• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

feature requests

This thread reminds me of my early days in software development (80s-90s) when GUI interfaces were just starting to appear and there was a lot pushback from the very old school developers who hated GUI software, any suggestion to move to GUI was met with strong resistance. The general thought from the older members of team was that if a user needed a GUI interface, that user didn't have the IQ worthy of using their software, and they strongly resisted moving toward GUI software because it could not be automated nearly as easily as text based software and command line.

My comment is not about any specific comment in this thread, just the nature how a single suggestion can trigger very strong opinions. A constructive suggestion is just a suggestion, but sometimes it evokes responses as if the suggestion is a hardcore, do or die, demand for a change, or the idea is blown off with snide remarks which really is a message of suppression to everyone that there will be a tough gauntlet ahead for ideas that deviate from the norm. Clearly that message was received by @zero7404.

Last edited:
This thread reminds me of my early days in software development (80s-90s) when GUI interfaces were just starting to appear and there was a lot pushback from the very old school developers who hated GUI software...

Of course, now we love them because we can spawn many more terminal windows! :p

or you could just "powershell it," no need to download any random crap, and you can use regex:-

Code:
gci -Path . -Filter *.mp4| Rename-Item -NewName { $_.Name -replace '[Ss]0(?<Season>[123456789])[Ee]0(?<Episode>[123456789])', 'S${Season}E${Episode}' }

View attachment 55162

;)
Still going through MS Dos 5.0 withdrawal, I see.

Still going through MS Dos 5.0 withdrawal, I see.

Actually, still use MS DOS 6.22 and have 3.5" floppies that work, but that's besides the point: time taken to type that string was all of 5~10 seconds, bet you can't use a GUI tool to do that renaming op in under that time.

Actually, still use MS DOS 6.22 and have 3.5" floppies that work, but that's besides the point: time taken to type that string was all of 5~10 seconds, bet you can't use a GUI tool to do that renaming op in under that time.
LOL, LOL. If we were sitting around a poker table, which I do far too much. I would prop bet you a pretty good sum, that if you approached 100 total strangers, (wearing a mask of course and not at an comic con or any coding conference). And asked them if they could pull up a power shell and batch rename a dozen files on a windows machine. You would not find five who knew what you were talking about. Then offer you double or nothing if just one of the few who knew what you were talking about, could do it properly in less than 30 minutes.

LOL, LOL. If we were sitting around a poker table, which I do far too much. I would prop bet you a pretty good sum, that if you approached 100 total strangers, (wearing a mask of course and not at an comic con or any coding conference). And asked them if they could pull up a power shell and batch rename a dozen files on a windows machine. You would not find five who knew what you were talking about. Then offer you double or nothing if just one of the few who knew what you were talking about, could do it properly in less than 30 minutes.

This is precisely it: people pay through the nose for the computers and software, and they buy something again because they don't know how to properly use the thing they've already paid for! Gone are the days when people knew what they had at their finger tips and learning how to do X, Y, or Z, now we live in the era of gimme and shomme... It's the old give a man a fish, teach a man to fish, or fleece the lazy for all they've got ;)

Edit: this reminded me of a recent Q on r/DataHoarder, where someone was asking for a Mac GUI tool to copy large amounts of data and checksum it... Several days later, there were precisely zero replies, doubtless the OP was sat twiddling their thumbs waiting for a reply... Meanwhile, all the tools are already there if you're not scared of using the terminal... Go figure!

I see your DOS 6.22 floppies and raise you a Working Win 3.11 VM.

Pro Tip though, don't use doublespace :p

I accept your challenge and raise you BeOS 5 and OS/2 Warp :p

Ha! OS/2 ! Now that's old skool.

I still wish they had made a 64bit DOS.

And going back to the renaming, I think at this point in the game for most anything it seems to me that computing (in a broad sense) has gotten more complex than what it used to be. Personally (even being old school myself) while I too prefer the CLI I find that a GUI is useful and sometimes needed as well. For me some things are more efficient CLI and some in the GUI. It just depends on what you are doing. But I will admit that often times knowing that the GUI is sometimes just a front end for running CLI commands I end up wanting to always know what it did behind the scenes so I can just run the commands myself.

I have also found over the years that sometimes if CLI commands are complex and can be destructive it can be safer to use a GUI so that you can more easily double check what you are doing. I am thinking job wise on that one where if you make a mistake all or a large part of a network goes bye bye.

Good discussion.

Ha! OS/2 ! Now that's old skool.

I still wish they had made a 64bit DOS.

And going back to the renaming, I think at this point in the game for most anything it seems to me that computing (in a broad sense) has gotten more complex than what it used to be. Personally (even being old school myself) while I too prefer the CLI I find that a GUI is useful and sometimes needed as well. For me some things are more efficient CLI and some in the GUI. It just depends on what you are doing. But I will admit that often times knowing that the GUI is sometimes just a front end for running CLI commands I end up wanting to always know what it did behind the scenes so I can just run the commands myself.

I have also found over the years that sometimes if CLI commands are complex and can be destructive it can be safer to use a GUI so that you can more easily double check what you are doing. I am thinking job wise on that one where if you make a mistake all or a large part of a network goes bye bye.

Good discussion.

There are three fundamental problems. First, for most part, people who write software nowadays have no idea what it means to have quality software. I always give this example and it serves well: it's easy to learn how to put bricks together, but unless you know exactly what is needed to build a house, let alone a mansion, your "thing" is going to collapse. Most "programmers" get the "figure out how to stick bricks on top of another" and claim they can write code. Moreover, and it has to do with the "bricks" I mentioned, a lot of programs are written from "this is how the insides of the program work" perspective as opposed to "this is how people use this piece of software," i. e. the programmers expect the users to adjust what the users do as opposed to the other way around (most of FOSS suffers from this). Secondly, computer users have become exceptionally lazy and demand what I call "instant gratification" (most don't even know what a help file is!), and knowing that, most "programmers" don't bother or don't actually know how to write a half-decent manual. Thirdly, mainly due to the second point, users demand that software does not only X (what it was intended to) but also expanded to do Y and Z (in most cases despite them already having other software than can do Y and Z already), case in point: repeat demands to have AS output MKV files as well as MP4s---unwillingness to run a simple command to convert between the two is either pure ignorance or pure laziness (although could be both). What the users don't realise, for most part, is that the more features a program has, the more likely it is to go wrong, no matter how well the code is written! And this loops back to the first point (and the UNIX(tm) philosophy that the likes of Linux-flavours and GNU have long abandoned: do one thing and do it well!) a "proper" programmer will "perfect" their program in a way very different to a "lego bricks" programmer, as Antoine de Saint Exupéry said: "It seems that perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to remove," of course he was talking about writing prose, not code, but same principles apply.

As for things going bye-bye in the ether, yup, I remember the days in early noughties when someone accidentally deleted a users file and some other stuff on a mail server and backup ops spent the whole weekend restoring stuff; but then again, proper protection wasn't set around those files---so not entirely one op's fault. Nowadays, as is the case with PowerShell, most destructive commands have a "pretend you run it but don't actually run it" switch, in PowerShell's case it's the `-WhatIf' parameter (some dumb software like GNU's (and probably others who mindlessly copied it)`mv' actually do really dumb things like quietly overwriting existing files because the authors never caught on why the original `mv' had the '-f' switch even though the manual says it ought to prompt). And talking about coming full circle: having gone from DOS to Windows to *BSDs and Linux-flavours with about solid 15 years of OS X, I'm back on Windows as a more trustworthy (in terms of stability and results) platform as the rest have become just as bloated as the latter, while the latter is actually being trimmed down...

[dev hat off]
In my humble old fart's opinion, it is not that much of a computing getting more complex, but the complexity is created by people "around the computing".
[dev hat on]

I would agree and disagree. Although I am coming at it from a different angle of life experience as well which probably accounts for the difference. At the nuts and bolts level I think computing as a whole has stayed much the same over the years. What has gotten more complex (in my opinion) is the consolidation of function into fewer devices and software packages. In other words, to move bits from point A to point B maybe you had 3 hardware appliances all with a clear cut CLI and all doing just 1 function but doing that function in a bulletproof manner. But at the present it is more likely those hardware appliances are now bundled into a single VM and all that functionality is accessed through a GUI with a zillion options because you took 3 appliances and turned them into one. It is also my experience that this consolidation of function and code has turned once bulletproof and fairly bug free appliances into sometimes buggy and difficult to manage software packages that are now a never ending cycle of updates. Just my take on it.

There are three fundamental problems. First, for most part, people who write software nowadays have no idea what it means to have quality software. I always give this example and it serves well: it's easy to learn how to put bricks together, but unless you know exactly what is needed to build a house, let alone a mansion, your "thing" is going to collapse. Most "programmers" get the "figure out how to stick bricks on top of another" and claim they can write code. Moreover, and it has to do with the "bricks" I mentioned, a lot of programs are written from "this is how the insides of the program work" perspective as opposed to "this is how people use this piece of software," i. e. the programmers expect the users to adjust what the users do as opposed to the other way around (most of FOSS suffers from this). Secondly, computer users have become exceptionally lazy and demand what I call "instant gratification" (most don't even know what a help file is!), and knowing that, most "programmers" don't bother or don't actually know how to write a half-decent manual. Thirdly, mainly due to the second point, users demand that software does not only X (what it was intended to) but also expanded to do Y and Z (in most cases despite them already having other software than can do Y and Z already), case in point: repeat demands to have AS output MKV files as well as MP4s---unwillingness to run a simple command to convert between the two is either pure ignorance or pure laziness (although could be both). What the users don't realise, for most part, is that the more features a program has, the more likely it is to go wrong, no matter how well the code is written! And this loops back to the first point (and the UNIX(tm) philosophy that the likes of Linux-flavours and GNU have long abandoned: do one thing and do it well!) a "proper" programmer will "perfect" their program in a way very different to a "lego bricks" programmer, as Antoine de Saint Exupéry said: "It seems that perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to remove," of course he was talking about writing prose, not code, but same principles apply.

As for things going bye-bye in the ether, yup, I remember the days in early noughties when someone accidentally deleted a users file and some other stuff on a mail server and backup ops spent the whole weekend restoring stuff; but then again, proper protection wasn't set around those files---so not entirely one op's fault. Nowadays, as is the case with PowerShell, most destructive commands have a "pretend you run it but don't actually run it" switch, in PowerShell's case it's the `-WhatIf' parameter (some dumb software like GNU's (and probably others who mindlessly copied it)`mv' actually do really dumb things like quietly overwriting existing files because the authors never caught on why the original `mv' had the '-f' switch even though the manual says it ought to prompt). And talking about coming full circle: having gone from DOS to Windows to *BSDs and Linux-flavours with about solid 15 years of OS X, I'm back on Windows as a more trustworthy (in terms of stability and results) platform as the rest have become just as bloated as the latter, while the latter is actually being trimmed down...

Good stuff. While I am not a programmer I can still commiserate with you on how things have gone. Heck I remember when Windows and DOS actually came with manuals. I blame Microsoft for destroying manuals as they were the first to nix sending them for software that I can recall. They might have been the ones who first lowered support to the levels where it basically does not exist as well. Now, anything you buy if you actually want a decent level of support (and I mean whether you are buying a PC or a high end datacenter router) you have to pay through the nose.

As far as Windows vs Linux I find that an interesting topic. I don't think one is better than the other. They both have strengths which are also their weaknesses. Which you use just depends on your goals and use case in my mind. So the whole fighting between the 2 camps is silly in my opinion. Although neither owns the title of the most stable operating system. I don't think even UNIX holds that crown, my personal experience is that title is held by IBM OS400.

As far as Windows vs Linux I find that an interesting topic. I don't think one is better than the other. They both have strengths which are also their weaknesses. Which you use just depends on your goals and use case in my mind. So the whole fighting between the 2 camps is silly in my opinion. Although neither owns the title of the most stable operating system. I don't think even UNIX holds that crown, my personal experience is that title is held by IBM OS400.

Yeah, is a bit like arguing which spoken language is better; a lot of it depends on where in the world you are located at any given time. But, I digress from post #1. :)

I would agree and disagree. Although I am coming at it from a different angle of life experience as well which probably accounts for the difference. At the nuts and bolts level I think computing as a whole has stayed much the same over the years. What has gotten more complex (in my opinion) is the consolidation of function into fewer devices and software packages. In other words, to move bits from point A to point B maybe you had 3 hardware appliances all with a clear cut CLI and all doing just 1 function but doing that function in a bulletproof manner. But at the present it is more likely those hardware appliances are now bundled into a single VM and all that functionality is accessed through a GUI with a zillion options because you took 3 appliances and turned them into one. It is also my experience that this consolidation of function and code has turned once bulletproof and fairly bug free appliances into sometimes buggy and difficult to manage software packages that are now a never ending cycle of updates. Just my take on it.
That's exactly what I meant to say. It's just that I may have phrased it a bit nebulously.

just bumping this thread .... that one request - adding a queue job ... would be very beneficial.

handy to have and let AS run overnight for large content (multiple long films, shows with several seasons and several episodes).

with prime, maybe it can be setup to queue and dl everything that's in the watchlist or some other way ?

would be nice to have

just bumping this thread .... that one request - adding a queue job ... would be very beneficial.

handy to have and let AS run overnight for large content (multiple long films, shows with several seasons and several episodes).

with prime, maybe it can be setup to queue and dl everything that's in the watchlist or some other way ?

would be nice to have
it helps reading stickies.

Batch downloading https://forum.redfox.bz/threads/read-me-feature-requests-status-report.79296/

ID 78448

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

looks like its under consideration.

thanks.

Might want to check again then, you missed the APPROVED part for TV shows.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

see it, cool.

sorry, i haven't messed too much with the AS interface, where can i find the feature (settings or check boxes next to episodes) ?

Back