• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Flawless 1080p BD Playback with VLC Player??

Folks, what are you all talking about?
1.) Install AnyDVD
2.) Install VLC
3.) Install matching Java (32 bit for 32 bit VLC, 64 bit for 64 bit VLC)

Play Blu-ray disc and be happy.

In case anyone forgot: AnyDVD is a real-time decrypter. It extends the OS to remvove all protections.
If AnyDVD is running, all protections like AACS, BD+, Blu-lock, ScreenPass, ... are removed and simply not present in the view of the filesystem, the OS, any 3rd party application, copy program, player program like VLC, JRiver, ....

Folks, what are you all talking about?
1.) Install AnyDVD
2.) Install VLC
3.) Install matching Java (32 bit for 32 bit VLC, 64 bit for 64 bit VLC)

Play Blu-ray disc and be happy.
OP knows about AnyDVD and we told him about the trial. Not sure if he wants to buy it or not, but right now it appears that he wants to try or to figure out the aacs approach first.

OP knows about AnyDVD and we told him about the trial. Not sure if he wants to buy it or not, but right now it appears that he wants to try or to figure out the aacs approach first.
IMHO a waste of time. I don't think AACS keys available to the public are... "fresh". And does it work with new authentication? Bus encryption? I doubt it.

IMHO a waste of time. I don't think AACS keys available to the public are... "fresh". And does it work with new authentication? Bus encryption? I doubt it.
That is true, but if you only want to play the two discs you own, it might be enough.

The public AACS key database includes tens of thousands of VUKs (ranging from MKBv1 to MKBv78), as well as hundreds of UHD unit keys. The publicly available host certificates and device/processing keys support up to and including MKBv71. The libaacs package does support bus encryption. I occasionally use it with an Asus BW-16D1HT and it works well for VLC playback of all 1080p Blu-rays, as well as the UHD Blu-ray titles with known unit keys.

The public AACS key database includes tens of thousands of VUKs (ranging from MKBv1 to MKBv78), as well as hundreds of UHD unit keys. The publicly available host certificates and device/processing keys support up to and including MKBv71. The libaacs package does support bus encryption. I occasionally use it with an Asus BW-16D1HT and it works well for VLC playback of all 1080p Blu-rays, as well as the UHD Blu-ray titles with known unit keys.
Thanks, good to know.

I see your issue. Windows wants to create a subfolder with the same name, so just remove the keydb_eng part from the path there: C:\ProgramData\aacs\

Before that, make sure to delete everything from the aacs folder (except the original zip of course), so, after extracting, you only end up with the keydb.cfg there.

If that is the case, you can delete the .zip as well (or move it somewhere else, if you don't want to delete it before you know that it works). Then start VLC and try if it can now play the disc.
I did all of this but still won't play; BD movie "Duel in the Sun" (1946).

Can you post a screenhot of both the aacs folder and the VLC folder, but there scroll that far that the libaacs.dll is visible.
Also, please tell exactly what you do.
-Inserting disc
-Opening...

That is true, but if you only want to play the two discs you own, it might be enough.
As you can see I have way more than two 1080p BD movies; at least 50.

Thanks to all for being patient and trying hard to help but I guess I will have to admit defeat, though I can't understand why a good number of VLC users apparently have no problem playing BD movies.

One strange thing that happened was just now after I tried and failed to get this last BD movie to play. Suddenly, a Windows Defender message said that it blocked some features of VLC player; but then it said that the app was blocked then unblocked. I couldn't get back here so I clicked Allow. Also, while searching earlier at other forums to learn how to make it BD movie compatible, I found an article saying that VLC was being blocked by some nations like India for security reasons (??).

Anyway, I guess we've all spent enough time on this, so the AnyDVD HD trial seems like the only game in town.

Suddenly, a Windows Defender message said that it blocked some features of VLC player; but then it said that the app was blocked then unblocked.
That's why I have this crap disabled. It always blocks things it isn't supposed to. In this case it is probably the libaacs.dll. Not sure why it should block this, since I (the user) copied it in there. So I want it to be there. Yes, the Defender can warn me if it thinks that it is malware or something, but not block or even delete files without asking. That makes the Defender a malware.

that VLC was being blocked by some nations like India for security reasons
Yes, I also heard of it.
This arcticle says
According to some cybersecurity experts, the Chinese hacker group named Cicada used VLC to deliver malware. According to cyber-security researchers at Symantec, the Cicada victims are found in India, the US, Canada, Israel, Hong Kong and several other countries. The researchers at Symantec found that the China-based attackers used VLC Media Player to install malware on compromised devices. The attack is claimed to be backed by the Chinese government.

Can you post a screenhot of both the aacs folder and the VLC folder, but there scroll that far that the libaacs.dll is visible.

Also, please tell exactly what you do. -Inserting disc -Opening...
I just hit eject, and the put the BD on the tray, hit close and VLC usually tries on its own to play it, but fails and gives errors. Again, I have no idea where those log files it says to check are, assuming it will help much to read them.

Sorry, can't upload the screenshots. Website said it won't accept Wordpad extensions. But I can tell you that axvlc.dll, libaacs.dll, libvlc.dll, libvlccore.dll and npvlc.dll are in the VLC folder.

Last edited:
and VLC usually tries on its own to play it
Check if the libaacs.dll still exist or if Defender removed it. If yes, replace it.
Then open VLC manually and use the window where you can choose between DVD and BD from my screenshot earlier. I never use autoplay, it is just annoying.

Again, I have no idea where those log files it says to check are
Neither me, the only thing that matters is if the files are there. If so and it doesn't work afterwards, there is nothing we can do, without being a dev.

can't upload the screenshots. Website said it won't accept Wordpad extensions.
What are you talking about? A screenshot is a picture, png, jpg etc. Nothing with wordpad. And everyone can upload these here. Wordpad is a text editor.

I can't understand why a good number of VLC users apparently have no problem playing BD movies
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say some of your discs aren't currently supported by the keydb, you aren't using the correct option for Blu-ray playback in VLC or you put the keydb/AACS files in the wrong directory. It has been a while since I setup VLC for protected Blu-ray playback but I found the instructions sufficiently clear for Windows, Linux, and macOS.

Edit: Some other possibilities are a mismatch due to pairing the 32-bit AACS libs with 64-bit VLC (or vice versa) or failing to copy the libgcrypt-20.dll and libgpg-error6-0.dll files (both of which are dependencies of libaacs.dll) to the VLC directory

I just hit eject, and the put the BD on the tray, hit close and VLC usually tries on its own to play it, but fails and gives errors
VLC might be trying to play the disc as if it were a DVD? You can access the VLC log via 'Tools' along the top menu, and then selecting 'Messages'. Increasing the verbosity might be useful. These logs can be posted as text.

Last edited:
VLC might be trying to play the disc as if it were a DVD?
Most probably, since DVD is the first and default option in that window. But he once posted this:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:\'.
So if it is not the same issue, then the files where not correct at that moment I suppose.

So if it is not the same issue, then the files where not correct at that moment I suppose.
That is a possibility. I feel like the keydb/libaacs instructions might benefit from a few screenshots or an instructional video for less technical users. Either way, this whole thread is basically an advertisement for the ease of use provided by AnyDVD...

Check if the libaacs.dll still exist or if Defender removed it. If yes, replace it. Then open VLC manually and use the window where you can choose between DVD and BD from my screenshot earlier. I never use autoplay, it is just annoying. All of those .dll files are there. No, even selecting BD in that window it won't play: Blu-ray error: Missing AACS configuration file!

Your input can't be opened: VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:\'. Check the log for details.

What are you talking about? A screenshot is a picture, png, jpg etc. Nothing with wordpad. And everyone can upload these here. Wordpad is a text editor.
I tried to paste it to a wordpad file and save there because I don't MS Word and I don't know how to save the screenshot to anything else. But it doesn't matter since all of the .dlls are there.

I tried to paste it to a wordpad file and save there because I don't MS Word and I don't know how to save the screenshot to anything else. But it doesn't matter since all of the .dlls are there.
This won't work. You save it as a document, not the picture itself. If you want to use Wordpad, try to rightclick on the picture. Maybe you will get the option to save it.
Or use paint and paste it in there, then save. Make sure the fileextention is corret, something like jpg, png etc.

That is a possibility. I feel like the keydb/libaacs instructions might benefit from a few screenshots or an instructional video for less technical users. Either way, this whole thread is basically an advertisement for the ease of use provided by AnyDVD...
But I followed DeepSpace's instructions step by step. That keydb config file was placed in the aacs folder that I was told to create in the Power Data folder, and I extracted it there. And I just now again loaded that last BD and selected BD from that window. Still no BD play and same errors. But yes, a big waste of time.

Back