• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Forced Subtitles Beginner (Handbrake)

TheLlamaMaster

Hello All,

I finally decided to break down and join the forum. This is just something I could not fully figure out on my own. There have been a few movies, most of which I cannot remember that I have backed up prior to throwing in a tote in storage that have a few minor parts where they are not speaking english and subtitles don't show up. Well I just found a deal and bought Monuments Men and Jack Ryan shadow recruit. Girlfriend insisted we have a movie night but I hate dealing with discs so I've already tried to burn them off. Both of them have non English parts of the movie.

Here is what I have experienced thus far and the questions I have for you all. By the way I am using handbrake 6227 Nightly Build to encode.

1)What is the difference between "burn in" and "default check boxes"? Has me curious since both cannot be selected, multiple PGS tracks can be added but only 1 can be checked for Burn in and one checked for Default.

2)On Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit there are 2 subtitle English PGS tracks, but both appear the same. Regardeless of which is selected and whether it is checked with burn in or default (tested both) However on Monuments Men there are multiple PGS tracks and when I tried with the first English track it did not work, the second listed PGS track worked when Forced and Burn in were selected.

What are the differences in all the subtitle PGS tracks? (general sense not any specific movie)

3) Given that some movies have multiple English PGS tracks, and obviously it is uncertain weather it is actually uses forced flags or perhaps is a track seperated entirely for only specific parts of the movie. Given the variables has anyone ever attempted just adding ALL the English PGS tracks and flagged them all as forced?

Thanks All!!!!

Hello All,

I finally decided to break down and join the forum. This is just something I could not fully figure out on my own. There have been a few movies, most of which I cannot remember that I have backed up prior to throwing in a tote in storage that have a few minor parts where they are not speaking english and subtitles don't show up. Well I just found a deal and bought Monuments Men and Jack Ryan shadow recruit. Girlfriend insisted we have a movie night but I hate dealing with discs so I've already tried to burn them off. Both of them have non English parts of the movie.

Here is what I have experienced thus far and the questions I have for you all. By the way I am using handbrake 6227 Nightly Build to encode.

1)What is the difference between "burn in" and "default check boxes"? Has me curious since both cannot be selected, multiple PGS tracks can be added but only 1 can be checked for Burn in and one checked for Default.

2)On Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit there are 2 subtitle English PGS tracks, but both appear the same. Regardeless of which is selected and whether it is checked with burn in or default (tested both) However on Monuments Men there are multiple PGS tracks and when I tried with the first English track it did not work, the second listed PGS track worked when Forced and Burn in were selected.

What are the differences in all the subtitle PGS tracks? (general sense not any specific movie)

3) Given that some movies have multiple English PGS tracks, and obviously it is uncertain weather it is actually uses forced flags or perhaps is a track seperated entirely for only specific parts of the movie. Given the variables has anyone ever attempted just adding ALL the English PGS tracks and flagged them all as forced?

Thanks All!!!!

What does this have to do with Anydvd?

You should direct questions regarding HandBrake to the experts here:
https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewforum.php?f=11

I like your signature and for me sadly it's very true. I don't think I ever use the originals except to take up space in boxes lol.

I suppose the questions pertaining to ANYDVD are more linked with how the subtitle tracks are ripped from the track and if there is any way to identify the type of track in respect to the forced foreign subtitles. It should not matter what encoding program is used if I can understand how they are actually being extracted and the types.

I know the log files can display a great deal of information but I am unsure if there is any way to ascertain the nature of a PGS file from the log files or anything in regards to the ripping process. I am not necessarily trying to understand and program in particular but rather how a disc sees the files and if there is any way to identify them beyond trial and error.

@ TheLlamaMaster; RE:What is the difference between "burn in" and "default check boxes"?

The "Burn In" setting will let you take one of the SUBS and will burn it on to the video. It is not selected or turned on, it is physically made a part of the picture and therefore can't be turned on or off. The "default" setting is if you have a "Region" A disk it assumes that you are an English speaker and if you play a disk that needs subtitles it will know to play the "English" track instead of any other language, like Spanish. You can make any language the default but in my experience sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't because of how the disk is authored and how the player interprets it. I have had a lot of luck using BD_Rebuilder and when making "Movie Only" backups it almost always will find and turn-on the "Forced" subtitles that you are finding hard to enable. BD Rebuilder is not "Burning In" those subtitles but is making them display as the "Default", and they can be turned off. Once in a while BD Rebuilder will come across a disk that the "Forced" subs will not show up and in those instances I resort to a free program called Clown BD, it has quite a following and is supported only by donations. It is even easier to use than Handbrake and it has great success with the disks like the last one's I had problems with (Jack Ryan & Captain Phillips). Clown BD does not decrypt and also does not compress the file size. It runs really quickly since it is only extracting the files and copying them to another location after you decide what to keep as far as audio and subtitles. It will only make a "Movie Only" Blue-ray disk backup and it has an option to find and extract "Forced" subtitles and turn them on. It has never failed to pickup on these and you can look in it's working output folder for the logs and see if there was any forced ones that it extracted into a separate subtitle track. You can then use this "Disk" to feed to BD Rebuilder or to Handbrake to process and these programs will then have the subtitles to work with. The option to "Burn In" the subs makes these show up in any playback method, even the streaming ones like WD TV that have a hard time with selectable "Soft" subs.
Hope this helps, even though like tgp7777777 points out, this is not really a AnyDVD problem. worknstiff

Last edited:
Worknstiff - thanks for the input. I was trying to figure out if there was any way to tell any of this based on ripping the actual disc and I think that's where my mind was at with the AnyDVD portion. It appears it's just a lot of one off situations I will have to play with a few different tools to figure it out. I appreciate the feedback though thank you very much.

Back