• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Feature Request - Log Directory setting

I never said you could specify the location of the log files. Reread the issue and my response. The OP was complaining that the log files and the downloaded files were in the same directory. I presented a solution that moves the downloaded files into subdirectories so that the downloaded files and log files are not in the same directory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a workaround sure and I might do that for now, but my whole point was to have the application contain the settings where I can specifically direct media in one place and log files in another. It's not at all anything more than a convenience but given the relative ease I THINK it can be done with I thought it might be worth suggesting.

Might wanna re-read OP's line 2. The whole point of this topic is a request to be able to set a specific directory

Correct. Until this request is implemented, if at all, instead of just saying no it cant be done I provided a work around.

That's a workaround sure and I might do that for now, but my whole point was to have the application contain the settings where I can specifically direct media in one place and log files in another. It's not at all anything more than a convenience but given the relative ease I THINK it can be done with I thought it might be worth suggesting.

IMHO all suggestions are worth mentioning and discussing. In the end it is up to the developers what they implement.

You can specify where to put your downloaded files so they are not on the same directory as the log files.
Hi Don922,

That's what I got from your initial posting. However I am curious as to why you would want to move your downloads into a folder designated for each Provider. That seems like a lot of work.
Log files would reside in C:/AS while the downloads would reside it their respective subdirectories.
I never said you could specify the location of the log files. Reread the issue and my response.

My recommendation is this, as a solution until the program itself has this feature implemented. It's the same way I work with files in many other settings, and specifically moving my TV Shows into their final resting place which I go over in my AnyStream User Guide; specifically in the AnyStream Shows topic under My Thoughts. This is a technique I've used for years.

I would explain it here, but that's a lot of work. Just check out what I share in my guide using the links above. I think you'll like it. The concept is the same regardless of what files are being routinely moved/copied from one place to another.

It's more work than just downloading the log file to any directory, and uploading it to the forum. Then when it's not needed delete it. I think it defaults to " My Documents" but I usually download it to My Desktop, upload it to the forum, then delete it. The whole process takes less than a few seconds.

It's more work than just downloading the log file to any directory, and uploading it to the forum. Then when it's not needed delete it. I think it defaults to " My Documents" but I usually download it to My Desktop, upload it to the forum, then delete it. The whole process takes less than a few seconds.

True that! (y) ... I hardly ever need them myself which is why I prefer to create them manually.
Here's a screenshot from my Log Messages, Log Files and Dump Files topic.

upload_2021-6-13_12-9-14.png

Why would you always want to create a logfile. One is created anyway, but if you need to download it you do, logfiles are worthless with a successful download, they are only for issues?

I use them as a log of which titles I got where. This way I can download and add them to EMDB at my leisure without trying to have to remember which service they came from as I rename them. Yes, it's a little neurotic but I like to know/record where every title I own came from as it denotes things like format, quality, sound quality etc. Those details come into play often times when I am deciding whether or not to buy a disc for example.

I use them as a log of which titles I got where. This way I can download and add them to EMDB at my leisure without trying to have to remember which service they came from as I rename them. Yes, it's a little neurotic but I like to know/record where every title I own came from as it denotes things like format, quality, sound quality etc. Those details come into play often times when I am deciding whether or not to buy a disc for example.
To each his own.:rolleyes:

To each his own.:rolleyes:

I understand my detailed logging and cataloging is goofy. But it's how I have been doing it since I first started ripping my own discs and putting them on Plex. So I just have kept doing it and now with all the titles I have (via EMDB) I know what format a disc is, where it came from and all the details of the digital version I made. I just carried that forward with Anystream.

It's just my own personal process at this point and I am sure we all have one we follow once you do this long enough to get into a groove so to speak.

I understand my detailed logging and cataloging is goofy.

Hi DQ,

It's great to know that I'm not the only one that lets their OCD kick in with tracking the media we have and store in our Media Server (Plex, Emby, Jellyfin, etc.). (y)
  • I use Excel (named Movie Tracker). Been using this method for 25 years now. Originally a necessary evil when my DVD backups were on different 500GB drives - labeled VOL A, VOL B, etc. Used my tracker to sort movies/shows to identify which VOL to load in my old Netgear NAS. (n)
  • FastForward a bit... I now have 70 TB of storage on my QNAP. No more swapping drives for me :D, but still use my tracker for DVDs/BDs that have been converted or need to be.
  • FastForward again... I started using the My Movies app where I scan the barcode to add to track what I own, want to own, or maybe sell off. Not a big fan of the Windows desktop client, but it serves it's purpose for now to prevent me from buying something on the fly that I already own. You can track your digital (DRM) titles as well.
  • I'll be sharing my new method soon. I have a place holder for this in my AnyStream User Guide > Managing Your AnyStreams where I'll share my new system that I find so much easier, and has freed up tons of time that the tracker consumed.

@DQ,​
Well of course you can collect anything you want, but it still Beyond my comprehension what the log files have to do with the movies, they are only for the developers and only if you have a problem. There are much easier ways to do what you explain you want to do. But if that is your wish, I hope you have luck in doing it, I think zero269 had a good idea with it Excel spreadsheet. Good luck my friend

Reactions: DQ
Hi Don922,

That's what I got from your initial posting. However I am curious as to why you would want to move your downloads into a folder designated for each Provider. That seems like a lot of work.

My recommendation is this, as a solution until the program itself has this feature implemented. It's the same way I work with files in many other settings, and specifically moving my TV Shows into their final resting place which I go over in my AnyStream User Guide; specifically in the AnyStream Shows topic under My Thoughts. This is a technique I've used for years.

I would explain it here, but that's a lot of work. Just check out what I share in my guide using the links above. I think you'll like it. The concept is the same regardless of what files are being routinely moved/copied from one place to another.
I don't move the downloads into a folder designated for each Provider. I have the AS templates set up to save them into provider folders. My template for movies is - %p/%t while the template for TV shows is - %p/%n/Season %s/%n - S%sE%e - %t. Once downloaded I then move them to the proper Plex folders.

@DQ,​
Well of course you can collect anything you want, but it still Beyond my comprehension what the log files have to do with the movies, they are only for the developers and only if you have a problem. There are much easier ways to do what you explain you want to do. But if that is your wish, I hope you have luck in doing it, I think zero269 had a good idea with it Excel spreadsheet. Good luck my friend

I do not read the log files themselves. I use the name of the log file to reference A)have I pulled that title down already B)which service did it come from.

I use this information to populate EMDB which is doing the same thing as his spreadsheet and then some.

I keep my log files just to make it easier to see what I've already downloaded. Especially with AP where movies move from one "channel" to another and might look like a new offering. Saves me from having to scan my NAS or multiple folders for a specific movie.

Reactions: DQ
Wow, what a lot of discussion about a mere feature request.
The OP knows already, that he currently can't do that (hence the feature request), so no need telling him that (3 times, I believe) :).

Anyway: noted. May or may not get implemented.

Generally: nobody has to create log files for every download - the checkbox for always creating one is so that if you discover that something went wrong with a download after the fact, you have a log file. Otherwise you'd have to reproduce the problem and that may sometimes not be possible (freak quirks).
An extra folder for logs - I get the motivation, I just immediately have complications rushning through my brain. Like: the subfolder structure would have to be the same - or if not, an additional template for log files would have to be provided, etc.... These things always sound tiny but often turn into UI nightmares.
So it really depends on how badly you need it.

I don't move the downloads into a folder designated for each Provider. I have the AS templates set up to save them into provider folders. My template for movies is - %p/%t while the template for TV shows is - %p/%n/Season %s/%n - S%sE%e - %t. Once downloaded I then move them to the proper Plex folders.

That's interesting. I didn't even think about using the / in the Name template. I wasn't sure that would even work.
Are you using a slash or backslash? Your example shows a slash, but Windows uses a backslash for directory separation.
Just curious... that's clever though, even though I don't separate my content in that fashion. (y)

However, I'm going to test that for TV SHOWS. I'll get back to you shortly!

an additional template for log files would have to be provided, etc...
@Pete,
I think using a Name Template for log files is a great idea! (y)
These things always sound tiny but often turn into UI nightmares.
Yeah... it's a tough business, Pete. :cool: But rewarding, yes? (y)
I take it you haven't seen my UI nightmare recommendation yet... my PowerPoint prototype offers the vision though.
So it really depends on how badly you need it.
It's not a feature I would use, but I can see the value for those that like to use the automatic log file creation setting.

My template for movies is - %p/%t while the template for TV shows is - %p/%n/Season %s/%n - S%sE%e - %t. Once downloaded I then move them to the proper Plex folders.
upload_2021-6-14_14-27-4.png

As promised, I'm back to report my findings...

I tested it with my SHOWS, and it worked perfectly! (y) Such a HUGE timesaver, and so I updated my AnyStream User Guide > Download Settings.

upload_2021-6-14_14-33-55.png

Back