• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Ever wonder why blu-ray is so expensive and why AACS is evil?.....Read ON

Hawk

Here is interesting article about AACS and small movie studios

A simple 1000 disc production could already cost $8k for just disc production, according to an article on DVDA.org which explains all the fees that have to paid in order to even start producing Blu-ray.

In order for High Definition and Blu-ray to become a succes, content makers are essential. Besides big Hollywood studios there also many smaller independent content producers with low volume disc productions. For them Blu-ray might be just too expensive, mainly due to the obligated AACS copy protection on the discs.

Currently, if you even want to start replicating a Blu-ray disc you will have to pay AACS a one time content fee of $3000 to get you started. Then there is a fee per title of $1300 and another $0.04 per disc. Replication of the disc will set you back about $2 per single layer disc and then you just have a disc. Costs of editing and authoring etc. are not even in there. A calculation of the author of the article estimated about $13k for 1000 Blu-ray discs, which is a large amount of money for a small film maker.

Even if you were thinking to distribute your movies on recordable Blu-ray discs then you'll have to purchase BD-R discs, which are about $15-40 a disc currently, even more expensive.

An option would be to make AACS optional, it would certainly make it much cheaper, and who needs AACS on a large set of wedding videos?

Source = http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/AACS-makes-Blu-ray-too-expensive-for-small-film-makers.html

For me best part is, you put billions of dollars, yet get nothing out of it. Or at least what studio wants. (To stop copy of any kind)

This is one of the reasons I was against BluRay. Smaller filmmakers & studios simply may not be able to afford these licensing fees on top of the existing costs of creating, editing, and then producing the discs for sale.

If AACS had been optional like region coding and BD+ then I would have been a little less against BluRay.

So is it safe to say that if I create a family reunion video I by law would need to pay for the AACS stuff too?

So is it safe to say that if I create a family reunion video I by law would need to pay for the AACS stuff too?

No.

If you recorded a reunion on high-def using a high-def digital recorder and burned it to a BD-R/BD-RE disc then no AACS is required. It is on BD-ROM discs that AACS is required. BD-ROM discs are pressed while BD-R/BD-RE are burned.

Make sense?

Yes thanks for the info. I am with the majority here and can only hope that CH-DVD may prevail now but not going to hold my breathe either.

Back