• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Forensic Watermarking

venomone

Hey folks,

maybe this is a bit off-topic, but I'm pretty sure that some people here are interested into this.
Recently, the DRM industry introduced a technology called "Forensic Watermarking". I don't want to say that it's a new technology, but it now gets more and more available to a wider range of people/companies.

First, what is Forensic Watermarking?

--> Forensic Watermarking is a technology that in most cases enables content distributors or creators to insert a payload into the video information itself, this payload can either be visible or invisible and is robust against re-encoding of the content. The problem here is that the payload gets inserted upon content delivery and is individually transcoded (on the fly) for a specific user content-delivery output request on server-side. Meaning, there is no way around, that information about your Identity is part of the content you grabbed from a "source".

Why do I actually care?

Well it's not my intention to make content creators impoverished because people are redistributing their content, but I also don't like to get monitored in any possible way by the industry, it simply sucks and to me this is also one of many reasons why a tool like anystream exists.

The actual Question:

So my question now is, can I remove or alter cryptographic information embedded in the image of a video? Can I maybe add new information to the video to distort the original added payload of the distributor?! In the end, I would at least expect that such an attack might work.

Final thoughts:

In the end, I don't really understand the concept of the industry here. I could simply get a Netflix account either by using a Gift card or a shared account, there are many sites to get a shared account so why have something like a watermark to even more trace potential offenders of "the system" xD it's just such a nonsense story ...

The purpose of the watermark is to prevent piracy. AS is intended to be used for private use only. If you aren't sharing the files you download, the watermark is irrelevant.

Sure, I'm on your side, as already been sad at my original message, but I still don't like the motorization anyway ;)

I just downloaded 3 times the same object ...

First thing I noticed is that the file size is the same. So we are talking bits, not bytes here.
The second thing I noticed is CRC32,CRC64,SHA256,SHA1 and also BLAKE2sp all showed me different checksums, so the 3 files must differ in some way.
Now, I have a question to the programmers of anystream: Do you guys always expect to generate exactly the same output from each segment fetched from a m3u8 playlist or
do you also assume that the difference between the 3 files according to the checksum is because of a embedded watermark payload?

Would be happy to read your thoughts onto this.

I was thinking, would running the files through HandBrake loose that information? I mean it's being transcoded and written as a new file. Just curious as well.

This has been discussed quite a few times on here now. The cryptographic info is invisible on screen. It's hidden inside the actual videostram meta data, no type of encoding can get rid of it. It will always survive encoding, and it's exactly how those big boxing fight promoters are capable of tracking individual streamers/uploaders and prosecuting them.

As stated, as long as you download and use in your private home environment, even if your grab a steam embedded with such info, you have nothing to worry about

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Sure, I'm on your side, as already been sad at my original message, but I still don't like the motorization anyway ;)

I just downloaded 3 times the same object ...

First thing I noticed is that the file size is the same. So we are talking bits, not bytes here.
The second thing I noticed is CRC32,CRC64,SHA256,SHA1 and also BLAKE2sp all showed me different checksums, so the 3 files must differ in some way.
Now, I have a question to the programmers of anystream: Do you guys always expect to generate exactly the same output from each segment fetched from a m3u8 playlist or
do you also assume that the difference between the 3 files according to the checksum is because of a embedded watermark payload?

Would be happy to read your thoughts onto this.

Just a heads up... downloading the same thing will always result in different CDC32, even if the contents of the .mp4 are the same. If you wanted to look into this you would need to download the same thing on two separate accounts and extract the video file, audio file and subs from the container (.mp3). You would them compare these files between each other and they would only change if they are being altered on the fly.

You're right, except about the MP3 part, almost no provider uses that directly, and if you reencode it may also be non-deterministic and result in different hashes. But you can use ffmpeg with -c copy (or mux to MKV and then use mkvextract) to extract raw files .h264, .aac/.ac3/.ec3, and compare hashes of those.

In my experience, pretty much none of the streaming providers employ such watermarking techniques yet. It's more common for film festivals/screeners.

Back