• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

First time Blue Ray burn attempt - error - copy bdmt-eng-xml failed

jdemaris

Just starting to switch over from DVD to Blue Ray. Trying to find a way to burn copies of some Blue Rays. For years, I've been using DVD Fab for DVDs with no issues.

I just got started on this. I've got DVD Fab burning software for Blue Ray and AnyDVD HD decryption software. Note that I only have the "free" 30 day trial version of AnyDVD HD. I'm going to buy it once I'm convinced it works.

I've only got one Blue Ray factory-made disc to try. Title is "Goodbye World." Boring movie yes, but that should not effect ability to copy it, right? It's a one-star movie released in June, 2013. Computer is an old HP XW4100 Workstation with Windows XP Pro, with service pack 3.

Put the disc in the drive. AnyDVD HD pops up and does its work on it. DVD Fab starts the process but somewhere along the way - all stops and I get the error message "copy bdmt-eng-xml failed."

Anybody have an idea what the problem might be?

Well since your using dvdcrap to do the copying, you need to post on dvdcrap forums. Anydvd does not give errors like 'copy bdmt-eng-xml failed'

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Blue Ray burning is new to me so there's a learning curve involved here. I never heard of AnyDVD HD until yesterday. I sent to seek out products and/or info when I need it, and usually not before.

In my case, since I'd been using DVD Fab for years with great success -I figured the logical step was try it for Blue Ray also. I had no idea that the DVD Blue Ray burner did not offer decryption like it's DVD version does. I only found THAT out after paying for it and trying it. So that led me to a search of potential decryption products, and the result of that led me to AnyDVD HD. I want to buy it IF it works and do not if if does not. They offer a 30 day trial version and make it clear there are NO refunds once I buy. So OK - I'm trying it. If I find out that for some reason - DVD Fab is the issue, I'll move on to something else.
At this point since I'm new to anything about Blue Rays -I'm attempting to find out the right way to do this in the USA IF it can be done.

At this stage - I have no idea if the 30 day trial version of AnyDVD HD is the same as the full paid version other then the time limitation.

I installed the trial version. Put the Blue Ray in the drive. A pop-up came on the screen stating the need for "aggressive I/O mode." Then DVD Fab seemed to be copying until I got that "copy bdmt eng-xml failed." I rebooted the computer, tried again and now it says it working but going so slow it will likely never get done. Kind of like Xeno's Paradox. After 60 minutes it showed only 2% completion.

Blue Ray burning is new to me so there's a learning curve involved here. I never heard of AnyDVD HD until yesterday. I sent to seek out products and/or info when I need it, and usually not before.

In my case, since I'd been using DVD Fab for years with great success -I figured the logical step was try it for Blue Ray also. I had no idea that the DVD Blue Ray burner did not offer decryption like it's DVD version does. I only found THAT out after paying for it and trying it. So that led me to a search of potential decryption products, and the result of that led me to AnyDVD HD. I want to buy it IF it works and do not if if does not. They offer a 30 day trial version and make it clear there are NO refunds once I buy. So OK - I'm trying it. If I find out that for some reason - DVD Fab is the issue, I'll move on to something else.
At this point since I'm new to anything about Blue Rays -I'm attempting to find out the right way to do this in the USA IF it can be done.

At this stage - I have no idea if the 30 day trial version of AnyDVD HD is the same as the full paid version other then the time limitation.

I installed the trial version. Put the Blue Ray in the drive. A pop-up came on the screen stating the need for "aggressive I/O mode." Then DVD Fab seemed to be copying until I got that "copy bdmt eng-xml failed." I rebooted the computer, tried again and now it says it working but going so slow it will likely never get done. Kind of like Xeno's Paradox. After 60 minutes it showed only 2% completion.

If you want to test AnyDVD, then test AnyDVD. Don't test it using a 3rd party software that Slysoft doesn't do. Put the disc in the drive, right-click the fox icon and choose "Rip to Image". After it is finished mount the iso with Virtual CloneDrive (free) and play the iso with PowerDVD, MediaPlayer Classic, or WinDVD. If it plays, AnyDVD did it's job. Then use your 3rd party software to transfer the iso to disc.

Also remember, there is a world of difference (size and time wise) between a DVD and a Bluray.

Just starting to switch over from DVD to Blue Ray. Trying to find a way to burn copies of some Blue Rays. For years, I've been using DVD Fab for DVDs with no issues.

I just got started on this. I've got DVD Fab burning software for Blue Ray and AnyDVD HD decryption software. Note that I only have the "free" 30 day trial version of AnyDVD HD. I'm going to buy it once I'm convinced it works.

I've only got one Blue Ray factory-made disc to try. Title is "Goodbye World." Boring movie yes, but that should not effect ability to copy it, right? It's a one-star movie released in June, 2013. Computer is an old HP XW4100 Workstation with Windows XP Pro, with service pack 3.

Put the disc in the drive. AnyDVD HD pops up and does its work on it. DVD Fab starts the process but somewhere along the way - all stops and I get the error message "copy bdmt-eng-xml failed."

Anybody have an idea what the problem might be?
99% of us here who burns ISO's of Blu-rays to media uses Imgburn. That is what I suggest you use rather then anything from DVDFab.
Could also be a problem with your media _ what brand are you using, what is the make of you Blu-ray burner and how old is it ?

99.9% of Blu-ray burning problems are with cheap media and the incompatibility for the laser to burn into the dye on the disc.
Burners also need firmware updates too _ sometimes.., but usually it's a problem with your media.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

I'll try different software and see what happens. I have no idea if the media I have is a problem of not. Same cheap brand has worked find for me with the DVD-R versions. Never used the Blue Ray before. Both burners are new.

LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner, Bare Drive, 3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - OEM

Pioneer Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Internal Blu-ray Combo DVD & CD Drive Model BDC-207DBK - OEM

Rosewill 25GB 6X BD-R 25 Packs Spindle Blank Blu-ray Media Shiny Silver Model RCDM-10010 - OEM

Imgburn for ALL my burning needs, just be sure you have the options set correctly in Imgburn.

For standard definition always use DVD+R media for any brand, and burn at the rate advertised on the blank disks.

Imgburn can also tell you the true identification of the blank disk, no matter what the disk claims to be or brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
What colour are the discs on the burning surface?

The Rosewill branded discs are are dark blue or charcoal color on the burning surface. Label on the package says "BD-R Rosewill RCDM-10010 25G."

I did not know that BDR+ was preferred over BDR-. Like I stated previously, anything about Blue Rays is new to me. I've never had any issues buring DVD- or DVD+ so I just assumed the same would apply to Blue Rays.

I started out trying to make a Blue Ray burner and read out of my Windows XP Pro computer. It can't even read Blue Rays - at least not yet with any viewer. I tried VLC with the two added files but it still cannot read. I think it might lack the UDF capabilty. The AnyDVD HD program sees the Blue Ray movie right away and I assume decrypts it in "aggressive I/O mode." DVD Fab sees the Blue Ray disc and reads it. That's is a far as I've gotten. This with the new LG drive I just installed. Thanks for the suggestions and help.

LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner, Bare Drive, 3D Play Back (WH14NS40) - OEM

Don't know about the quality of Rosewill, they're Neweggs instore brand _ could be mad by anybody. As fast eddie said, Imgburn will tell you who actually manufactured the disc _ look for Verbatim, JVC, Pioneer, Taiyo Yuden... I think JVC and Taiyo Yuden are the same, but the point is to get high quality media.

You won't find any BD+R's, just BD-R's so that is what you will have to use.

Use MPC-HC to play Blu-rays not VLC. VLC doesn't really work well with Blu-ray.

http://mpc-hc.org/ Use the 32 bit version _ probably better for XP too.

When it comes to XP though and Blu-ray playback/burning, I can't help you there. I hated XP as an OS and good riddance that it's finally dying.

MPC-HC chooses the correct playlist 99% of the time.

Open MPC-HC, click on "File" in the heading bar. Mouse over "Open Disc" and the title of your Blu-ray will be there _ click on that to play.

Once the movie begins to play, right click and choose "Full Screen"

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and pointers. Getting info here went a lot better then trying to glean useful info from a Web-search.

I installed ImageBurn. Ran it alongside AnyDVD HD. All went flawlessly. Both seem to be great programs. Burnt my first Blue Ray pretty quick on my old XP machine with those cheap New Egg "Rosewill" 25 gig discs. ImageBurn showed the blank media as: CMCMAG-BA5-000 I'm not sure what that means but all worked great ! Obvious now that DVD Fab was the problem.

I looked up that code I saw on Imageburn for my media. It's a Verbatim brand. $18 for a pack of 25 of them from New Egg.

Verbatim DataLife Blu-ray Disc BD-R 25 GB / 135 min 6x, Full printable

They're fakes. Return them. True verbatim bd-r's don't use a cmc media code. True bd-r's use the media code VERBAT-IMe-00. For DVD's they use MCC and MKM. See how cmc is a 'variation' on the true MCC?

Datalife plus series is known for being crappy and the cmc media code is why.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

I've burnt three Blue Rays since the last post. All have worked fine. So I don't care who made the blank media.

One new question. I have the computer working fine now with decrypting and burning Blue Rays.

One last hurdle. I'm trying to find a program that will let me view Blue Rays on the same computer with Windows XP Pro and Service pack 3..

I tried VLC with the two added files and it does work.

I tried MPC-HC and that doesn't work either. Perhaps my computer does not have the hardware needed.

Accoridng to MPC-HC . . .

"In order to run MPC-HC you must have an SSE capable CPU. MPC-HC will work on Windows® XP Service Pack 3, Vista, 7 and 8, both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit "

I have no idea if my computer is "SSE capable." It has a Pentium 4 do it ought to.

Are there any other programs out there or do I just need to use a newer computer?

Just as an aside, don't buy JVC/Taiyo Yuden Blu-ray discs they are awful, they make LTH discs(yellow underside which are notorious for burn failures and degrading quickly). I wish people would stop assuming that because they make great DVD's that their Blu-ray disc will be of the same quality, they're not.

If you are looking for a bare bone performance computer that you can soup-up here in region 1 or A at the Micro Center.
www.microcenter.com

Dell XPS 8700 desktop $799.
sku 238709

intel core i7-4790 processor 3.6ghz
Microsoft windows 7 home premium 64 bit
8gb DDR3-1600 ram

Very easy to put in an LG Blu-ray optical drive and add more ram if needed.

I was going to replace my XP machine with this one, but I think I will hold off until Windows 10 comes out.:agree:

Last edited by a moderator:
More failed attempts

I tried again in a different way. Last time when the process failed, I tried to use DVD Fab Blue Ray Copy to read the unencryptyed disc (by AnyDVD HD) and then write it.

On this new attempt -I copied and decrypted the Blue Ray with AnyDVD HD and put it on my hard drive as an ISO file. I then tried to use DVD Fab Blue Ray Copy to use that ISO file that is around 45 GB and compress it to write it to a 25 GB disc. So far the computer run time is one hour and 15 minutes and DVD Fab says it is only 2% completed. At that rate, it's doubtful it is going to work. 2% over an hour? At that rate, it will take 50 hours to do one movie? What the heck is going on here? Right now - it says "copy process" started, and it's at "video reencode bitrate 18137 KBPS." I 'm going to let it run a little longer and then shut it down. I'm assuming it can't be the computer. ImgBurn works fine for reading and burning Blue Rays on the same machine. It just can't compress a 47 GB movie onto a 25 GB disc.

One other thing I discovered though. My DVD burners would no longer write even DVDs with DVD Fab when AnyDVD HD was running in the background At first I thought the burner was bad. So I put in a new one and still no good. I then realized that having AnyDVD HD running in the background was the problem. Why - I have no idea. All I had to do was go into the settings and stop it from running and then DVD Fab burnt some DVDs with no problems. Not Blue Rays however.

This is on my Windows XP Pro machine with Service Pack 3. I have a newer machine I will try later but previous attempts have been the same on either computer. I find it odd that ImgBurn works fine for me. I did a few 23 GB movies onto 25 GB discs fine. But now with this 47 GB movie - I need a way to compress it to burn onto a 25 GB disc. That's why I was trying to use DVD Fab Copy for Blue Ray. And yes, I understand fully that this is not a DVD Fab help forum.

Well you are trying to re-encode h264 on a Pentium 4 so there's no real surprise it's taking such a long time. Single core and at least 6 years old. It would probably give us a better idea if you could find out exactly which P4 you have, although there's no way to speed up the encoding on such an old system.

Back