• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Feature request. Frequency change 24hz on blu-ray detection:

wilsonj

I know there is an option to change frequencies for NTSC and PAL, but is there any chance of adding the option to change on Blu-ray and HD detectio also??

I can only get smooth playback of blu-ray at 24hz, but that messes with DVD playback, so I change to 50hz for that. And visa versa.

I would really love to see this feature added. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard, as the option seems to be half way there now...

Anyone else interested in this feature?

Regards
Jamie

I can only get smooth playback of blu-ray at 24hz, but that messes with DVD playback, so I change to 50hz for that. And visa versa.
You watch PAL DVDs with 50Hz and enjoy Mikey Mouse voices?

Tsk, tsk... ;)

@wilsonj You should use 72Hz.

@james I don't get it :disagree:

@james I don't get it :disagree:

Trust your ears:
http://www.schmidt-web.info/malte/english.html

If you don't hear the difference, or if you don't care.... use 50Hz. ;)

IMHO the only way to play PAL DVDs (which are mastered from 24p sources, which is almost everything) is with 24/48/72 fps. AFAIK ReClock is the only way to do this. No, the "Tru PAL" setting of WinDVD doesn't work.

@wilsonj You should use 72Hz.
Not, if the display supports standard HDTV timings, e.g. 1080p24
HDMI audio won't work with non standard timings like 1080p72, and you might even face HDMI bandwidth problems.

But this is all off topic... :eek:

Yeah all blu-ray players and HDTV sets are required to accept 24fps by standard.
Yet movie studios still speedup and release 25fps pal shit in europe.
Thats why i order all my blu-ray from the USA.

At least in DVDs you get the benefit of the extra resolution (576p PAL vs 480p NTSC) but with hd there is no benefit, just the downside of speeded up audio.

Yeah all blu-ray players and HDTV sets are required to accept 24fps by standard.
No, on HD DVD / Blu-ray they don't

There are many reasons to order Blu-ray discs in the US (release date, price), but PAL speedup isn't one of them.

At least in DVDs you get the benefit of the extra resolution (576p PAL vs 480p NTSC) but with hd there is no benefit, just the downside of speeded up audio.

There is no PAL speedup on BD. There is PAL speedup on two European HD DVD discs due to an authoring error (Basic Instinct, Total Recall).

Curious, do you know of one BD title which is suffering from PAL speedup? I don't know any title, they are all running with 23.976 or 24 FPS.

Does this apply to movies filmed/recorded in Europe too? Like Phantom of the opera or Der Untergang?

Does this apply to movies filmed/recorded in Europe too? Like Phantom of the opera or Der Untergang?
As I said, it doesn't apply to *any* movies. This information is plain wrong.

EDIT:
For HD discs. PAL DVDs have PAL speedup for European movies, too.

... they are all running with 23.976 or 24 FPS.

BTW, what are advantages and disadvantages of one over the other?
As I understand, 24 fps is the actual frame rate of virtually all movies, while 23.976 fps is "NTSC adjusted" frame rate, which makes it possible to fit movie into standard 59.97Hz NTSC signal.
Also, approximately what is the ratio of BDs released with 24 fps to those with 23.976 fps?

in germany there are at least 3 bd with 50 hz and 1080i picture
(nur über ihre leiche/over my dead body,john carpenters vampires and
copland)so they should have the speedup.

BTW, what are advantages and disadvantages of one over the other?
As I understand, 24 fps is the actual frame rate of virtually all movies, while 23.976 fps is "NTSC adjusted" frame rate, which makes it possible to fit movie into standard 59.97Hz NTSC signal.
I don't know the definite answer. Maybe 1080i60 is 59.97Hz in real life, so playback on 1080i is easier. Or maybe to use the same transfer (downscaled) for NTSC SD DVDs.
Also, approximately what is the ratio of BDs released with 24 fps to those with 23.976 fps?
I have seen very few 24fps BD discs. Can't remember which.
Most are 23.976. Maybe because of the reason above, or because HD DVD didn't support 24fps, only 23.976 and the studios used the same transfer (at least Warner, Paramount and now Universal).
Not as bad as the "PAL speedup", as this "NTSC speeddown" is less than 1% (I cannot hear it).

in germany there are at least 3 bd with 50 hz and 1080i picture
(nur über ihre leiche/over my dead body,john carpenters vampires and
copland)so they should have the speedup.

This is sad. But these movies aren't available in the US (or any other country?) in any HD format. All movies released in Europe from major studios are mastered correctly with 23.976 fps or 24fps. And who is "Galileo Medien AG"? Maybe they want to make a quick buck and sell a HD PAL master on BD... From what I've heard, "Copland" seems to be an upscaled PAL DVD... :mad:

Trust your ears:
http://www.schmidt-web.info/malte/english.html

If you don't hear the difference, or if you don't care.... use 50Hz. ;)

IMHO the only way to play PAL DVDs (which are mastered from 24p sources, which is almost everything) is with 24/48/72 fps. AFAIK ReClock is the only way to do this. No, the "Tru PAL" setting of WinDVD doesn't work.
To drift even further off topic:

There are people, who call themselves "home theater buffs" and show off with their expensive amps and THX-Ultra certified speakers and high-end DVD players, but fail to recognize that >90% of all PAL DVDs not only run 4% too fast (this is almost 5 minutes on a 2 hour movie!) but have the pitch 4% wrong.

These people are not worthy of their expensive equipment, they should donate it to me. :D
But they can keep the expensive DVD player, I'll use a HTPC with XP and ReClock. ;)

... >90% of all PAL DVDs not only run 4% too fast (this is almost 5 minutes on a 2 hour movie!) but have the pitch 4% wrong.
I'll use a HTPC with XP and ReClock. ;)

Apparently Sony TVs with "24p True Cinema" can also do the trick. Or can they?

This is the text for the tooltip for "24p True Cinema" keyword from sony.co.uk site:

24p True Cinema
This mode allows films to be watched as intended by the director for the big screen, at 24 frames per second. Until now, movies watched at home play back 'faster' than they do in the cinema. When a film is shown on TV or sold on DVD it has to be adjusted to be compatible with the PAL format. The difference is that films are shot at a rate of 24 frames per second, whereas standard TV uses 25 frames per second.

But I wonder how they do that. Apparently they should be using quite large buffer (as you said, the difference is 5 minutes for 2 hour movie, so this should be kept somewhere). And if they also convert 23.976p/29.97i to 24p, they also need a buffer, and also they have to delay playback a little bit.

Wow, what a response. Pity it went a little off topic. But while we are....

My projector doesn't seem to like 72hz, and at the other frequencies I get jerky playback. So for now this is the best solution. I'd rather have smooth pans and 4% faster audio anyday.

I will look into reclock though. But does it play nice with vista?

Wow, what a response. Pity it went a little off topic. But while we are....

My projector doesn't seem to like 72hz, and at the other frequencies I get jerky playback. So for now this is the best solution. I'd rather have smooth pans and 4% faster audio anyday.
The goal is to have smooth pans without 4% faster audio. ;)

I will look into reclock though. But does it play nice with vista?
No, unfortunately not.

Back