu.

8. jvc

jvc Well-Known Member

I personally would like to see both formats stay around, from here on.
    Competition helps to keep prices down!
    I'd love to have the new Samsung player, that plays both............. :)

9. mike20021969

mike20021969 Well-Known Member

10. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 Well-Known Member

The last thing consumers need is to be stuck with Blu-Ray, and locked to that format alone.

11. Charlie

Not to worry there still is SD's. :D So you're not locked.

12. roachgod

roachgod Active Member

What counts for me is: Can it be copied?
    I am not interested in a disc format that cannot be played everywhere (region encoding) or copied. What's so cool about a disc format that is being castrated by the companies? What's so cool about a format that suits the companies' needs and not MY needs?
    It appears to me that I live in a world of happy slaves (yeah, the biggest oppressor wins, let's all join him!).

13. plato

plato Well-Known Member

R.I.P. HD-DVD :(

But the worst thing is that BD+ has not been cracked until now and I consider it doubtful that it will happen in the next time.
    Nevertheless I am waiting with bated breath until James will scream "Eureka!" and BD+ is no longer a problem! :D