• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

File Size Question

Kazz5

Soon after AnyDVD's original company stopped updating and it changed hands, requiring a new purchase, I quit backing up my movies. Yesterday, I decided to bite the bullet and re-up since things appear to be both stable and somewhat reasonable in price. So today I backed up 3 movies: The Martian, Logan, and Rogue One.

I've used 20 for compression for years and used it this time around. And all three file sizes are significantly smaller than I expected, and what I would consider similar movies backed up a couple of years ago. I used CUDA with a GTX670. And I set it to full quality effort over speed.

I've not watched these on an HD TV yet. I've only skipped around the .MP4 file on a 24" monitor. I've not immediately noticed quality issues.

Is there something I may have misconfigured and I'm going to notice glaring quality issues? Or have there been the level of compression improvements that equate to an almost 50% reduction in .MP4 file sizes?

Thanks.

CloneBD does not have an option to set a fixed value. At the last screen before you start the conversation there's only a quality slider which will mention the output size too. That said, x264 is a very efficient engine. However Blu-ray contains a lot of overhead and unneeded bitrate for the quality. CloneBD starts by stripping away the excessive before it even begins to touch virtual quality. Combine that with stripping away unneeded audio streams further reduces CloneBD's needs to touch quality. Then you can also define quality by setting the resolution and then there's a fact that CloneBD is very good at what it needs to do.

However the only way to be 100% sure is to watch them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

Thanks for your timely reply. Sorry I've not gotten back here until now.

Watched Logan last night and it looked great. The "20" value I'm talking about is the target bitrate, IIRC. I've backed up MANY BDs through version 1080 before my break in doing so using "20" as my default setting unless the slider ended up in the yellow at "20". Those old backups have all been just under twice as large. The three movies I backed up the other day was with the latest version, 1160. I was just trying to understand the size differences when I'm still using "20" as the bitrate. While the discs are surely different, the version of CBD has moved from 1080 to 1160, so that's where I assume the difference comes from?

I know you were referring to the bit rate. As I said, CloneBD doesn't allow you to specify a specific value. Slider and target output media only.

So, by your lack of mentioning it, there hasn't been anything changed in the software or the CUDA integration that would result in much smaller output file sizes?

My lack of mentioning what? I've said it twice now, you CANNOT set a specific bitrate. You set the output size by

- resolution (1080/720p etc)
- quality slider
- audio recoding options

I THINK specifying an exact bitrate is on the to do list but I'm not sure. However x264/265 are very efficient codecs and CloneBD is very good at its job too.

Cuda integration has nothing to do with it, that's purely hardware encoding/decoding based on what CloneBD tells the GPU what to do.

The quality slider has two measures. One is the file size, the other, unless I remember incorrectly, is the average bit rate. They both change as you move the slider left to right. What I'm saying is that if I have the average bit rate set to 20, older versions create larger output files than newer versions do. I'm not trying to frustrate anyone or misconstrue anything. I just don't understand WTF changed.

The quality slider has two measures. One is the file size, the other, unless I remember incorrectly, is the average bit rate. They both change as you move the slider left to right. What I'm saying is that if I have the average bit rate set to 20, older versions create larger output files than newer versions do. I'm not trying to frustrate anyone or misconstrue anything. I just don't understand WTF changed.

I'd have to verify that.
Basically: the size slider provides a "percentage" in terms of how far to crunch down the original.
The given "main average bit rate" is informative and tells you the resulting average bitrate of the largest source file.
The size shown is also informative: it should be the total size of all resulting files.

There was some entry in the changelog that mentioned a previous incorrectly calculated total size under some circumstances.

Maybe it's that.

Back