• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

False positive for Structural Protection on a disc from 2000?

dbminter

I've got a disc that was released before structural protection was even invented. Yet, AnyDVD 8.5.5.2 Beta is returning Structural Protection on it.

The Log is attached. Is this a false positive? The original disc was copyrighted in 2000 and therefore released in either 2000 or 2001, before the invention of Structural Protection. I got it in 2003.

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot initially to mention the title. It's the Doctor Who Remembrance Of The Daleks R2 PAL DVD, the standard edition release, not the Special Edition that came out a few years later.

Oh, one thing I didn't think of, though I doubt that should matter. I goofed and used a BD drive that was set to R1 for its region when that log was made. Would changing the region make a difference for this R2 disc?

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.5.5.2_Info_R_BBCDVD1040.ziplog
    116.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I've got a disc that was released before structural protection was even invented. Yet, AnyDVD 8.5.5.2 Beta is returning Structural Protection on it.

The Log is attached. Is this a false positive? The original disc was copyrighted in 2000 and therefore released in either 2000 or 2001, before the invention of Structural Protection. I got it in 2003.

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot initially to mention the title. It's the Doctor Who Remembrance Of The Daleks R2 PAL DVD, the standard edition release, not the Special Edition that came out a few years later.

Oh, one thing I didn't think of, though I doubt that should matter. I goofed and used a BD drive that was set to R1 for its region when that log was made. Would changing the region make a difference for this R2 disc?
The region codes for Blu-ray discs are on the disc, not the drive:

Region Codes for Blu-ray Discs | Sony USA

DVD region code - Wikipedia

:)

1.) This is the DVD section.

2.) Sometimes, you must set the region on your DRIVE in order to match the region on the DISC in order to properly decrypt discs. There are plenty of posts where people are told to change their region settings on their drive to match the disc they're having troubles with.

:)

EDIT: I popped in the DVD+R DL I made of this disc like 10 years ago and it is also returning what I believe is a false positive for structural protection. Because it's not encrypted at all and has no region code on it. Plus, when I decrypted this disc years ago with AnyDVD, there were no structural protection warnings.

And does it play? I suppose it does.
If it doesn't: Turn off "protection based on read errors" in AnyDVD settings.

No, not for this disc.

It plays, but I discovered something else odd. I can't play this on a DVD player connected to a TV because my TV is NTSC and the DVD is PAL. So, I've had to play it on my PC. It plays in Media Player Classic Home Cinema. However, when I try to make a copy of the DVD+R DL I made years ago by dragging and dropping the VIDEO_TS from the DVD+R DL into an ImgBurn job for making a new ISO, it can't do it. It says the VIDEO_TS.IFO file in the VIDEO_TS folder is corrupt or unreadable. However, if I copy the VIDEO_TS from the disc to HDD and import that VIDEO_TS, ImgBurn is fine with it.

It plays, but I discovered something else odd. I can't play this on a DVD player connected to a TV because my TV is NTSC and the DVD is PAL. So, I've had to play it on my PC. It plays in Media Player Classic Home Cinema. However, when I try to make a copy of the DVD+R DL I made years ago by dragging and dropping the VIDEO_TS from the DVD+R DL into an ImgBurn job for making a new ISO, it can't do it. It says the VIDEO_TS.IFO file in the VIDEO_TS folder is corrupt or unreadable. However, if I copy the VIDEO_TS from the disc to HDD and import that VIDEO_TS, ImgBurn is fine with it.
It probably isn't the TV, but the DVD player. Most DVD players in North America are NTSC only. You can find a handful that are NTSC/PAL, they just run a bit more. Your computer plays it because the optical drive does both.

Of course, the false positive has nothing to do with the NTSC TV. :) I was just pointing out I couldn't test it on a DVD player connected to my TV because it was a PAL DVD and my TV was NTSC. I was just saying I could only test it by playing on my PC.

DVD players aren't any kind of video system. Newer Blu-Ray models can detect what type of system you have and what type of video format is attempted to be played. It can then refuse to play a content given the region (Not the Region code.) the hardware is sold in. The PS3 does this. However, even then, they are not inherently any video system because they don't play back anything other than what is fed into them. It's the TV that determines the types of video formats it can play. For instance, PAL can play NTSC, but NTSC cannot play PAL. Well, NTSC can PLAY PAL, but it's scrambled and in black and white. Like those old days in the early 90's when your local cable provider scrambled pay channels like HBO. The PS3 in North America, since it uses NTSC for its TV's, will refuse to play PAL if it detects it on a disc. While it COULD play PAL video, the end results aren't worth it, so the PS3 "denies" playback.

Back