• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Fallout 3 (Collector's Edition) works, but did Securom mess up?

Webslinger

Retired Moderator
I guess I will install it now, and see if Game Jackal works.

Well, this is weird . . .

Under Vista 64 ultimate edition SP1, if you attempt to run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\FalloutLauncher.exe" without the game disc in the drive, securom complains

If, however, I attempt to run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\Fallout3.exe", without the game disc in my system, the game simply runs

:confused:

Protection ID indicates:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3\FalloutLauncher.exe | Suspicious MZ Header | SecuROM Detected - Version 07.38.0006 | Possible CD/DVD-Key or Serial Check

But there's absolutely nothing on Fallout3.exe

Did Securom screw up and wrap the wrong file? Hard to believe

Last edited:
So, since I don't trust securom, even though Fallout3.exe launches the game perfectly fine without the original disc, I decided to profile FalloutLauncher.exe just to be safe.

You don't need to actually launch to game in order to create a working profile. Just profile Falloutlaucher.exe, and then click "Exit". (I just drag and dropped the file into Game Jackal to begin profile creation).

Game Jackal 3.1.1.4 will create the profile, and my profile works. :rock:

However, I'm not entirely sure you need Game Jackal at all for this game, and I don't understand why Securom didn't wrap fallout3.exe

Last edited:
i think its up to the publisher to choose what file to protect, not the protection company :)

Weird, I created a securerom profile using Fallout3.exe so GJ wouldn't profile the wrong exe. Looks like I needn't have bothered :)

Weird, I created a securerom profile using Fallout3.exe so GJ wouldn't profile the wrong exe. Looks like I needn't have bothered :)

That's the wrong file to profile.

The protected file is FalloutLauncher.exe (but profiling that seems kind of pointless).

That's the wrong file to profile.

The protected file is FalloutLauncher.exe (but profiling that seems kind of pointless).

I realise that, however, I don't use FalloutLauncher.exe to launch the game, I use Fallout3.exe, which, if what you are saying, completely bypasses any protection anyway.

I realise that, however, I don't use FalloutLauncher.exe to launch the game, I use Fallout3.exe, which, if what you are saying, completely bypasses any protection anyway.

Yeah, fallout3.exe isn't protected. Pretty weird

Do you think someone messed up by telling them not to protect fallout3.exe?

possibly, though bethesda were always 'anti' protection really, look at morrowind etc, and for most protection stuff the publisher has to upload the exe to be protected, and then they get back the protected one...

so, it would be quite a mistake if they uploaded the wrong file..

my guess would be it worked like this...

1. bethesda were anti protection from day #1
2. publisher 'forced' them to apply protection
3. bethesda choose to apply the protection in a non 'damaging' way
4. they then protect the launcher executable (which isn't really needed), to satisfy the publishers 'demands'

from what i saw the launcher isn't really needed, because the setup installer can be run directly, and so can the game when its installed just by running the fallout3.exe and not using the launcher..

interesting thing (which makes me think this was forced by the publisher) is

euro verison -> SecuROM
polish version -> SafeDisc
russian version -> StarForce

probably good that i mentioned that incase we get other people reporting errors with gj on the title / whatever (though, really gj isn't needed for this, just make a shortcut to the exe.. job done)..

possibly, though bethesda were always 'anti' protection really, look at morrowind etc,

Yeah, and Oblivion just had a simple disc check. So what you're saying makes a lot of sense to me.

from what i saw the launcher isn't really needed, because the setup installer can be run directly, and so can the game when its installed just by running the fallout3.exe and not using the launcher..

Yes, that's right. The launcher isn't necessary.

(though, really gj isn't needed for this, just make a shortcut to the exe.. job done)..

Yep, but even in the event people do care, it's good to know that Game Jackal will work with the launcher (for the SecuRom version anyway).

Thanks for posting. I just noticed that a patch was announced: click http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=901742&view=findpost&p=13137748

Last edited:
First, thanks to Slysoft for updating GJ so that the launcher doesn't detect it.

Second, thanks to Webslinger for this thread, and making me realize I can just use the fallout3.exe with no disc or GJ required!

However, this wasn't the end of the strangeness for me. I like using GJ to launch my games from the system tray, so I thought I'd create a profile for Fallout 3 using the fallout3.exe. Well, a few minutes in, the game stops responding. If I launch the fallout3.exe manually this does not happen. I've tried recreating the profile, and trying it many times both ways, and its pretty consistent.

It's almost like GJ is trying too hard? Any ideas? I know, I should just use quicklaunch or something, but this was just too weird.

Second, thanks to Webslinger for this thread, and making me realize I can just use the fallout3.exe with no disc or GJ required!

You're very welcome

However, this wasn't the end of the strangeness for me. I like using GJ to launch my games from the system tray, so I thought I'd create a profile for Fallout 3 using the fallout3.exe.

That's the wrong file to profile. If you want to create a profile, then profile falloutlauncher.exe because that's the file that's actually protected.

Using that exe to create a profile I can't even get into the game, I just get "Wrong disc inserted".

as far as i know the protection is region based.. this is what i was able to find out..

europe + usa -> securom
russia -> starforce
poland -> safedisc

there may be more regions, but those are the ones i know of... all of them protected the launcher exe, NOT the fallout3.exe

My release is from Canada, which are typically the same as the US version (with a french manual shrink-wrapped over top amusingly).

I must confess the first time I tried profiling the launcher with the securom selection it froze (I waited a half hour or more) at 1.5 minutes remaining. I couldn't even end-task GJ, so I rebooted. The second time I selected automatic and it said it finished, but a "1 second remaining" stayed on the screen, which I closed. That profile was the one that asked me to insert the disc. I tried a third time and had the exact same settings and results as the first time. For now I'm just not using GJ or the disc, and using a shortcut to fallout3.exe.

I'm curious though, is there no way to use the GJ system tray launcher without profiling the disc? I have disc-less games that would be convenient to have listed in there.

I must confess the first time I tried profiling the launcher with the securom selection it froze (I waited a half hour or more) at 1.5 minutes remaining. I couldn't even end-task GJ, so I rebooted. The second time I selected automatic and it said it finished, but a "1 second remaining" stayed on the screen, which I closed. That profile was the one that asked me to insert the disc. I tried a third time and had the exact same settings and results as the first time. For now I'm just not using GJ or the disc, and using a shortcut to fallout3.exe.

That's weird. Click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4824, and please provide the requested information. Based on what evlncrn8 wrote, your disc is probably SecuRom protected.

I'm curious though, is there no way to use the GJ system tray launcher without profiling the disc? I have disc-less games that would be convenient to have listed in there.

Maybe you're looking for this plugin? click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=122592&postcount=5

I've never used it.

Back