• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

External Blu-Ray Drive

Beatles

Can someone recommended a good external blu ray dvd burner? Thanks

Honestly, almost all external drives are crap in one way or another due to being slim drives for the most part. I'd pick up a 5.25" drive bay enclosure like in the link below and put in a full size internal 5.25" drive. link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vantec-NexS...040334?hash=item41b3c70ace:g:gL4AAOSw-kdX0e1x

As to brands themselves, i live by LG drives (in combination with Verbatim blanks). They've never let me down in over a decade.

Honestly, almost all external drives are crap in one way or another due to being slim drives for the most part. I'd pick up a 5.25" drive bay enclosure like in the link below and put in a full size internal 5.25" drive. link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vantec-NexS...040334?hash=item41b3c70ace:g:gL4AAOSw-kdX0e1x

As to brands themselves, i live by LG drives (in combination with Verbatim blanks). They've never let me down in over a decade.
What brand of internal drive would you recommended? Thanks

I said that in the last line ;) LG, i use 3 of them (see signature)

Sorry, I overlooked that last line. Is the LG WH16NS40 a pretty good drive? I always use Verbatim discs.

Yup, it's the same as my bh16 just with a white font I think. And stick to verbatim, killer combo if you use the real ones (with azo dye logo).

Yup, it's the same as my bh16 just with a white font I think. And stick to verbatim, killer combo if you use the real ones (with azo dye logo).
Thanks for your help!

Do you know if the LG LG WH16NS40 is compatible with windows 8? That is my operating system.

Yup, all optical drives use the same windows driver as they did in the 90's (win 95+) nothing to worry about.

There is also the external LG BE16NU50.

If you choose the Vantec enclosure I would choose a Pioneer Model as they deliver better burn quality with mediocre Blu-Ray blanks.

P.S. in practice USB 2.0 isn't enough for 8x burning.
Some Controllers don't even manage 6x speed reliably.

There is also the external LG BE16NU50.

If you choose the Vantec enclosure I would choose a Pioneer Model as they deliver better burn quality with mediocre Blu-Ray blanks.

P.S. in practice USB 2.0 isn't enough for 8x burning.
Some Controllers don't even manage 6x speed reliably.

Old post but the LG BE16NU50 External drive was rather expensive. I already have the Asus 12x external and it works great on my i7 Quad Dell latitude. Just purchased the external LG BE16NU50 and i'm more then happy with it. Put that on another i7 Quad Dell latitude i have. Yes i know Asus came out with another external 16x but i went for the LG this time. Using SSD drives and AnyDVD and the external BE16NU50 my rips are screaming. If the drive is riplocked i don't know. I don't even know what LG drive is really inside the external case. But i will say this it rips fast and writes great. I only use verbatim blanks so that's all i can say about it plus searching on the net when i seen Best Buy selling them for 109.00 and free 2nd day shipping i jumped the gun. If it was a lemon i would just return it to the local store. Other then that i run it thru USB 3.0 on the docking station. It's just as fast or faster then my internal Pioneers on towers and HTPC. I forgot to add that LG isn't to hip on updating there firmware like Pioneer but the LG drive performs none the less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back