• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[fixed] crash to desktop when opening disc

el Filou

Edit: fixed after a Windows reboot. Very weird...

Hello.

When trying to open Baby Driver UHD, CloneBD 1.2.4.0 (trial version) just crashes to the desktop without any error message when I click the button to open the physical disc (it recognised the title and downloaded the cover picture before that).
clonebd.exe stays in memory for a while and if I open it again right away it says "disc in use by another instance of CloneBD", but after a while the stuck process dies by itself.
The disc is successfully decrypted by AnyDVD and if I open the .bdmv with MPC-HC 1.8.4 it plays fine.

I tried:
- enabling "Always read via file system" but it doesn't change anything, just takes more time reading when I press the button before it crashes
- enabling "Show debug log", but the debug window disappears along with the CloneBD GUI
- (Edit) opening CloneBD with admin rights, doesn't change anything

Any idea what could be going wrong? Is there a way to output a debug log to a file somewhere?

Thanks and happy new year to everyone.

Last edited:
Happy new year for you too!
You can try to make an image of your disc and then open this unprotected image in CloneBD. This always works fine for me :)
Reading from disc, makes your drive stop or read slowly in some files. Reading from HDD is smoother, I think.

I will try that, but to be honest I don't get how reading directly from the disc rather than from a .ISO on a HDD would make CloneBD just crash with no explanation, slow as it may be.
The disc CloneBD is accessing is already unprotected as AnyDVD has done its magic.

You are missing one thing: AnyDVD is working on the fly. If you are reading the disc, there are two things to be done. Reading the file and encrypting the disc at the same time, can make CloneBD crash. It's also a difference, reading file structure, or readjng an ISO. Depending on xour Hardware. A dying drive, or a slow cgraphic card could also make issues. Look how reading from ISO works :)

A graphics card, whether it's show or super fast has ZERO impact on decryption. There's only 2 things that affect it. 1) the data transfer speed of the drive and 2) the write speed of the hard drive (in case you rip to HDD). A graphics card only comes into play when you start the cloning process with clonebd.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 6P met Tapatalk

@kufo Sorry, I am not buying this, it just doesn't make sense technically.
I've been using AnyDVD HD with Blu-rays for 10 years now always reading directly from discs, and I've never had any player or other software crash on me or even slow down slower than real-time because of the reading speed. AnyDVD is designed for this and is good at its job. If you can play a Blu-ray disc directly with an official player like PowerDVD, you can play it with AnyDVD decrypting it on-the-fly just the same way, it's doing the same thing.
And no, reading directly from an optical disc is just like reading from a .ISO, as .ISO is an image of a disc.

Anyway, even if reading speed was slower than real-time, there is no reason for software to crash to desktop like this.

@el Filou You needn´t do that :cool: You asked for advice and I told you what you can try.
And no, reading directly from an optical disc is just like reading from a .ISO, as .ISO is an image of a disc.
I did this disc like many other users and MINE works fine;)
I also have 10 years of experience with Blu Ray and this experience has shown me that it is better and more practical to first copy to HDD.

@el Filou any time a user application crashes, there should be some form of dump for be created. See if you can locate it, and post it here. That will be a start. It's not the first time this happens and if I remember right, the always was something 'odd' about the disc question that caused anydvd me CloneBD to crash.

Sent from my Nexus 7 with Tapatalk

A graphics card, whether it's show or super fast has ZERO impact on decryption
That's right. (y) I should have said that more precisely.
I had thought further, because he certainly wants to do something with the film - otherwise he would not use CloneBD.
Reading UHD requires different capabilities of the drive than reading from normal Blu-Ray.

I had CloneBD crashes only if there were reading errors with discs. AnyDVD will try as good as it can to rip the files or write to ISO and will do so even if there are reading errors that can't be corrected. Therefore CloneBD crashed when trying to work on these files or ISOs. I assume this is also the reason in your case.

Well, waddaya know :confused: I had followed Ch3vr0n's advise and taken a process dump of clonebd.exe (it was not crashing with Windows showing an error like a common application crash, just the GUI disappearing and then the process would vanish) and before uploading it I tried to reboot the computer and now it works fine.
This is all very spooky, should've tried the old "turn it off and on again", but it's the first time in ages I see something like this really (I hadn't installed any Windows updates nor any other software update since the last reboot if that matters).

Thanks for all the advice anyway, I'm glad it's not something to do with my disc.

Have you monitored the rip process of that disc? Were there any issues? If yes, CloneBD will crash if there is not a perfect copy of the original disc. AnyDVD will finish even with read errors but CloneBD can't handle these rips with errors.

Yes, it works after rebooting Windows now, I don't understand what was happening, this is definitely a strange way for a program to crash that I've only ever seen happen with 3D games. Does CloneBD's GUI use Direct3D?

Yes, disc ripped just fine by CloneBD now, I was sure it wasn't read errors, read errors manifest themselves in more obvious ways. (it played just fine directly from the disc with MPC-HC too so I knew it was an application issue with CloneBD)

Well, waddaya know :confused: I had followed Ch3vr0n's advise and taken a process dump of clonebd.exe (it was not crashing with Windows showing an error like a common application crash, just the GUI disappearing and then the process would vanish) and before uploading it I tried to reboot the computer and now it works fine.
This is all very spooky, should've tried the old "turn it off and on again", but it's the first time in ages I see something like this really (I hadn't installed any Windows updates nor any other software update since the last reboot if that matters).
Maybe memory fragmentation?

Back