FixVTS

Discussion in 'Third Party Products' started by DetroitBaseball, Aug 5, 2007.

1. DetroitBaseball

DetroitBaseball Well-Known Member

Did they stop developing FixVTS? There hasn't been any updates in about 7 months.

2. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

3. DetroitBaseball

Sad news. Why would someone want to shut down FixVTS? It doesn't remove protection. Additionally, FixVTS is legal.

4. Charlie

Charlie Well-Known Member

I think because it was in use with ripit4me? Not sure on this though.

5. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

I think you can safely surmise that Ripit4me was the culprit here, although I cannot say that with a complete certainty either.;)

6. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

Well, no one will ever really know and jeanl only made one comment on the matter that I came across. I think that, in itself, says enough.

RipIt4Me made use of FixVTS, the old AnyDVD ripper used older FixVTS code. Some people even ran DVDs they ripped with CloneDVD through FixVTS to insure compliancy. If the studios were intentionally making the discs not compliant then, IMHO, of course they'd want FixVTS killed even if it doesn't break any laws. Because it was [or could be] used on conjunction with well-known products it definitely had to have drawn attention.

Of course, I'm only theorizing.

7. DetroitBaseball

If I was the developer of FixVTS, and I was told to shutdown when it wasn't illegal, I wouldn't kiss their ass.

8. linx05

linx05 Well-Known Member

Well the source code is still out there for anybody to pick up.

By the way, go through the Doom9 news archives on the front page to read about who took down RipIt4Me and co and what happened to the people.

9. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Retired Moderator

Oh you might be surprised at what you'd do. Ask the people that were put in that position. You can see by their actions what course of action is likely to be taken. The problem is, whether it's legal or not, you'd have to fight it in a court of law depending on where you live. Mega corporation vs individual doesn't usually bode well for the individual who isn't independently wealthy. And if you stopped to really THINK ABOUT IT, you'd come to a possible conclusion as to why both programs were stopped. But let's not get into conjecture in this thread. It's gone and unless someone picks up development(unlikely) it's going to remain gone. Fortunately Slysoft is still around.

10. Rich86

Rich86 Well-Known Member

RipIt4Me & FixVTS

and both of these programs still work great.

11. DetroitBaseball

Slysoft should be around forever since they are in Antigua.

12. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Retired Moderator

One would hope.