• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Failed to send host key (bus encryption) (only with some disks)

Yea, no idea on that one. Not seen any problems like that. Usually it works or it doesn't UNLESS it's having issues reading the disc. Which is always possible.

That's the thing, it seems to work in UBP-X800 no probs. I had some bad UHDs but they were obviously bad once put into a regular UHD player, this one is interesting...

You can't compare a UHD player to a UHD drive. They aren't the same thing. First off, they read at vastly different speeds. That's just the start of the differences.

You can't compare a UHD player to a UHD drive. They aren't the same thing. First off, they read at vastly different speeds. That's just the start of the differences.

It'd be daft if a regular computer drive's firmware couldn't throttle speed on medium/ECC errors...

Here's a fun observation: just popped it back in,.. and it's currently ripping at the film speed (2x). We'll see how that pans out ;-)

Ok so rip with protection seemed to work (max speed was 6x) then making a decrypted image from that seems to have thrown no errors. I'll try a decrypted image straight from the disc tomorrow. The transient error seems well odd.

So more weirdness: put the disc in this morning, mounted and scanned perfectly, not even the Volume ID error, so I thought I'd create a log just in case. The latter naturally forced a rescan, and this time the Volume ID error popped up... Copied to unencrypted ISO and that was fine, so whatever is going on underneath definitely seems rather random...

After getting GoT disc-set, I was getting this error intermittently on virtually every other disc. So I spent a good few days digging around and debugging (considering things like "there must be some weird race condition in AnyDVD" to "well, my cabling is way outside of the SATA spec, let's bring the drives `closer' and stick them onto the mobo SATA controller instead of a SAS one") hardware changes hadn't made an iota of difference. As a last ditch attempt I decided to push out MK's deneutered Asus' 3.10-MK firmware to both my Asus and LG drives, and boy what a difference that made! I went and checked what firmware LG had for NS55 drives and it was an even later release than Asus' one, and the reference to the firmware said "- BD Read/Write improvement; - Compatibility issue improvement." So I flashed the LG firmware onto the LG drives and kept Asus' on their drives (with a de-tour via NS60's firmware, not relevant to this story). I can't say I can tell an obvious difference between 3.10-MK and 1.05-MK, save for one disc (next para), but I can tell an obvious difference between those and the "historic" friendly versions.

I would hazard a guess that the drives calibrate laser to each inserted disc, and not have an immutable calibration parameter-set (they might have some drive-specific starting params but then use calibration table or some algo to tune calibration to each disc), and it's the thing that was improved in the later firmware. Whatever the changes were, they made the frequency of this type of error virtually disappear when it was rather prevalent (at least with my GoT discs) before. And when this kind of error popped up ejecting and re-inserting the disc in the drive cleared it up (sometimes I had to do that more than twice). Ditto for "bad sectors:" I had one disc that gave bad sectors after eject/insert cycle it gave bad sectors in a different zone, after another cycle, the bad sectors were in a different place, so I moved the disc from an Asus drive to an LG one with 1.05-MK firmware and there were no more bad sectors... I rip to a protected image then verify transport stream hashes, so I know the rips were good.

The short of it is that this kind of error seems to be a generic way of AnyDVD telling you there's something wrong (and not necessarily caused by bus encryption it would seem). As always, YMMV.

Edit: I had another disc from the GoT that was throwing bad sectors, but that looks like a certifiable toast despite no visible surface imperfections.

Last edited:
As a last ditch attempt I decided to push out MK's deneutered Asus' 3.10-MK firmware to both my Asus and LG drives, and boy what a difference that made! So I flashed the LG firmware onto the LG drives and kept Asus' on their drives (with a de-tour via NS60's firmware, not relevant to this story).

So you cross-flashed your LG drives to ASUS and they work better now?

So you cross-flashed your LG drives to ASUS and they work better now?

... I went and checked what firmware LG had for NS55 drives and it was an even later release than Asus' one, and the reference to the firmware said "- BD Read/Write improvement; - Compatibility issue improvement." So I flashed the LG firmware onto the LG drives and kept Asus' on their drives (with a de-tour via NS60's firmware, not relevant to this story). I can't say I can tell an obvious difference between 3.10-MK and 1.05-MK, save for one disc (next para), but I can tell an obvious difference between those and the "historic" friendly versions.

;-)

Bumping this as I seem to have the same issue, except it's for V for Vendetta.

The drive I'm using (ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10) has UHD-friendly firmware and has been ripping UHDs fine.

Popping in the disc, I get the usual error. I go to check the unsupported UHD list thread and see V for Vendetta (at least with one OPD) is now supported, so I guess that's not the problem.

I go to retrieve the OPD for the version I have (to compare with the previous one) and can't get it. However, when giving it the logfile, I get:
Code:
ERROR: bus encryption failure.  Check that drive is supported : ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10

When I re-insert the disc, it seems to take an age to scan the TOC with AnyDVD disabled. It could just be my drive has an issue with this particular disc and any errors aren't AnyDVD-related but just reading the disc itself. Other UHDs I have still decrypt fine so it's probably a specific disc issue than my drive failing.

I don't have any other PC-based UHD-friendly drives. The film plays fine in my UHD player.

I forgot to specify that my drive running the Asus 3.10 firmware was initially an LG drive that I cross-flashed to the Asus firmware as the latest UHD-friendly version seemed more reliable. Maybe I ought to try with some different firmware and see if it makes a difference.

Did you try ejecting and re-inserting the disc; that worked for me with several UHDs?

Did you try ejecting and re-inserting the disc; that worked for me with several UHDs?
Yes, several times. No dice. I also tried cross flashing back to the LG firmware but makes no difference. I think this drive and disc has a problem - it doesn't seem to be able to read the TOC at all. But it plays fine in my UHD player!

Ooh I take it back, it can now read the disc, at least the TOC, but still no luck.

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD HD 8.5.0.0, BDPHash.bin 20-03-11)
HL-DT-ST BD-REBH16NS55 1.05
Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)
Current profile: BD-ROM
Media is a Blu-ray disc.

Total size: 43395712 sectors (84757 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: V_FOR_VENDETTA
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 76
Drive supports bus encryption!
Disc wants bus encryption!
Failed to send host key (bus encryption)!
ERROR processing Blu-ray disc!

Any chance you could post a log? I'm not suggesting I can help here, I'm just curious about a couple things if you don't mind.

One thing you could try is quitting AnyDVD before inserting the disc and trying "verify" function of ImgBurn to see if it can read the disc at all. Don't bother with making an image as it looks like the disc wants BE and the image would be useless unless that's peeled off... And just to make sure, it's 1.05-MK not 1.05 "proper" that you've got flashed to the drive, right?

One thing you could try is quitting AnyDVD before inserting the disc and trying "verify" function of ImgBurn to see if it can read the disc at all. Don't bother with making an image as it looks like the disc wants BE and the image would be useless unless that's peeled off... And just to make sure, it's 1.05-MK not 1.05 "proper" that you've got flashed to the drive, right?
Sam,

let them know how to make a proper "encrypted image" if AnyDVD fails to make so.

Correct. Same reason I didn't. Doesn't belong in this forum.

It is a MK / UHD-friendly firmware. Some while ago, I had flashed the drive to the Asus firmware and just flashed back to the LG one in case it made any difference. It doesn't.

However, with AnyDVD disabled, doing a verify in ImgBurn does come up with some errors:

Code:
I 10:25:25 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 10:25:25 Microsoft Windows 8 Enterprise x64 Edition (6.2, Build 9200)
I 10:25:25 Total Physical Memory: 16,724,076 KiB  -  Available: 13,719,500 KiB
I 10:25:25 Initialising SPTI...
I 10:25:25 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
I 10:25:25 -> Drive 1 - Info: ELBY CLONEDRIVE 1.4 (G:) (SCSI)
I 10:25:25 -> Drive 2 - Info: HL-DT-ST BD-RE  BH16NS55 1.05 (E:) (SATA)
I 10:25:25 Found 1 BD-ROM/HD DVD-ROM and 1 BD-RE XL!
I 10:25:36 Operation Started!
I 10:25:36 Source Device: [0:0:0] HL-DT-ST BD-RE  BH16NS55 1.05 (E:) (SATA)
I 10:25:36 Source Media Type: BD-ROM
I 10:25:36 Source Media Supported Read Speeds: 2x, 4x, 5x
I 10:25:36 Source Media Sectors: 43,395,712
I 10:25:36 Source Media Size: 88,874,418,176 bytes
I 10:25:36 Verify Against Image File: No
I 10:25:36 Read Speed (Data/Audio): MAX / MAX
I 10:25:37 Read Speed - Effective: 2x - 5x, 5x - 2x
I 10:25:38 Verifying Session 1 of 1... (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 43395711)
I 10:25:38 Verifying Track 1 of 1... (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 43395711)
I 10:25:38 Verifying Layer 0... (LBA: 0 - 14585631)
W 10:25:52 Failed to Read Sectors 73504 - 73535 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:25:53 Failed to Read Sector 73527 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:25:53 Sector 73527 maps to File: \BDMV\JAR\00000\VForVendetta_UHD01_GER_Composite2.png
W 10:26:34 Retrying (1)...
I 10:26:35 Verifying Sectors...
W 10:26:44 Failed to Read Sectors 127200 - 127231 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:26:52 Failed to Read Sectors 172064 - 172095 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:27:00 Failed to Read Sectors 217824 - 217855 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:27:01 Failed to Read Sector 217872 - Reason: Unknown (ASC: 0x08, ASCQ: 0x05)
W 10:27:01 Sector 217872 maps to File: \BDMV\STREAM\00002.m2ts
W 10:27:05 Retrying (1)...
I 10:27:06 Verifying Sectors...
W 10:27:06 Failed to Read Sector 217889 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:27:06 Sector 217889 maps to File: \BDMV\STREAM\00002.m2ts
W 10:27:07 Retrying (1)...
I 10:27:07 Verifying Sectors...
W 10:27:07 Failed to Read Sector 217936 - Reason: Logical Unit Communication CRC Error (ULTRA-DMA/32)
W 10:27:07 Sector 217936 maps to File: \BDMV\STREAM\00002.m2ts
W 10:27:07 Retrying (1)...
I 10:27:07 Verifying Sectors...

Having never had issues with other discs, I've never tried verifying them so cannot be sure if this error comes up with other discs.

So I guess either my drive is dieing, the disc is dodgy or some freak circumstances mean that my drive has issues with this disc.
I should be getting another copy of the disc to test with so that will be interesting to see if the same issues pop up.

Back